• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

80 Grit!

Update...

Latest on the Runner. She's in final primer now with a sanding in 180 grit (Do I have to change the name of the thread now?). The lines on the car look great now- especially the area around the side scoops. Also the underside of the hood and deck lid are painted - As much as anything we were checking the color, and those parts are off the car anyway. Next is one more guide coat and a final block and sand with 400 grit. THEN PAINT!

Sorry for the shadows in the photos. Oh, and the 1970 engines weren't blurry, just the photos of them...

I was gonna put in a new windshield for about $250.00 from Year One. That seemed like a fair price until I noticed they wanted another $299.00 for shipping. I can't stand a place that tries to rip you off when you're not looking. I can get a refrigerator delivered to my door for free and they want to charge $299.00 to ship a windshield in a crate?

IMG_0772.jpgIMG_0773.jpgIMG_0792.jpgIMG_0796.jpg

welcome to the world of year one!!!! greedy bastards!!!

Runner looks great!! i like that the thread name is still 80 grit!! lol you've come a long way!!!

I have to laugh at your statement iraqivet01 : I will say I will never rebuild another MOPAR simple because of the price and limited availability of replacement parts. Not saying I won't own another one, just won't ever go to this extent again on one.

BECAUSE I TOTALLY AGREE ( 35k into mine ). Some people just do not know HOW EXPENSIVE to do these mopars up right till it is to late. YOUR WORDS ARE ONE OF WISDOM. I feel it is my duty to inform builders to PRICE THINGS OUT BEFORE DIVING IN. I WISH I DID. Thanks

Antsy Update AGAIN...

I'm getting antsy and I may be wasting your time with another update. But: LOOK AT THAT ORANGE! (I like to take all my photos under a blue tarp - half in the shade and half in the sun. It makes it kind of a challenge for the viewer. You should see my wedding photos...)

But LOOK AT THAT ORANGE!

IMG_0802.jpgIMG_0800.jpgIMG_0799.jpgIMG_0798.jpgIMG_0801.jpg

These pics are of areas that are already painted AND clear coated, so that's pretty much the final color - albeit before color sand, buff, wax, etc...

How long of a process is blasting a 1970 RR..Thanks Rick

Its about that price, for all the car, including doors, hood, deck lid, etc. blast the entire car, inside, outside and underneath. That's actually too cheap, I should charge close to 3 grand for the job I do. Best money you'll ever spend, or anyone will ever spend. Get it far cleaner than any other process sans dipping. But, I get it it; budgets etc. So, have fun and enjoy what you're doing!

- - - Updated - - -

1970 is my Favorite year for Roadrunner's & GTX cars...It is not easy to restore a Mopar and yours looks like it is coming along great...Keep posting your progress..Thanks Rick 70 RR

Just an FYI, I don't want you all to think I get 3K for a complete car, I'd LOVE to, but, for this car complete is right about 2K, likely around 1.9K

I figure my 70 Coronet is worth about 20k in parts (I got alot of nice parts). I'll put about 20k into restoring it, and when I'm done it will be worth about 20k.You do the math all you want but it will never make sense, and yet I'm going to do it anyway. What the hell is wrong with us? I tore the car down 25 years ago and am just now getting around to it. Wish I would have just primered it and drove it into the ground, would have been alot of fun in my twentys. Looking forward to seeing the paint finished, looks good so far.

Have fun, Don

I love the tent, man after my own heart..LOL

I love the tent, man after my own heart..LOL

Yeah 99SS - That's actually my buddy's house where he has the tent / awning set up. We can get away with a lot of stuff here in California that would never fly in other parts of the country. I have to pay for water to keep my lawn alive, but we could paint in the driveway 300+ days a year! I'm all about the mechanical work, but my buddy is the paint-master on this project, I just stand around and gawk, help him take bumpers and other mechanical parts on and off, and bother him with questions like "How come when I try to paint something it always comes out looking like a 5-year-old did it?"

It's truly an art - fun to watch...

Check around for the windshield. around here if you tell the glass guys you are paying cash you can get almost any windshield installed glass and mld for under $300. I am sure that a classic mopar is a little more because the gasket is expensive but the guy we use at our shop is dooing mine glass and install i supply the mld for under $250 (that is a wholesale price) But you get the picture.

Painted!

The car is painted! It took 5 coats of color and 4 of clear before it looked the way my buddy (the painter) wanted it. That's 5 quarts of paint! It still has another round of blocking with 1200 grit and then a final with 2000 grit, with time to harden between each. This is supposed to get rid of the little bit of orange peel that forms in the clear. Next we'll do the black Organosol stripes on the hood and add all the decals.

The color is unbelievable. The paint looks so wet I was afraid to touch it. It's crazy how different the car looks. When I first drove up I thought he had changed the wheels! Everything looks different...

IMG_0821.jpgIMG_0822.jpgIMG_0823.jpg

Man she looks SWEET! Congrats on getting this car done in a relatively short time frame. I'm sure if you can keep it out of the weather it will hold up for quite some time. Just goes to show you don't have to tear one apart, down to a skeleton, and spend a mint, to have a nice ride. Good luck getting it all back together and keep us posted.

Auto Transport Service
Back