• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Coronet 4dr Windshield Installation

Diz TheFiddler

Local time
11:32 AM
Reaction score
Just tried to install the windshield, but we couldnt get it into the gasket. No chance. Could it be that the gasket is too thick? I have the one from Dantesparts. It looked like it was of good quality. But i really cant imagine how to get the windshield into it. Is there another source of windshield gaskets for a 68 Coronet 4door?

Just tried to install the windshield, but we couldnt get it into the gasket. No chance. Could it be that the gasket is too thick? I have the one from Dantesparts. It looked like it was of good quality. But i really cant imagine how to get the windshield into it. Is there another source of windshield gaskets for a 68 Coronet 4door?

The windshield gasket must be on the w/shield its self. The 4dr w/s is taller than the 2dr hdtp, and the 2dr sedan, or what they call the post car. When installing the w/s, with gasket on, sit the bottom of the shield
in the pinch weld from the outside. I should of told you first, to get a good quality of smaller string, but tough stuff so it will not
break on you, and wrap the string around
the outside, body pinch weld side. Try to make sure you keep the string to the interior
side of pinch weld so when pulling on the
string it won't break on you. You can coat the
outside groove with some Vaseline, or some guys like to use liquid dish soap. MAKE SURE
TO PULL THE STRING FROM THE INSIDE OF YOUR CAR! This is about the best way I know of, personally taught to me by my father. Good luck on safely installing your windshield.

I’m seeing a 3” difference in height on my 4 door, and wagon compared to the 2 door H/T.

Yeah, What Dodge33 stated. 5/32'' cord 1/4'' max cotton type. Anything thinner can cut the rubber.
Soak with soapy water and install in the grove around complete rubber for the pinch weld . You must have a helper, much easier with help.Center top or bottom is you choice with where you want to start.
Overlap the cord at center and give yourself some extra (1-2 ft) to grab hold of. Pull straight this allows the rubber flap to go over the pinch weld on the inside. Work the corners slowly. Have some one on the outside apply pressure while pulling the cords. Have helper tap with a open palm of hand.It vibrates the glass to help seat.Slowly work the cord out. How do I know ? I am in the process now on my own car.
Lots of You Tube videos on how to do it.

Last edited:
You can use sealer for windshield on the outer pinch weld using a hook tool to lift the rubber and applying a bead.
Then using the same technic apply the sealer to the outer glass side rubber lifting the rubber away from the glass
and running a bead. Last is to snap in the locking bead. On you 68 it may have a flap to lock in or a separate locking trim that installs in the grove.

It also may help you alot, is to go to a good auto glass shop, and buy a couple different types of plastic or nylon glass prying handles
for getting the windshield rubber behind the pinch weld from the inside of the car. They work great when you need one.

buy a couple different types of plastic or nylon glass prying handles
Harbor Freight has them. A must needed tool, also a hook tool such as a cotter pin puller.
But be careful with metal tools. I had to use one for the corners. Just finished the installation of mine yesterday with the neighbor's help.

Thany you very much for your help guys. Hopefully we can get it in at the weekend.

Auto Transport Service
Back