• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger production differences

Here's some pic's of my 68. SPD 1/22/68. I'm assuming this makes my car an early one seeing they were 5 months into production, correct?

Your car has all of the later stuff that's the same on my 12/26/67 Charger, which classifies yours as later built. My early car was built on 11/13/67, so sometime between those two dates is when the "later" changes took place.

Your car has all of the later stuff that's the same on my 12/26/67 Charger, which classifies yours as later built. My early car was built on 11/13/67, so sometime between those two dates is when the "later" changes took place.
Just got onto this forum. I'm in the process of restoring my 68 Charger. It was a promo car. It build date was 07/30/67. It was sold in Elgin, Illinois on the 15th of Sept 1967. The car has many of the features your 11/13/67 car. Just found the build date on the 383. 01/05/67. It's the original motor. Just wondering why such a long time between the engine build date and the assembly date of 07/30/1967.

Wow, that's real early! I can't speak about the engine build, could it be 07/05/67 instead of 01?

Post some pictures when you get a chance.

Just got onto this forum. I'm in the process of restoring my 68 Charger. It was a promo car. It build date was 07/30/67. It was sold in Elgin, Illinois on the 15th of Sept 1967. The car has many of the features your 11/13/67 car. Just found the build date on the 383. 01/05/67. It's the original motor. Just wondering why such a long time between the engine build date and the assembly date of 07/30/1967.
Hi there ayeayemate, thanks for joining. Drop us an intro at the welcome wagon :)

Just found this fantastic thread. Can we narrow down build date by the VIN number? I don't have any documentation on mine.

Probably be better off looking at the date code on several components if you don’t have a fender tag or build sheet, like the k member, Engine - if original, transmission - if original. Can make a close guess within a few weeks most likely to a build date based off of what you come up with for the date codes on those components.

also, you’ll want to start a new thread on the topic :thumbsup:

I've heard the return hose clamps were done both ways. My car (SPD 1/22/68) had the corbin clamp & worm clamp on it when I bought the car. I'm 98% sure this was the orig. hose on the car.

The hose began to leak due to age so I switched it out to the 2 red clamps.

Wondering what other have seen/found.

Capture.PNG
Capture0.PNG

Yeah, It's the correct build date on the Engine. The build date of the 727 is 01/18/67. It is still undergoing a complete restoration. Covid slowed down the availability of some of the AMD metal I needed. Just got the last 2 pieces I needed. We'll go through and rebuild the motor and transmission this winter. The rear has been rebuilt with a suregrip differential upgrade.

Interesting... my 68 was built prior to both of yours (Oct 27, 1967)

It has the following similarities to yours
- bullseye dash medallion
- Trunk structure cut-outs
- The more common outside seat belts
- No shoulder belts
- Long rear belts (with third seat belt)
- Chrome sunvisor bracket
- square-ish arm rests
- small square seat latch nobs
- chrome corners on map pockets
- no holes drilled in hood latch piece
- round vent nobs under dash
- has the funky tail light brackets
- has the plastic around the rear view mirror
- does NOT have the last fastener on the belt molding
- sliding ashtray

Any update with your restoration?

Thank you mark for pointing me to this site, I really never paid much attention to the subtle
differences in models so closely built together. Now I find myself looking at mine more closely. This is just one more way to appreciate the most popular 60's car in the USA!
I see some similarities of the 68 variances in the 69 coming out, and some of the mid year changes rapidly being Influenced by the next newer model. Time never stands still!

Ya ...just found this thread to...I have a 5/17/68 built car that's almost all original....can't wait to start comparing things!

there’s a ton of knowledge from people on this site who are quite gracious to help - it’s a great site for people like me who know **** ..

Auto Transport Service
Back