• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Roadrunner 6.1 Hemi Swap

2. The piston Bore of the master cylinder is 1" part number 261-13269
https://www.wilwood.com/Search/PartNoSearch?q=261 13269

3. Wilwood disc brake kit part number 140-9918 dr 12.19” diameter rotors
https://www.wilwood.com/Search/PartNoSearch?q=140 9918

4. This is my booster. Very similar to the one in the posted link
IMG_0331_zpskcqb957o.jpg

IMG_0330%202_zps8cnr8i4s.jpg

5. I believe the firewall came with the Kit from Ram Man. I will try to take pictures. I assume this is the plate in the engine bay.

6. I don't know what a "Z" bar is, maybe help me ID the parts location and i can picture.

Appreciate all the help. I put this project away for 6 months because I was so discouraged. Hoping to wrap it up so... So close... yet SO far!

Z

I will continue on this thread for the questions. (should this thread be moved to the "hemi swap section?)

1. Understood, it is a stock brake pedal that came with the car. 69 RR with drums all around.
View attachment 666247
View attachment 666248

No need to go any further. It looks like someone already drilled a hole BELOW the factory hole, and it is this (incorrect) hole that you've got the rod installed through. See the hole above it? Install the rod to that hole. Problem should be solved.

IMG_0343_zpsqinybgbg.jpg

This is what it's supposed to look like - rod level with the horizon:

img_3660-jpg-jpg.jpg

I'll leave it to the armchair engineers to argue as to whether the new hole - now below the pivot - presents a weak point in your pedal or not. Probably not a bad idea to weld a plug into it.

-Kurt

No need to go any further. It looks like someone already drilled a hole BELOW the factory hole, and it is this (incorrect) hole that you've got the rod installed through. See the hole above it? Install the rod to that hole. Problem should be solved.

View attachment 666302

This is what it's supposed to look like - rod level with the horizon:

View attachment 666306

I'll leave it to the armchair engineers to argue as to whether the new hole - now below the pivot - presents a weak point in your pedal or not. Probably not a bad idea to weld a plug into it.

-Kurt

The hole was never there, anxious and frustrated I took the word of a Wilwood representative and drilled that second hole and installed last night.

Problem existed prior to drilling the hole.

The hole was never there, anxious and frustrated I took the word of a Wilwood representative and drilled that second hole and installed last night.

Problem existed prior to drilling the hole.

Only possible explanation is that the pedal arm was replaced at some point. (Clarification: Replaced with one from a different Mopar, as in "not necessarily this generation B-body").

Does it work correctly when installed in that hole? It should. The power brake pedal travel is notably lower and shorter than manual, but it should still function properly.

-Kurt

Last edited:
Yes aren’t there two different arms for manual and power?

Yes aren’t there two different arms for manual and power?

For this year, not that I know of. That's part of the reason the bellcrank is there. It provides a slight mechanical advantage and a convenient way to get two offset - but parallel - rods to operate as one along the same axis.

Case in point, the photo I posted above of the bellcrank is of my '68 Satellite set up with a Bendix-style repop booster. Here's the exact same brake pedal arm with the manual setup it had from factory (not the original booster, obviously). Didn't have to change anything at the brake pedal.

28856973453_78b579aa66_c.jpg

If I were to hazard a guess - and I'm basing this guess off the firewall plates I've ID'ed in the past - I wouldn't be surprised if Z's brake pedal and arm are off a '62-65 B-body. The master cylinder mounting/stiffening plates from those cars are notably taller than the '67-70 B-body plates, and the MC mountings lower.

Assuming the pedal's location did not change over the years, it stands to reason that the rod would sit lower, and need a lower hole on the brake pedal rod to compensate.

I could be wrong, but it's not a bad theory.

-Kurt

Auto Transport Service
Back