• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Roadrunner 340 Auto

Mine did not have the circle.

RR1.jpg

IIRC...but this was back in '83....my '73 had a circle around the standing bird on the truck lid.

The 1973 parts book I have shows the circle bird on the front and the standing bird on the deck lid.

IMG_5472.jpg
IMG_5473.jpg
IMG_5474.jpg

From several survivor cars, the front has the circle, the trunk only has the standing bird. But, I have seen some restored cars that do have the circle bird on the trunk. All the ones I have seen like this only have that decal and no "roadrunner" badge below. I don't know if that was optional, factory thing, accident repair, or just an owner's choice.

IMG_5471.jpg
021-1973-plymouth-roadrunner.jpg
1973-plymouth-road-runner-survivor-40k-miles-400-4-speed-factory-paperwork-4.jpg

Sill plates are installed. I have a battery brace to fabricate (or steal from the other 73) and the punch list is done. I will then trailer it to the engine shop for detailing as their shop is much cleaner than mine.
So close, so close!!! The "Fat Lady" is on stage standing behind the curtain, waiting to be introduced. :)

IMG_5476.jpg
IMG_5477.jpg

Did a little checking with the parts book and it does not show a support bracket from the battery tie down to the fender, like on this 1973 Roadrunner. Sure looks factory to me. Both cars were made in Canada so I am not sure if it was added later in the production run, was only used if you got a bigger battery, or was only on 4-speed vehicles. IDK

100_8009.JPG

My car currently looks like this:

IMG_5479.jpg

In the absence of any direction either way, since it was not there when I took this car apart, I am going to leave it off.

That was it, or so I thought. Forgot about the final transfer decal for the dash VIN tag. No problem, followed the directions that came with the transfer, should have went on without a problem. SHOULD HAVE, being the main component to that statement. $%#&*%%@^#**. It did not go as planned. The "corporation" part of the transfer did not take and I/we could not get it to the exact place it needed to go. Calling it (just ordered another one) before frustration turns to white hot anger. To recap: The "Fat Lady" was on the stage, behind the curtain, waiting to be introduced when she realized her microphone does not work. There will be a slight delay in her appearance. :(

The 1973 parts book I have shows the circle bird on the front and the standing bird on the deck lid.
I agree with this. My car (that I have had since 1979) was this way.

Did a little checking with the parts book and it does not show a support bracket from the battery tie down to the fender, like on this 1973 Roadrunner. Sure looks factory to me. Both cars were made in Canada so I am not sure if it was added later in the production run, was only used if you got a bigger battery, or was only on 4-speed vehicles. IDK
In the absence of any direction either way, since it was not there when I took this car apart, I am going to leave it off.

That was it, or so I thought. Forgot about the final transfer decal for the dash VIN tag. No problem, followed the directions that came with the transfer, should have went on without a problem. SHOULD HAVE, being the main component to that statement. $%#&*%%@^#**. It did not go as planned. The "corporation" part of the transfer did not take and I/we could not get it to the exact place it needed to go. Calling it (just ordered another one) before frustration turns to white hot anger. To recap: The "Fat Lady" was on the stage, behind the curtain, waiting to be introduced when she realized her microphone does not work. There will be a slight delay in her appearance. :(

For the battery tie down: While I am not 100% sure, I believe my car still has the original battery tie down - there is no reason for it to have been replaced. Mine looks like yours without a support bracket.

As far as the fat lady singing: I have no doubt the decal issue is frustrating as hell. Good luck replacing it and hopefully that goes well. But you may expect a couple of other surprises to get the car truly sorted. Get some miles on it (when weather/ conditions permit) and work through the minor bugs that may very well pop up. Either way, it doesn't diminish the fact that you have an AWESOME example of a 73 Road Runner.

Well Done!

Thanks Hawk.
I threw this bracket together just to see what it would look like.
Not sure about leaving it. I know the other one was painted but this coating matches the battery tie down. Last decision, you think I could just make it and be done. Thoughts?

Still waiting for the mail gal to bring the last transfer decal :(

While waiting, I did manage to touch up a few bolts that were chipped from installation, so I guess that is a plus.

IMG_5493.jpg
IMG_5479.jpg

Thanks Hawk.
Not sure about leaving it. I know the other one was painted but this coating matches the battery tie down. Last decision, you think I could just make it and be done. Thoughts?

While waiting, I did manage to touch up a few bolts that were chipped from installation, so I guess that is a plus.

View attachment 1219906 View attachment 1219907
So maybe the bracket was used on 440/GTX versions of the Road Runner? I can't tell you as I am not familiar with the use of this bracket.

I think the bracket looks decent the way you have it, and certainly it will add some stability to the battery (regardless of if it is really needed or not). I'd say leave the bracket on. Assuming you are still planning to sell the car in the future, the new owner can decide to take it off if they really feel it shouldn't be there. If the reverse is true, they won't have the bracket or the bolt to add it back.

Here is a picture of my 74 400 RR that shows that bracket on the battery hold down.

GxDmxtn.jpg

It is numbers matching and is in really good shape with just a couple of small rust holes on each lower front fender. Not hard to fix just takes some time that I thought I would have more of. Spring of 2020 is the goal. Rebuild the engine, trans, rear end, interior, along with all new rubber and paint. Then on to the next one! This is how I relax. :)

That was from me on 12-26-2019. Spring of 2020 LOL. Lets see, it took until 01-13-2022 to get this car done. Yup, I said DONE, the car is done (at least as far as me working on it). The transfer decal came in the mail today and the wife and I put it on this evening. Man, that girl has put up with a lot!! So, I was only a couple of years off on my estimated completion date. Just some final photos for the AD pages which should happen on Sunday as the weather is supposed to be clear then. Once the pics are done and sorted it will be listed. Bad time of year to sell but I don't have much of a choice as we will be selling this house shortly and traveling the USA for a year or so, before buying/building another home. This time with a large pole barn. So to recap here is the car before and after:

IMG_1553.jpg
IMG_5557.jpg

100_7772.JPG
IMG_5516.jpg

And YES, that is a deer in the background.

I should have the "for sale" posting up by early next week.

P.S. Thanks for all the help with my questions, I could not have come this far without FBBO support! IMG_1553.jpg

The car has been posted in the FOR SALE section. Thanks again to all my FBBO friends, we will see you at Carlisle 2022.

You did a great job on the car, looking forward to the red one being done!

Must have done okay on the car! A gentleman who paints (show cars) for a living bought it.
Thanks again everyone for your help in answering my endless questions.
I could not think of a better group of car junkies to hang out with.:thumbsup:

Congratulations, one step closer to the Superbird!
Watching you doing the metal work & paint was astonishing! You truly are a craftsman. There are many on this forum who can also do that type of work, but you rank up in the top echelon. Having sold that car (and quickly)to someone who paints show cars is verification my friend.
Good luck on the next one!

Thanks Hawk.

View attachment 1219906 View attachment 1219907
i have that bracket on my 72 Charger SE 400 4v. Used to prevent shift of the j-hooks.

Auto Transport Service
Back