• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Super Bee Rebuild (my way)

Hope yours works better than mine. I'm debating going with an aluminum this time.

I have the aluminum one from Cass, 15/16". It works but it is my second one. The first wouldn't bleed. Cass hooked me up with the replacement.

What did you find out on the master cylinder Joel?

What did you find out on the master cylinder Joel?
Apparently it is good and just the nature of the beast, but I don't like it. I have put about 75 miles on the car now. It does stop it, but won't lock up the wheels in a panic stop. I found some other threads on the net with guys running the same setup as me complaining about the same issues. 15/16" master cylinder, 11.75" rotors, 2.75" single piston calipers, 7/8" rear wheel cylinders. They all switched to a 1 1/32" master and it cured the problem.
As for right now, I have no leaks and it is stopping the car. I am going to put the exact same setup that's on my Bee on my Road Runner, replacing a kit I got from Pirate Jack years ago. I will be ordering that from Cass this weekend with the one exception that I will be using a 1 1/32" master cylinder. Then I will have a perfect comparison between the 2 bore sizes. Right now I anticipate replacing the master cylinder in the Bee with the bigger bore.
My shifter is not working as it should, so I talked to Jamie Passon yesterday and he thinks the spring is getting weak. Told me to send it to him and he would take care of it for nothing and send it back the same day as he receives it. That's pretty awesome of him since the shifter was one I had that I took apart and rebuilt. Might have something to do with the fact that he needs to send me a couple of small gaskets that are leaking on the transmission I bought from him.
I am getting detonation when getting on the go pedal and found out that my total timing is coming in at 2360 rpm, to fast I think. Brian at IMM forgot to send the MSD spring kit back to me with the motor, so he is mailing that out today.
So the Bee is probably going to be sitting for a week or so till I get these parts back.

Thanks, never heard of that before.
Cass tried to help me sort my brake problem. Like you, mine won't lock up. I have power brakes and Cass' front and rear disc kit. My "new" barely used repop booster leaked and was replaced. I tried 2 of the 1 1/8" Mopar plastic disc/disc MC but the caps leaked on both. Wilwood MC solved the leak issue but not the other. I'm still trying to get the brakes to lock up.

BTW, I tried manual brakes with different MCs but didn't like the feel and lack of stopping power.

Cass tried to help me sort my brake problem. Like you, mine won't lock up. I have power brakes and Cass' front and rear disc kit. My "new" barely used repop booster leaked and was replaced. I tried 2 of the 1 1/8" Mopar plastic disc/disc MC but the caps leaked on both. Wilwood MC solved the leak issue but not the other. I'm still trying to get the brakes to lock up.

BTW, I tried manual brakes with different MCs but didn't like the feel and lack of stopping power.
A buddy of mine is complaining about the plastic caps on his leaking also. I read somewhere that guys are replacing the caps with some made by Dorman. Why is everything made so crappy nowadays?
I don't know, maybe I will just buy a cast 1 1/32" mc from Rock Auto and get everything else from Cass.

A buddy of mine is complaining about the plastic caps on his leaking also. I read somewhere that guys are replacing the caps with some made by Dorman. Why is everything made so crappy nowadays?
I don't know, maybe I will just buy a cast 1 1/32" mc from Rock Auto and get everything else from Cass.
I bought the first MC from Summit. I requested a replacement and they sent another but did not want the first one back. $32, go figure. Made in China.

There's a YT video showing how to fix the GM caps with Dorman seals. You can buy Dorman seals or the caps with seals.

I bought the first MC from Summit. I requested a replacement and they sent another but did not want the first one back. $32, go figure. Made in China.

There's a YT video showing how to fix the GM caps with Dorman seals. You can buy Dorman seals or the caps with seals.
Been talking to Cass today. He is really pushing me in the direction of an aluminum mc. I will probably listen to him, but buy some Dorman caps from him right away. We all know how my luck goes with these types of things.......

Keep us posted. I'll be interested if I need to change mine out. I do have skinnies up front and discs on the back so really curious on how this plays out. I would think they would at least lock up.

Any master cylinder
I ordered an entire new brake system except for spindles and front to rear hard line for my Road Runner. Everything is exactly the same as what's on this Bee, except I went with the 1 1/32" aluminum master cylinder instead of the 15/16". I am hoping to get it all installed this weekend. Then I will have an exact comparison between mc's. I really dislike the 15/16 cast unit on the Bee.

Will the calipers be the same?
The spindles are the same, but the caliper brackets are different. The calipers from Cass are black with 2 bleeders on each one whereas the calipers from Pirate Jacks are shipped raw cast with only 1 bleeder. Bore size is the same.

Auto Transport Service
Back