• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 N96 air cleaner bases.

Burns69RT

Local time
5:13 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone used the 440 air cleaner base on a 383 to run and eddy rpm intake and have the air grabber system? Heard the sat lower. If anything I know I could shave the base down where it would sit on the carb. Just figured it’d work better than the 383 base.

I just put my Bee together and used the 440 base for added hood clearance for the air grabber. I wanted to use the Edelbrock RPM also, but it is not possible with the ductwork. Ended up with a Weiand Action + and a 3/16" carb gasket and it fits perfect.

So this should work? I can’t remember how much taller the rpm dual plain is over stock.
The RPM is 1 15/16" taller than the stock 383 manifold.

I just put my Bee together and used the 440 base for added hood clearance for the air grabber. I wanted to use the Edelbrock RPM also, but it is not possible with the ductwork. Ended up with a Weiand Action + and a 3/16" carb gasket and it fits perfect.
I’m curious if shaving down the carb hat on the base lower would allow it to work with the ductwork.

I’m curious if shaving down the carb hat on the base lower would allow it to work with the ductwork.
You have a long way to go. Also the round area that sits on the carb starts tapering out to a bigger diameter after a 1/2" or so. If you chopped off 1.5", what would be left will be to big to fit the carb. Anything is possible I guess, but I gave up messing with it. Maybe one of the cheap fiberglass bases could be modified easier, but those don't come with the carb studs either.

You have a long way to go. Also the round area that sits on the carb starts tapering out to a bigger diameter after a 1/2" or so. If you chopped off 1.5", what would be left will be to big to fit the carb. Anything is possible I guess, but I gave up messing with it. Maybe one of the cheap fiberglass bases could be modified easier, but those don't come with the carb studs either.
I noticed that about the fiberglass ones.

Auto Transport Service
Back