• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 rr Rear end help? Can u tell from pic?

Answer Book

Local time
6:20 PM
Reaction score
I have a 68 rr and this is a bad pic of the rear end under it.... can anyone tell just by a couple of bad pics what it is...
what are all the possibilities of rear end for this??
I have very very little knowledge on this subject....
ANY AND ALL help would be appreciated
1015181326c.jpg
1015181326d.jpg

Heres a 8 1/4...
IMG_2173_web.jpg

Heres a 8 3/4...
IMG_2322.jpg

The 8 1/4 has a cover bolted on the back. The 8 3/4 doesn't have a cover on the back and the center section is removed from the front.

If you have a sure grip, when both wheels are off the ground, both wheels will turn in the same direction when turning one wheel. If its not a sure grip (open rear), one wheel will turn one direction while the other turns the opposite, or the one won't spin at all while turning the opposite.

Heres a 8 1/4...
View attachment 668250

Heres a 8 3/4...
View attachment 668251

The 8 1/4 has a cover bolted on the back. The 8 3/4 doesn't have a cover on the back and the center section is removed from the front.

If you have a sure grip, when both wheels are off the ground, both wheels will turn in the same direction when turning one wheel. If its not a sure grip (open rear), one wheel will turn one direction while the other turns the opposite, or the one won't spin at all while turning the opposite.
Thank you very much for the great info and the pics... I think you both nailed it... looks like 8 1/4 to me also

That Differential is NOT out of a RoadRunner. It seems to be out of a low Horsepower Sattelite.
All RoadRunners had 8-3/4 or Dana 60 series rear-ends. A 383 would trash the 8-1/4 pretty
easily.

That Differential is NOT out of a RoadRunner. It seems to be out of a low Horsepower Sattelite.
All RoadRunners had 8-3/4 or Dana 60 series rear-ends. A 383 would trash the 8-1/4 pretty
easily.
WOW!!! thank you for that info... it is a road runner(body and title)... didn't realize wasn't correct rear end under it... very good info... thanks

I don't believe that any 8 1/4 axles were used in passenger cars until 1972. Trucks starting in 1969.
Doug

You can see that the brake lines aren't hooked up or the e-brake cables. Someone swapped it out for the rear but still needed it mobile.

I have a 69 Satellite with a factory installed 383 two barrel, single exhaust. It has a 8 1/4 rear which I'm very certain is the rear it came from the factory with.

I have a 69 Satellite with a factory installed 383 two barrel, single exhaust. It has a 8 1/4 rear which I'm very certain is the rear it came from the factory with.
Interesting. My originally-318-equipped Satellite has the factory 8-3/4. But, it's a '68.

Just like a bunch of Mopar buttheads. Fussin' over a half-inch....:lol:

I've read articles that while on the assembly line, workers were allowed to put "better" parts
on lesser equipped cars when they ran out of Plain Jane parts. I had a Dodge Dart with a slant
six with Kelsey-Hayes disc brakes on the front. When I went to the auto parts store to buy
parts for a brake job, they didn't believe it.

Auto Transport Service
Back