• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 radios

91r/t

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:52 AM
Reaction score
I have a quick question...I have 2 68’s and neither radio works. I don’t care if they don’t work but are they supposed to light up at all? They are both plugged in, and neither light up with dash lights. Is there a bulb inside the unit or above it or don’t they light up?

Bulb is separate circuit on dash lights. Bulb is replaceable from top of radio.

Do I have to yank the radio out or can I jimmy my hand up there?

To answer the question, the light comes on when the radio is turned on or when dash lights are activated.
And yeah, you gotta yank the radio to get at it.

Well looks like another project for when I have some spare time.....I'll get to it eventually. Both 68's need it replaced.

To test it to be sure before you take it out, there is a 2 wire connector with a red and an orange wire coming out of it. Do not confuse it with the other connector that has a green wire - that is for the speaker. Pull the connector apart and apply 12 volts to the orange wire. If bulb is OK it will then light up. Don't worry if you also connect the 12 volts to the red wire as that one supplies power to the radio. Just turn the radio off before you apply the juice to the orange wire.
the light comes on when the radio is turned on or when dash lights are activated.
The light coming on has nothing to do with the radio being on or off. The light is only controlled by the dash light dimmer switch. If the dash lights are on and the radio is off, the light will be on. If the dash lights are off and the radio is on, the light will not be on.

Last edited:
To test it to be sure before you take it out, there is a 2 wire connector with a red and an orange wire coming out of it. Do not confuse it with the other connector that has a green wire - that is for the speaker. Pull the connector apart and apply 12 volts to the orange wire. If bulb is OK it will then light up. Don't worry if you also connect the 12 volts to the red wire as that one supplies power to the radio. Just turn the radio off before you apply the juice to the orange wire.

The light coming on has nothing to do with the radio being on or off. The light is only controlled by the dash light dimmer switch. If the dash lights are on and the radio is off, the light will be on. If the dash lights are off and the radio is on, the light will not be on.
Well yes, the assumption is that nobody drives around with their dash lights turned off.... :screwy:

Auto Transport Service
Back