• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 trans question

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
7:20 AM
Reaction score
Starting to collect parts to swap my 360 for a 383 or 440 in my ‘70 b body Belvedere. I have a chance to get a working 727 B.B. trans from 68-69 #J2801540. Will that trans bolt to any 60s or 70s big block?

Big Block 727 will bolt to any 60-70s mopar big block. You will have to be careful of the torque converter though. Some of the newer big blocks were externally balanced and would need the weighted converter.

Yep, will fit. Are you going to at least pull the pan to inspect? If it has been sitting for a while I would be worried about dried out and hard internal seals.

BB 727's bolt up to any 383/440 block. But the internal 727 parts vary quite a bit. The HD & Hemi versions had 4 pinion planetaries front & rear. Some folks don't think that's needed. I figure Chrysler engineers knew what they were doing. I've always used 4 pinion front & rear. For my drag race I also converted the front drum to 5 disc. For a normal medium performance big block 4 disc with a red band & 3.8 front band lever will work good. Aftermarket valve body ( Turbo Action or Cope) is also a good plan. Just my humble opinion.

Even a cable shift will bolt up
but smaller input shaft requires smaller pump and converter
If you do have an early core best to convert front pump/shaft so you can use easier to find converter
also there are cast- six pack both externally balanced and each different requiring different weights on the converter or better one of the add on between the crank and converter conversion weights
check weights on converters
some are just for balance- some are for non neutral balanced cranks- diagrams and sizes of the non neutral weights are available to help
only work with a converter shop that has a dynamic spin balancer- which requires a tool to hold the stator in place when the converter is spun up to balance
sorry for the typos

Auto Transport Service
Back