• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 440 RB motor BS

PAPA_E

Local time
9:29 PM
Reaction score
So,

While attempting to fix a exhaust leak i found out why the previous owner never fixed this issue.

The oem head on the oem motor had some quality shade tree fixes. Two bolts were snapped and rested in place with JB weld, One stud nut was expertly cross threaded. So clearly the head has to come off and with the issues and the local machine shops appearing to be a loose band of drunk monkeys I am looking for aftermarket options.

I honestly dont wish to tackle a cam swap at this time, i just want to get the car back on the road while i weigh the options of building this motor or another. So I found 440 stealth heads.

With a stock shortblock, are the stealth heads a bad idea? I am looking at a mild intake and newer carb. However keeping the stock cam should i replace the lifters, pushrods? Can i use OEM rockers on the stealth heads? Im used to LS engines and realize this are not as easy to work on but not overly hard either. Stealth heads are 499 complete ea and so this is more a budget top end tune up to keep the car on the road over performance for now.

also is 440source open right now with the end of the world upon us? I called and the voice message said they are closed but its during their normal stated open hours?

I've heard good things about the stealth heads. I think they did have some cracking problems years ago.
Yes you can basically stick them in and re-use all your other stock parts.
You might want to consider a timing chain...

I've heard good things about the stealth heads. I think they did have some cracking problems years ago.
Yes you can basically stick them in and re-use all your other stock parts.
You might want to consider a timing chain...

I was hoping to not get that deep. I mean at that point i might as well just toss the cam in. The real issue is i dont have **** for a shop, and use the Naval base autohobby and their air tools for the fun stuff. well its been closed and appears to remain closed for the next month or two and im hoping to simply get the car back on the road. My main concern is the crank bolt and that all the work is done outside in a parking lot for the time being.

Did the same thing years ago, had a crack in one of my 906's. Dollar for dollar, better than replacing one and rebuilding the 906's. Bolt on right out of the box, no steel head gaskets allowed, a set of Felpro's will do. A reasonable investment, and when you are ready to tear into a rebuild, at least you have a good start on the top end.

IMG_0310.JPG

Can't say anything bad about the Stealth heads. Out of the box, they'll flow better than any stock ported head. With port work down the road, easily support 600+ hp with the supporting engine mods. And you save a ton of weight. Win/win.

I am absolutely blown away by the responses so far. All the China haters must still be in bed or were killed off by the virus !!!

Auto Transport Service
Back