• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger Superbee Tribute/Restomod Build

On mine, once I had the mounting figured out with the angle of the dangle etc, I welded the bar mount brackets to the diff.
I did the same to the ADDCO on my Volare.
03EF25C3-45BC-4622-86C6-236E1CE1F8C4.jpeg

So I have run into an obstacle where in I do not have the correct dash to firewall/cowl mounting bracket, so I am going to be sourcing one of those before I can proceed.
Ah, the dash bracket that almost killed me. Those hanging 1/4-20 studs will get you.

973DD90C-5F4A-4CE2-AE6B-369308A5A506.jpeg

82433A9F-C342-47D6-B355-E91A643B6FDC.jpeg

Better photo of the firewall braces if you still need it. Looks like they wouldn’t be too difficult to fab if you can’t find them. That’s on a ‘72.

Ive been working on my gas tank some and am strongly considering buying an Aeromotive stealth tank. I am having an issue trying to get the sending unit to seal up, I need to try and make a closed cell foam gasket or maybe some RTV.

Ive been working on my gas tank some and am strongly considering buying an Aeromotive stealth tank. I am having an issue trying to get the sending unit to seal up, I need to try and make a closed cell foam gasket or maybe some RTV.
I just got mine this week. It had been on back order since March. If you do decide to get one, you may have to wait a while if they're out of stock again. It looks like a nice unit. for some reason I was expecting it to be stainless or plated steel, but it's either painted or powder coated.

I modified a SS tank for my car which in theory should work out, I am going to do some more work and see if I cannot get it sorted before I drop another $700+

I just spent over $500 on a new windshield from AMD so I got that going for me... LOL Actually its not the money, at this stage I am pretty deep into the car and don't really care, but its more of unnecessary spending. I am beginning to spend money on stuff rather than work through a problem which I usually hate but here I am doing it...

I can relate on the unnecessary spending. I'm going to use the universal 22 gal early Stang unit from Tanks inc. I borrowed a standard Stang tank from my old boss to use for mockup and see if my theory was correct. Since I moved the springs inboard, the oe unit would collide with the springs. The Stang one is narrower. I planned on cutting up the trunk floor anyway so its no big deal to configure it for the new.

I can relate on the unnecessary spending. I'm going to use the universal 22 gal early Stang unit from Tanks inc. I borrowed a standard Stang tank from my old boss to use for mockup and see if my theory was correct. Since I moved the springs inboard, the oe unit would collide with the springs. The Stang one is narrower. I planned on cutting up the trunk floor anyway so its no big deal to configure it for the new.
Good thinking. In my case I bought a SS stock tank and then cut into it making a shelf for a fuel pump and sending unit, the problem I have at them moment is that I got a little warpage from welding around the sending unit which has a relatively thin rubber gasket so it doesn't want to conform and seal. The tank doesn't hold pressure so I am not worried about that part but I don't want it to leak either.

If they offered that unit in SS, it would be my slam dunk choice. Nitrile steel is ok since thats oe. Aluminum is out of the question.

So I revisited the tank again today, I made a new seal for the sending unit out of some neoprene rubber gasket material which seemed to work well, however I then found some small pin hole leaks around the shelf that I put in. I tried welding them for while and found I was just chasing my tail, so I went to plan B... JB Weld... doesn't look "show car'ish" but this isn't a show car so I am good... LOL

IMG_7997.jpg
IMG_7998.jpg
IMG_7999.jpg

Hey whatever works. I know a lot of my work wouldn't get the nod of approval from the community, but it's my car and I only have to make me happy. So don't worry about it.

I finally got the correct column support and was able to fit the column so that I can cut it and install the Borgeson U joint. Couldn't help but mock up the steering wheel.
IMG_8030.jpg
IMG_8031 (1).jpg
IMG_8033.jpg
IMG_8032.jpg

I got the column mount from a buddy who restores Mopars and who has a crap ton of parts. While there I was looking for door and quarter window parts which I did find some but I know I am missing some as well. Once I get to that part I will narrow it down I am sure.

I was able to start getting my rear brakes installed, this was a bit of a dick drag in that I wanted to replace the wheel studs, well one of the holes was stripped so I had to tack in the stud. I installed the Green bearings which wasn't all that hard but it did take some work.

IMG_8088.jpg
IMG_8089.jpg
IMG_8085.jpg

Doing the plumbing with the engine/trans out takes all the fun out of it.:lol:

Very true which is exactly why I am doing it. I won't do the wiring but the plumbing definitely.

You're one step ahead of me. I realized as I dropped my engine today that I'd better do my brake lines before I put it back. I ended using the Wilwood mounting bracket for the proportioning valve though so I could use their pre-bent lines to the master.

Auto Transport Service
Back