• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Tranny questions

Cyty Slykers

Local time
12:04 PM
Reaction score
i have a 68 Charger with a 383 mild build, fairly new transmission, rebuilt sure grip rearend with 3.23 gears, and a b & m 2,000 torque converter. The tranny shifts from 1-2 fast and after the 2nd shift the car sounds as if it needs to kick down into the drive/cruise gear but it doesn't. I'm not sure if it's just me having to get use to my new upgrades to the drive train or if I need to adjust either the passing gear linkage or the tranny bands .

Check to see if shift linkage is set up properly. Car on the ground or drive on lift, put shifter in 1st. Disconect and make sure it is in gear properly.

If 1-2 shift is too quick, chances are your kick down linkage needs to be reset as well.At full throttle you should be able to fit a 1/8" drill bit between the throttle stud and the back of the slot in the linkage with the linkage pulled back all the way,no more than that.

I had to change the throttle cable (lokar) due to going to a 4 barrel from a 2 barrel but failed to change the kick down cable...I'm guessing that could be my issue huh?

Sure sounds like the kickdown is in need of adjustment, that system supplies line pressure to the trans according to throttle demand and acts against governor to control shift points as well. Accurate adjustment is critical to trans performance.

Sure sounds like the kickdown is in need of adjustment, that system supplies line pressure to the trans according to throttle demand and acts against governor to control shift points as well. Accurate adjustment is critical to trans performance.

I should've purchased the kick down/throttle cable kit but instead I went with just the lokAr throttle cable. Guess I'll be going back to summit lol...thanks for the help fellas

Auto Transport Service
Back