• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Challenger Carburetor Reference

Go Fly

Local time
3:59 AM
Reaction score
I am restoring my 70 Challenger RT/SE with the numbers matching 383 engine.

It has a factory looking Holley and wondering how to see if its the correct carb or not.

I am restoring my 70 Challenger RT/SE with the numbers matching 383 engine.

It has a factory looking Holley and wondering how to see if its the correct carb or not.
WHich hood? I believe the fresh air N96 option had a 4160 series Holley. The others had a Carter AVS

It is possible, I’d recommend posting the fender tag, cover the last of the vin if you prefer. It will tell you what options it had and if it was a federal or Cali emissions car. Also if it’s a auto or manual trans .. Do you have the numbers off the air horn?

Thanks,

The hood has the 2 inlet scoops

Mark

Thanks,

I can post all of that.

Will get it posted this week. I am happy that it might be a possibility.

Mark

Every 1970 challenger R/T 383 came with a Holley carb. Couldn’t come with a carter AVS at all.

Need to know all the details to know which part number

Every 1970 challenger R/T 383 came with a Holley carb. Couldn’t come with a carter AVS at all.

Need to know all the details to know which part number
On the front of the choke airhorn is a "list-xxxx" and a three or four digit date code. Give us that, and we can tell you what you've got.

If you’re not already a member, register on e-bodies.org and introduce yourself. It is absolutely the best e body site on the internet. You’ll get a wealth of help there for your restoration.

Please see attached pics and hopefully can help.

Thanks!

20211115_181505.jpg 20211115_181459.jpg 20211115_181449.jpg 20211115_181413.jpg 20211115_173358.jpg

That is an aftermarket carb, not factory.
I see you have a 383 automatic without N95 or H51
The carb you need is a 4368

Last edited:
Yep, sorry, the ultimate generic 600 cfm aftermarket carb. Yours is the third version (the -3) I think there are about twelve now. Could have probably bought that carb, along with a Big Mac at McDonald's.

Yep,

Really appreciate everyones help no matter how painful
Until I get my hands on a core any recommendations on what would be close to stock? Building my engine stock specs and running an automatic

The carb you have will probably work as well as the "right" carb. I would buy a carb kit, clean up what you have, and run it till you find the correct carb.
And good luck with your search.
Edit: a 600cfm is an almost perfect match for a stock or mild build 383.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back