• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger Superbee Tribute/Restomod Build

Happy days, I received my cluster today!!!! Unfortunately it is going to be quite some time before I can install and use it but at least I have it... At some point I need to sell off the stuff I am not going to use like the stock rally cluster.

IMG_7255.jpg

Happy days, I received my cluster today!!!! Unfortunately it is going to be quite some time before I can install and use it but at least I have it... At some point I need to sell off the stuff I am not going to use like the stock rally cluster.

View attachment 1467122
Got number 4 according to Shannon at redline gauges. Be here Tuesday. I’m ready to pull the stock cluster and have working gauges.

I have no idea what "number" the one I have might be, I didn't see any number on it not that it matters. It does look good though.

I have no idea what "number" the one I have might be, I didn't see any number on it not that it matters. It does look good though.
I was joking around about the number 4. Was told there was only 4 available and I got the last one until more are made 5 to 6 months from now.

I was joking around about the number 4. Was told there was only 4 available and I got the last one until more are made 5 to 6 months from now.
Gotcha.

Dakota did tell me that they were "going fast" but didn't give me any idea of how many they had made or when they might make more.

Gotcha.

Dakota did tell me that they were "going fast" but didn't give me any idea of how many they had made or when they might make more.
This fellow seems concerned about how it mounts compared to the original cluster and the parking brake indicator not being hooded. Not sure what he is talking about.
I’m just super excited to have a working dash. Several speedometer cables. New stuff is junk. They were always very noisy. Clock never worked since I have the car. And can get rid of the autozone mechanical oil pressure gauge.

IMG_4895.png

This fellow seems concerned about how it mounts compared to the original cluster and the parking brake indicator not being hooded. Not sure what he is talking about.
I’m just super excited to have a working dash. Several speedometer cables. New stuff is junk. They were always very noisy. Clock never worked since I have the car. And can get rid of the autozone mechanical oil pressure gauge.

View attachment 1467474
It would seem that he is mounting the cluster into a standard dash frame but I am not sure, I have not tried to mock this cluster up yet but will in the not too distant future.

I hear you about having a working cluster, I hate things that don't work and as in the case of my 70 Challenger RT I disconnected the amp gauge but don't really care for a dead gauge being in there. I do have autometer electronic gauges in the car as well in a custom floor mount pod I made (resembles the factory cassette mount). I will be running a fuel pressure and AFR gauge in this car and I might mount the Holley handheld display as well, you cannot have too much information.

I am FINALLY getting back to work on my Charger. A few weeks ago I went on an Alaska cruise with my wife which was ok and then when I returned I had to finish work on a friends 00 Excursion.... Had to install a 2" lift kit, rebuild the front suspension, build the front bumper (was a kit, I just had to weld it) and build the rear deck along with rewiring it.

The rear deck is to carry a motorcycle.
IMG_7544.JPG
IMG_7545.JPG
IMG_7546.JPG

Now I am onto mocking up the engine and trans. I need to modify my K frame stand a little and bolt it down.

IMG_7590.jpg
IMG_7592.jpg
IMG_7593.jpg
IMG_7594.jpg

I am making some progress on the car, spent some time getting the engine and trans mated so I can mock them up. Its good to see the car off the rotisserie but I am not sure if I will keep it off or not.

IMG_7616.jpg
IMG_7617.jpg
IMG_7618.jpg

I just got a full set of 71 Charger lower door panels from Dante's, they are Dashtop and I have to say that I am not at all impressed. The plastic is shiny and looks brittle, additionally the arm rests are molded into the rear panels with no provision for the ash tray (not that I use that anyway).

I checked with Classic and all they carry is Dashtop as well, so it seems like it is that or nothing.

So I took a closer look at the panels and they are not nearly as bad as I first thought, I will be using the fronts for sure but just bought some supposed "good" used ones for the rear.

Making some progress, mocked up the headers and discovered that there was a tight spot on the bell housing which was easily dealt with. The drivers side is pretty close to the Borgeson box adjustment screw but not touching, I might grind that down a little. Hopefully I will be able to get it into the car for the first time maybe today.

IMG_7626.jpg
IMG_7628.jpg
IMG_7629.jpg
IMG_7630.jpg
IMG_7631.jpg

So I finally got the engine and trans in for mock up, I am pretty happy with the results overall however there are a few areas I need to deal with such as the K frame bolts. One of the bolts will not line up and I am not sure why. I do not know if this K frame is from this car or not but from I am seeing I would guess it isn't. It isn't a big deal really but something I have to deal with.

I cannot believe how much room is in the engine bay yet the engine looks very large in there. The TKX fits very well and very tight, I will be doing some minor clearancing on the shifter bracket. Headers fit exceptionally well except that I will not be able to get to one of the trans inspection cover bolts because the header blocks it.

IMG_7653.jpg
IMG_7654.jpg

I pulled the engine and trans so that I could work on getting a steering column sorted out, I have a few to chose from and deal with. 3 of these are from a G3 Charger to include a tilt and the tan one is from a C body (also a tilt). The objective is to make a floor shift tilt column for the car. I whipped up a stand so I can work on them all as well.
IMG_7680.jpg
IMG_7681.jpg
IMG_7686.jpg

Looking good! I’ve been doing tunnel mods for the T56 and wondering why I didn’t go TKX…
CCB3B4C8-0AFA-402F-AE3C-BA75F5730201.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back