• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Charger R/T SE Daytona sunroof project is starting soon.

Blood, sweat and beers,that's what it takes to build these cars,and tonight I got all three in! I cut and modified the front fenders to receive the steel Daytona front valance pan, and.it is a big awkward piece of steel to install by yourself! I put it on the car,and the bottom of the radiator support was bent forward just enough to keep the valance pan from lining up correctly with the fenders so when I released the vise grip pliers to take it back down to tweak the radiator support, it slipped out of my hands and rather than let the valance pan hit the floor, I caught it, but not without incurring an injury! I am numbing the pain with Budweiser! Lol it's a fragle piece and I didn't want to see it get damaged! Plastic parts some people use on their wing cars are lighter and easier to install, but don't have the longevity of as original steel pieces!

View attachment 1349749
Just another scar to show off when you tell your build story.

It's not the first time a valence bit me. I had the rear valance pan from my 71 Challenger convertible leaning against the wall in my other garage, and when I went to turn on the light switch I ran my thumb down the metal edge of the valence pan in the dark! Seven stitches later it was good as new!

After my 14 hour day at work, all I am going to do tonight is remove the headlight mounting brackets. I figure if I can atleast do one thing to or for the car a day,I would be still making progress on the project. It is very important to retain the headlight pods and hardware as it will all be reused and mounted in the Daytona headlight bucket assemblies.

Johnny cash built a car one piece at a time, worked out for him
I didn't REALLY work out that well. :)
1664501762233.png

With all the skill and precision of the brain surgeon I am,I carefully wielded my grinder and removed the headlight brackets from the fenders.

20220929_213814.jpg

20220929_213804.jpg

I worked at Chrysler at the time, and it didn't cost me a dime, to build this 68 69 70 automobile! I slipped a 440 Sixpack out the back, and the supervisor dammed near had a heart attack when he noticed that one was gone from the assembly line! I took a Dana 60 from a new dump truck, and the supervisor, he was **** out of luck but me and my new hot rod were doing fine! I built it one piece at a time and it didn't cost me a dime for this 68 69 70 automobile! I stole a big long handle from the stamping press,and those fellas from Hurst were mighty impressed, and they was thinking about making it a new shifter design, it was about that time I let it slip, that I call that thing a Pistol Grip,they said hey man we think that name is gonna be just fine! I built it one piece at a time and it didn’t cost me a dime for this 68 69 70 automobile!

Last edited:
So I got a promotion to interior design, and wouldn't you know it was there I would find, a nice pair of shiney black high back bucket seats! They were genuine leather from a Charger SE, I thought man those seats were made for me, so I waited until no one was looking and made them mine! Well the next day at work I started hearing the talk, bout how they couldn't believe that seats could get up and walk, I barely made it through the day till quitting time. On my way out the door, there on a rack was a woodgrain rallye cluster with a tic tock tach ,I said that would sure make my dashboard look real fine! I built it one piece at a time and it didn't cost me a dime for this 68 69 70 automobile!

Last edited:
Today I started working on the nosecone assembly. I had removed one of the headlight buckets because someone wanted pictures of it. I got the bucket reinstalled. I had to remove the whole Z bar assembly to get it back in.

I found a few more pictures of this car on Moparts. I am excited,this is going to be a stunning car!

00006.jpg

00003.jpg

00001.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back