• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 Charger Rallye 440 TX9

I had to address the burnt connector going to the ignition switch, tested the switch and its good. I cut the connectors off ans used Powerwerks powerpole connectors, https://powerwerx.com/anderson-power-powerpole-sb-connectors. These can handle the current as well as allow me to disconnect the column if needed. I also changed out the broken connector on the turn signal harness with a spare I had. Now I can install the harness onto the dash that's been so patiently waiting.

IMG_3272.JPG
IMG_3273.JPG
IMG_3274.JPG

Got it moved and on the lift today. Now to rip everything underneath out!

IMG_3295.JPG
IMG_3296.JPG
IMG_3297.JPG

Man what a leaker it was. The entire underside is preserved with a thick coat of greasy dirt. No rust anywhere, even the trunk drop downs are mint.

IMG_3298.JPG
IMG_3299.JPG
IMG_3300.JPG
IMG_3302.JPG
IMG_3303.JPG

Got the k-frame back from the powercoaters and it came out great! Made a dolly to fit the 73 up k-frames so I can install from underneath. Today I dropped the old k-frame and rear end. Now I can get all the little stuff off and scrub off the gunk.

When removing the front brakes I had to pry the right rotor off the spindle. It was smoked. Had a new bearing on it though so they must have slapped it back together and ran it. Kinda like the k-frame. Don't have the right oil pan? Torch it!

A quick search of the classifieds here and a new spindle was found.

IMG_3330.JPG
IMG_3332.JPG
IMG_3333.JPG
IMG_3335.JPG
IMG_3337.JPG

Really enjoying this thread, learning some cool ideas & tips! Thanks for documenting so well.

Rob

I started scraping away at the underside, was kinda tough after the Carlisle hangover and a tough work week. She is pretty much stripped underneath, only the tank, fuel and brake lines left to pull. Time to scrap, clean, and paint lots of parts.
Fresh parts from Summit was waiting for me when I arrived home from Carlisle.

IMG_3351.JPG
IMG_3353.JPG

IMG_3354.JPG

Got the fuel tank, brake and fuel lines out. Tank and sender are toast. Going to be hard to find an original sender. Lines are in good shape just covered in grime. I will replace the engine compartment brake lines but reuse the original front to back lines.

IMG_3359.JPG
IMG_3360.JPG

Got tired of scraping grime so I soaked the entire underside with straight Simple Green, tossed on my dolleys, and pressure washed the whole thing. Plus the brake and fuel lines, and sway bars.

I think I will keep the factory undercoating on it and just touch it up where needed. I will be a driver tha will be a b$%ch to keep clean.

IMG_3365.JPG
IMG_3366.JPG

Got tired of scraping grime so I soaked the entire underside with straight Simple Green, tossed on my dolleys, and pressure washed the whole thing. Plus the brake and fuel lines, and sway bars.

I think I will keep the factory undercoating on it and just touch it up where needed. I will be a driver tha will be a b$%ch to keep clean.

View attachment 1508723View attachment 1508724
You kill that pretty grass, Mamas going to be pissed. :poke:

After the pressure washing I cleaned my blast cabinet and got started on glass beading and priming small parts.

IMG_3367.JPG

Finally got back at it. I just could not live with that oily undercoating so I bought a good heat gun and started scraping. What a crap job so you can guess why I have put it off so long. Got back to the end of the trans tunnel today. A scotch brite and some lacquer thinner should finish it nicely.

IMG_3472.JPG

Made it back to the snubber mount today. That's about enough of that for the day. Pans are sweet though under all that.

Mila says hi!

IMG_3479.JPG
IMG_3476.JPG

Fuel tank arrived today too.

IMG_3477.JPG

Still plugging away at it. I am done with the undercoating and started on the engine compartment and trunk to get them ready for paint. Engine compartment was half *** painted and the fender bolts were all unpainted and mixed and matched. I installed the correct bolts and prepped it for a fresh coat of paint then started on the trunk. Coming along good and hopefully I can get some Rust Bullet down and epoxy over it next weekend if its warm enough. It was fricking 18 degrees here this morning. Fortunately we only get a couple days like this a year.

IMG_3526.JPG
IMG_3547.JPG

Got the Rust Bullet down on the areas with heavy surface rust. New seam sealant and a light coat of primer to bite into it since the re-coat window is 48 hours and it will be a while longer before I am ready to paint.

IMG_3562.JPG
IMG_3563.JPG

Still plugging away at it. I am done with the undercoating and started on the engine compartment and trunk to get them ready for paint. Engine compartment was half *** painted and the fender bolts were all unpainted and mixed and matched. I installed the correct bolts and prepped it for a fresh coat of paint then started on the trunk. Coming along good and hopefully I can get some Rust Bullet down and epoxy over it next weekend if its warm enough. It was fricking 18 degrees here this morning. Fortunately we only get a couple days like this a year.

View attachment 1595943View attachment 1595944
I hope I get that lucky with the inside of my trunk floor.

Auto Transport Service
Back