• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Roadrunner 340 Auto

I was able to find all the spacers and screws so the grille is now in! Head light bezels are on, and the only thing left to do is adjust the gaps a touch and clean it all up. Next up, wheel arch trim! Would someone please show the "fat lady" to her dressing room.

IMG_5310.jpg
IMG_5309.jpg

Change of plans. Wheel arch trim will have to wait. Actually I'm a little worried about the amount of time they will take (with polishing and painting the black insert) so I am pushing them back until I have no choice but to tackle them. Instead, the air cleaner will get it's turn. Got all the dents/dings out of the lid.

IMG_5312.jpg
IMG_5271.jpg

Starting on the base next.

IMG_5315.jpg
IMG_5314.jpg
IMG_5313.jpg
IMG_5316.jpg

My plan for the grille highlights was pretty simple. Use a small hard roller (wallpaper seam roller) to transfer the paint evenly. This way I would not have to mask off the entire grille. The only area I would have to tape was the section where two of the sections were really close, and then I only had to mask to prevent rubbing the other surface. Worked pretty well and saved a lot of time.
Close up photos really show the dust :(

View attachment 1205911 View attachment 1205912 View attachment 1205913 View attachment 1205914 View attachment 1205915 View attachment 1205916

I only had to do a few inches with a small brush. It is not perfect, but the grille was not perfect from the factory.

I sprayed the metal trim piece and that turned out great, but the pics might not show it so well. I will put it all together tomorrow unless work calls. Just hope I can find all the screws and spacers.

View attachment 1205918 View attachment 1205919
Nice!!

What paint did you use?

I was thinking of doing something like that but with a dry brush technique.

The grill looks great - I like the technique of using a hard roller - great idea! (I may have to steal that idea for mine) :thumbsup:

Just finished up the air cleaner. They could have built a car in the time it took me to put the sticker on!!!
But, it is done. On to the next item.

IMG_5333.jpg
IMG_5344.jpg
IMG_5366.jpg
IMG_5368.jpg
IMG_5369.jpg

I decided to have a quick go at the wheel arch trim to see just how much time this was going to take, if it even works. So I spent just a few minutes and got the following results.

AS THEY CURRENTLY SIT

IMG_5378.jpg

AFTER ROUGH WHEEL AND BLACK--FIRST PASS

IMG_5380.jpg

AFTER SECOND PASS WITH BLACK

IMG_5384.jpg

AFTER A COUPLE OF PASSES WITH GREEN ON FINISHING WHEEL

IMG_5393.jpg

I think this will work just fine! Figure about 3 hours for each piece, which is less than I expected. I will have to look up what to seal them with to keep from oxidizing. Anodizing, if not too expensive, could be an option.

Polish trim, polish trim, and polish trim some more. You have to watch that buffing wheel or it will bite you and whatever it is your working on. Here is what I used and how it turned out.

IMG_5438.jpg
IMG_5437.jpg
IMG_5431.jpg

This is how they started out

IMG_5428.jpg

After the abrasive disc

IMG_5429.jpg
IMG_5430.jpg

After the polish disc

IMG_5432.jpg
IMG_5433.jpg

After the buffing wheel. Ready for the black inlay.

IMG_5434.jpg
IMG_5435.jpg

Wow. Looks superb!

Yeah, I have had my share of getting "bit" when polishing stainless. If the wheel catches an edge - lookout!

Finally got around to painting the VIN tag. I took it out of the shop so it would not get lost. Had it so tucked away I completely forgot about it until I was looking for the little RR decal for the trunk. Figured I better get it back on the car before I actually lose it.

IMG_5458.jpg

So the wife and I put the wheel arch trim on and the trim rings. Had a bunch of rings so we picked the best 4. Took both of us to get them on. Little bit of a PITA.

IMG_5447.jpg
IMG_5444.jpg
IMG_5445.jpg
IMG_5446.jpg
IMG_5448.jpg
IMG_5449.jpg

NOTE: The trim rings are correct for this year car. Only the outside 3/4" lip (flat) is high polish, the inner (slope) is not high polish. Don't ask my why, it just because Ma Mopar said so.

Just finishing up some of the last few details. Correct wing nut and adding the trunk lid decal/emblems. The Fat Lady is dressed and headed for the stage. Just hope she doesn't trip on the stairs.

IMG_5470.jpg
IMG_5469.jpg

IIRC...but this was back in '83....my '73 had a circle around the standing bird on the truck lid.

Auto Transport Service
Back