• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger R/T Amp Gauge Pegging Out

classiccar68

Local time
8:34 AM
Reaction score
Members,

After three years of restoration, I am close to finishing up the car. The latest problem is my amp gauge is pegging out. The battery is not overcharging and I changed out the voltage regulator - no change. I have an period correct reproduction battery (red top with small battery inside the battery case) in the car. Any assistance solving the mystery would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Disconnect the battery, shut everything done and do an ohm check of the system. Make real sure nothing is shorting out. Then try again.

The ammeter, and more often the leads going to it, are actually in the charging loop of the system. A common weak link in this system is where the lead passes through the firewall connector from the engine compartment into the interior; meltdowns occur there and that specific wiring has been known to sizzle (and even cause fires!).

Some folks choose to simply run new wiring to replace this lead, bypassing the firewall connector altogether.

What you describe could also be a wide open field in the alternator as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back