• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger Steering column removal

robl72

Local time
6:21 AM
Reaction score
69 Charger Manual steering.

It’s been awhile since I’ve done this… when punching out the the pin on the coupler does it matter what side I punch it from. Any tips or shortcuts appreciated.

It's just a 5/16th split pin in a straight bore hole! Remember, the lead in countersink is LARGER than the actually pin hole, so pick a punch accordingly.

I thought so on the direction and punch sizing but was lacking some confidence. Came out really quickly once I decided to man up and do it.

Thanks guys!

Important - keep in mind that the main shaft is like a “collapsible antennae”, so don’t pry or pound very hard up or down. It’s just some tiny plastic pins that keep the shaft at the correct length…can be repaired, but annoying to do

So I am starting to clean detail my column now. Two Questions.

1.Did 69 Chargers originally have a Black shaft cover. I see one in the book part # 2883306. If so how did it get mounted? I have attached a pic below of what I think it is?

Shaft Cover.jpg

2. What was the color of the main shaft as seen in the engine ? Mine is currently painted a Silver grey but I know its not original paint.

Thanks in advance

So I am starting to clean detail my column now. Two Questions.

1.Did 69 Chargers originally have a Black shaft cover. I see one in the book part # 2883306. If so how did it get mounted? I have attached a pic below of what I think it is?

View attachment 1602728.

2. What was the color of the main shaft as seen in the engine ? Mine is currently painted a Silver grey but I know its not original paint.

Thanks in advance
That sleeve is split down the length and is held together on the column with black tape.

OK . I have that tape. Now I just have to find the cover.... LOL

Anyone have an idea on the color of the main shaft that extends into the Engine bay?

OK . I have that tape. Now I just have to find the cover.... LOL

Anyone have an idea on the color of the main shaft that extends into the Engine bay?
Also covered in that link. Some couplers and lower shafts were dipped inn Black paint and some left bare.

Also covered in that link. Some couplers and lower shafts were dipped inn Black paint and some left bare.
Sorry totally missed the link.... Thank you!

Just to follow up on the question of shaft color. I saw in the other post where it says they were either left bare or dipped in black paint… generally speaking would a 69 Charger from Hamtramck been painted or left bare.. anyone have their Charger still original?

Just to follow up on the question of shaft color. I saw in the other post where it says they were either left bare or dipped in black paint… generally speaking would a 69 Charger from Hamtramck been painted or left bare.. anyone have their Charger still original?
Can't help you there but I imagine it was a supplier vs carline deal. Or Dodge vs Plymoth. Both my '69 Dodge Bee and Justin's '69 Plymouth GTX where built at Lynch Road. Both 4 speeds, so same column. Mine came out the end door bare, his was dipped in Black paint.

Wow that’s interesting. I know it’s been said before you never know with MOPAR. If anyone has a Charger please chime in.

Thank. You

Last edited:
Hi guys . Further into the steering column. I have an auto column shift. My question is if I remove the coupler the lower shaft pin and bearing should the trans shift tube slide out from the bottom without having to remove the shaft from the top. I’ve tried but the tube gets caught halfway down the shaft. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back