• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 loss of reverse

c3ntral_scrutiniz3r

Local time
11:55 PM
Reaction score
Lost reverse in the 727 today, backing out of the driveway. I'll be honest, it wasn't so much backing out, as it was burning the rubber off of the tires in an effort to impress the wife, in the Durango next to me. But to the point: after a high rpm roast of tires in reverse, i noticed that it was taking a lot of throttle to move the car. Thought nothing of it and proceeded to the 610 cruise in (Stafford VA) and enjoyed the show. Noted NO reverse upon leaving the show and am now wondering about the wisdom of trying to impress the girl you already got...

Heres the question:
Did I hurt the trans (which is new, Cope Racing Trans 727 prostreet reverse manual shift) by doing the burn out in reverse? 1st/2nd/3rd park and neutral are all fully operational.

Ive replaced the turn signal fluid, greased the volume knob, and changed the air in both tires on the rear axle. Plus, I wiped off the debris accumulating on the wiper blades. Whats next?

I'm not a doctor....although I play one on TV....but I'd have to say you're screwed

when my reverse went the rest soon followed. the reverse band is also 1st or 3rd . may need a band adjustment.

I'm digging deep here but I agree you may just need to adjust the low/reverse band. When you start off in D first gear is accomplished by the overrunning clutch so you shouldn't notice anything wrong, however if you put it in manual low then the band is applied to provide extra holding power. I think I have that correct, but I do know D break away and manual low is not the same function. The application of the large band (kick down) is second gear and third I'm pretty sure is the release of the kick down band and the application of the front clutch. Again, I don't have the manual in front of me and may have mixed things up a bit. I'm sure someone who is fresh on TF's will chime in if I got something wrong (been 25 yrs for me so I may be a bit stale).

Additionally, it is said to NEVER do a burn out in low gear in a TF. Start in low then shift to second while the tires are still spinning.

So I have to know......Was she impressed anyway??

she may have been impressed till someone parked in front of them and they had to push the car backwards lol. i can laugh now cause i,ve been there.

My reversed stopped working. The reverse band was broken and had to be changed. My buddy's reverse also stopped working. After a while he also lost 3rd and also had to change the band. :edgy:

Auto Transport Service
Back