• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 charger starting dismantle stage

mach123

Local time
8:56 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone I am starting start stripping the interior and will post pics as soon as I can get them downsized. It is a non matching # on the 318 , so I am building stroker with a 400 block and a 727 auto or a 4 speed, I have got a good deal on it as the fellow I bought from had spent lots on tirsand still have nipples on them, then I relised it has the 8 3/8 rear will know tomorrow what gears, but want to get a posi and this one is in a 489 hosing. I have been filling my library before garage and will enjoy the restoation and will look forward in dealing with many great people on this forum. The one question I do have to start with and it is. Is it worth going from a columm shift to a floor shift and I would really want an od on this car and what is the best gearing if I want to be a wild street machine but want OD, thx

Last edited:
I love my floor shifter, but on the gearing I have no idea. Are you using the car to drag race or for the street/cruiser? That will make a difference on the gearing

Column or floor is a personal choice. Which do you like better. You said it's a non numbers matching car right? You have all the parts for the column shift already on the car. converting to a floor shift can be a lot of work but it ups the coolness factor by a thousand. In the end it's your car, do with it what you want. I've always had a soft spot for the 73 and 74 Chargers.

Well I like the floor shifter better, and was under the car today in the rain and found out that the rear is a 489 and then I jack up one wheel and spun it 2 rotation and cam up with 2.75 or 3.75, lol forgot what it was because was in a rush to go to son's ball game. I will have to do it again frigggg, what would you think it would be, and is a 8 3/4 also. Glad to here that, now I want to make it a SG, but will wait later for that. Now I need to start getting smaller pics to start and post, thx and love the forum.........

- - - Updated - - -

Hi guys, this is a 72 charger not a 73 made a mistake, does anyone know how to change the tittle, thx

Ok, so I re-check for gearing and come up with 2 3/4 so 2.76 I believe. So would that be pretty high, should I try and find a 3.55 or 3.91 in a SG for a 489 case,thx

IMO, I would think the 3.55's would be the way to go if you want OD. You can get good off the line if you want to "play" and decent mileage for a cruise. I myself have always liked a floor shift (but that's just me).

Yes I will be going to floor shifter,when I am ready, but will not change what I need to do at this point. I will be building a 500 ci stroker and will be going to a sg rear so if I decide to go with a 4 speed it will be a 3.55 or 3.91 and if I go with a 3 speed it will be a 3.23 or 3.55 rear. Since yearone has a 30% off this week end I ordered a bunch of things I need later, I do have a couple pics I will post tomorrow and will need help on what is the best way to deal with the issues.

Whenever you get to those issue's, let us know." All for one and one for all "

Here is the rust section I need to fix and don't know if or what needs to be done, hope pics work resize 5.jpgresize 8.jpgcharger resize 4.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Pick this up a yr ago and now starting to make my list and start taking things apart, thx for any help that you may be able to give me on this....

- - - Updated - - -

More picsresize 4.jpgresize 6.jpg

Looks like a fairly decent start other than the lower back. Since you are stroking the 400 I would go with a 511-512ci.

Freak

Ya I would really like the 511/512 but people say I would not be able to street drive it, hmmm

So what do you know between the 511 and 512 any pros and cons on each, this will be a 80% street racer and maybe couple runs a yr at track.Thx

Why would you think it could not be street driven? It just depends on the cam and compression. You can run 12 to 1 on the street with pump gas with the right cranking pressure. There are lots of guys that run 604-605ci Hemis on the street with pump gas. I have a 493 at 11 to 1 set for street/strip use and I am currently having a 588" roots blown Hemi being built for street/strip duty. Anyone that has told you that you can not run a 511-512 on pump gas is an idiot and has no knowledge, talk to any engine builder and they will tell you the same. The 511-512 is a very reliable comb for both street/strip and race only applications and there are no cons against it. The rotating assemblies are also the same cost on most stroker kits. Just remember to have the block thoroughly checked, magged and sonic.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my 493
z7cp.jpg

The engine tech are the other guys expertise. At the very least you're going to have to replace the lower 1/4's with new metal and probably the trunk drop downs inside. I see there has been some repairs made to the wheel well. Once you start sanding all that off, you may find yourself needing new quarters. Check some of the restoration catalogs, I think they make new 1/4's for the 72. Is the other side like that also?

The engine tech are the other guys expertise. At the very least you're going to have to replace the lower 1/4's with new metal and probably the trunk drop downs inside. I see there has been some repairs made to the wheel well. Once you start sanding all that off, you may find yourself needing new quarters. Check some of the restoration catalogs, I think they make new 1/4's for the 72. Is the other side like that also?

X2

Thx so that is what im gonna do, cant wait. So what is diff between 511 and 512 would it be just diff supplier or engine builder,

Thx drivers side not as bad but if I did one side I would do others if needed and yes I would do it. Yes you can buy lowers quater , thx

Well I stripped the whole inside of car and trunk today except the dash yet, so looks like drivers side can be fixed up but need pass side lower quarter, rocker panel and inner wheel well all on pass side. I have 2 spots inside car that needs couple patches about 4" x 4" then couple small dents fixed, my buddy has a portable blasting machine I can use, but what media material should I use on the car, and then what is the best spray primer should I use after, just till it gets to the paint shop, I will post some pics tomorrow, Thx

Thx, so now that I have stripped the inside out, I am going to start sanding and blasting interior and seal it up, what company have people used with good outcome with seat covers, thx

Auto Transport Service
Back