• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'69 road runner......like I needed another!

Thank you very much Sir. I'm not a pro, but I'm definitely getting better all the time. I was thinking yesterday as I was patching, this is good practice for when I actually install the new quarters etc. But I will admit, I have many pieces from cars I have cut apart, so finding the right curves and shapes sure makes things a lot easier than having to fully form them by hand!

Today's piece is a little more intricate. But not too bad. It's not perfect by any mean, but it is only temporary so it will do. I had to take a coffee break to let it cool. I wont be using any putty on the car so I want it to stay fairly straight, fairly!

IMG_3550.JPG

IMG_3551.JPG

IMG_3552.JPG

IMG_3553.JPG

Thank you very much Homstead. Much appreciated.
And the "for now" finished product! I think I got the survivor match pretty good if I do say so myself. It's a little bright behind the wheel but I can dull that up!

IMG_3554.JPG

IMG_3555.JPG

IMG_3556.JPG

Thanks for all the great pictures. I'm in the same process but far from driving (prob 2 years away from a running driving car) I need to do my trunk pan ad was hopeful to see some "tricks" and you've given me a good sense of what I'm in for. I'm now less worried.
Thanks,Joe

image.jpeg

You're more than welcome. I am by no means professional, but I believe we all can do more to our cars than we think we are capable of. I am just practicing for when I do the big stuff and showing my methods and progress while I'm at it. In a couple days I will be picking up the rear window corner repair kit from my supplier. That will be a whole new process for me! There are tons of pros on here that have helped me along the way without even knowing it. I can't imagine having taken on this type of repair before the internet. Good luck on the road runner.

Last edited:
Thank you 69b3rt, I thought there was possibly a mistake made there, I'll switch them around. Glad it's caught now before I wondered why my brakes were so poor.
Thanx Mopower, The garage is my real baby! I've got tools and I'm gaining know how daily. Money? Well we never have enough of that! The wife, she loves my addiction too as it is far better than some other things a guy could be doing!

- - - Updated - - -

I just got off the phone with the parts store. The rear wheel cylinders are $13 each and in stock. A rebuild kit is $6. You can't even justify rebuilding them. I'm going to get new ones instead of taking a chance of leaking with the old. I should have done this yesterday.

I thought and did the same thing. If the one on the car are originals (big part number engraved on the side) I would keep them for future use if you want to "make it stock"

You're more than welcome. I am by no means professional, but I believe we all can do more to our cars than we think we are capable of. I am just practicing for when I do the big stuff and showing my methods and progress while I'm at it. In a couple days I will be picking up the rear window corner repair kit from my supplier. That will be a whole new process for me! There are tons of pros on here that have helped me along the way without even knowing it. I can't imagine having taken on this type of repair before the internet. Good luck on the road runner.
that is some pretty dawn good work there,adding the quarters will be a piece of cake for you.

Before the internet.....man, that seems so long ago lol. Before I got the internet it wasn't too hard to find cars that were not rusted and for decent prices. We got the net in 95 and I got my 66 Belvedere I in 89 for 1150. Yeah, it's a /6 car with auto but it had factory AC which ended up working just fine after checking it out and charging it. Threw on decent tires and wheels and put in decent seats and drove it for 10 years. Best thing is it's nearly rust free. Just one small area in the right side quarter and looks like someone turned a battery over in the left side back seat foot well. AC cars usually leak water and rot out the right side floor especially on cars with factory rubber mat. On hard turns you will get the passenger's feet wet. My first Belvedere back in the late 60's did the same thing. Posts like this help get me inspired to get back to work on it....it's only been in pieces for 17 years :(

Before the internet.....man, that seems so long ago lol. Before I got the internet it wasn't too hard to find cars that were not rusted and for decent prices. We got the net in 95 and I got my 66 Belvedere I in 89 for 1150. Yeah, it's a /6 car with auto but it had factory AC which ended up working just fine after checking it out and charging it. Threw on decent tires and wheels and put in decent seats and drove it for 10 years. Best thing is it's nearly rust free. Just one small area in the right side quarter and looks like someone turned a battery over in the left side back seat foot well. AC cars usually leak water and rot out the right side floor especially on cars with factory rubber mat. On hard turns you will get the passenger's feet wet. My first Belvedere back in the late 60's did the same thing. Posts like this help get me inspired to get back to work on it....it's only been in pieces for 17 years :(
Mr. Cranky! 17 yrs! might I say, " get off ya *** and get at it man!" ha

the OP takes my approach. cut out the rust and get it solid. I admit my body/paint work might not be perfect, but I will get it on the road and enjoy it. I could make it perfect but at 68 I give out before that! ha
ya just gotta love these old runners!!!!
and by the way, I bought a 67 Bel 1 last fall for $1000 running slant, BUT mine had some rust! ( 300 mi away!) ha

Mr. Cranky! 17 yrs! might I say, " get off ya *** and get at it man!" ha

the OP takes my approach. cut out the rust and get it solid. I admit my body/paint work might not be perfect, but I will get it on the road and enjoy it. I could make it perfect but at 68 I give out before that! ha
ya just gotta love these old runners!!!!
and by the way, I bought a 67 Bel 1 last fall for $1000 running slant, BUT mine had some rust! ( 300 mi away!) ha
Wish I could say I was on my ***. 27 years ago I was working at the refinery full time and owned a furniture store with my wife. Was also building engines and rear ends and doing mods on other people's car. This was at a time when my youngest was only a year old. Don't remember sleeping all that much back then. Now I'm old and worn out...

Wish I could say I was on my ***. 27 years ago I was working at the refinery full time and owned a furniture store with my wife. Was also building engines and rear ends and doing mods on other people's car. This was at a time when my youngest was only a year old. Don't remember sleeping all that much back then. Now I'm old and worn out...

I was just kidding! old and wore out!?? me too! ha...

I a dmit I just don't have the patience to have real long projects.. but, no days, money slows me down more than strength, although that is getting to be pretty darn poor! ha
other carp too... last week I ordered freeze plugs kits from O Reilly, SB and BB.... neither was right...... got a few in, pissed, found a few in my pile of parts... so now I have 2 partial kits they will not no doubt NOT take back, no big $$ added up to $12-15 for the pair. just money! and time.. and aggrevation!? ha

I was just kidding! old and wore out!?? me too! ha...

I a dmit I just don't have the patience to have real long projects.. but, no days, money slows me down more than strength, although that is getting to be pretty darn poor! ha
other carp too... last week I ordered freeze plugs kits from O Reilly, SB and BB.... neither was right...... got a few in, pissed, found a few in my pile of parts... so now I have 2 partial kits they will not no doubt NOT take back, no big $$ added up to $12-15 for the pair. just money! and time.. and aggrevation!? ha
I know you were kidding....right? :D Life sure got in the way on mine. It was going to be pretty much my last full build. Done a lot to it already but it's still not a roller yet (even though it has been twice now) and I know about the money. Seems like every time I get ahead a bit, something comes up and takes it. Wife had to go into the hospital in May this year and I was sick twice...once in January and then again in March and both times took a good 6 weeks to get to feeling good again so it's been catch up for all the things that were on the table this year. The first half of the year has been kinda trying. Now that I'm about caught up working in the house, the outside temps are only in the upper 90's! Well, at least they haven't been over 100.....it's still early in August yet lol.

You just lost that car, I can tell he bonded with it. Great looking lad.

LOL, ya know, if he gets to the age and is interested in "old" cars, he would be more than welcome to it! His parents sure want it. I will be doing everything I can to make sure he learns, enjoys and builds cars. He is the future of our passion. :)

Thought I had a new young one coming into the fold. My wife and I used to go to the track a lot and when my wife was pregnant with our youngest, we were still going and we even raced each other. After the 'newbie' was born, we'd take her quite often and continued with that tradition but when she turned 10, it was like the light burnt out. She didn't want to do anymore. :( She still likes cars but the passion, if she ever had it wasn't there anymore.

Auto Transport Service
Back