• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Mopar owner again after a 30+ year break, in Napa CA

fesser

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:54 PM
Reaction score
I owned Mopars when I was in high school and the military. Somehow ended up owning everything else since then without intending to. Always wished I had them back. Recently came across a guy selling a 68 Coronet. We got to talking and it turned out I had a Chevelle that he wanted so we agreed to trade. Neither one of us saw the other car in person. Had to wait a week or so for the shipping company to give us a hard date. When that date came, they cancelled on us. So, last night at about 10 pm the guy and his friend got the Dodge on a U-Haul trailer and headed north. They didn't have a fun trip. They unloaded here at about 0600, loaded the Chevelle on the trailer and headed south.
I knew the Dodge was a Joe Dirt 70's-80's special from pictures he sent. It is going to be a big project, but I am still happy to have it. Somewhere along the line some crack head stole the fender tag. If somebody can explain to me the value of a fender tag without a car, I would sure appreciate it. I think it is a real R/T based on the vin (WS23L8E149xxx). It has a 440 and a 727. The diamond tuck interior leaves me with very little hope of finding a build sheet.
I am hoping that I will find a VIN on the back of the engine and on the transmission but to be honest, I don't know exactly where to look and am not able to do much twisting or crawling around right now. Can't wait to start exploring this car to see what I really bought (traded for). Thanks for the Forum. Frank

IMG_2317.JPGIMG_2320.JPGIMG_2318.JPGIMG_2319.JPGIMG_2325.JPGIMG_2287.JPG

Good start, looks to be relatively solid

With vintage 70's diamond tuck interior, I haven't seen that in a while

good luck

Welcome to FBBO from about 200+ miles south & east,
in NorCal Sierras

Last edited:
Welcome from Illinois!! Hope you got a square deal for your Chevelle. See you've already found our Classic Mopar Tech forum. You should get answers there for most all of your questions. Best wishes with that project . . . it has lots of potential . . .

Welcome from Illinois!! Hope you got a square deal for your Chevelle. See you've already found our Classic Mopar Tech forum. You should get answers there for most all of your questions. Best wishes with that project . . . it has lots of potential . . .
Thank you. If I had to guess, the Chevelle was worth more, but I am happy with the trade. I hate selling cars.

Good start, looks to be relatively solid

With vintage 70's diamond tuck interior, I haven't seen that in a while

good luck

Welcome to FBBO from about 200 south & east,
in NorCal Sierras
Can't make up my mind which goes first, the primer or the diamond tuck. It is even on the dash.

Nice 68 RT. Welcome from NM. I thought I was seeing a picture of my car, there for a minute. Maybe you can find the original color under that primer somewhere. It looks like a real RT. Enjoy the build, and let me know how I can help. I would do the outside first, the diamond tuck will work for now.

Nice 68 RT. Welcome from NM. I thought I was seeing a picture of my car, there for a minute. Maybe you can find the original color under that primer somewhere. It looks like a real RT. Enjoy the build, and let me know how I can help. I would do the outside first, the diamond tuck will work for now.
Thanks. Everything is pointing to red. I don't know if I would like that too much.

Welcome from south of you on the central coast.
Thanks. This came from closer to you than it was to me. About 45 minutes east of Santa Margarita.

Cool car,atleast if you traded a convertible Chevelle, you got a real R/T! Welcome looking forward to seeing your progress with the build! When I was a kid there was a 68 Coronet R/T at the gas station at the corner of my street! It was a 440 4 speed car, and the guy grenaded the engine in it. I used to sit in it and row it through the gears like I was driving it! Lol The engine was so destroyed that I could see into the lifter valley through the valley pan! Pieces of cam and lifters everywhere! They put a 383 in the car from a 70 Newport!

Cool car,atleast if you traded a convertible Chevelle, you got a real R/T! Welcome looking forward to seeing your progress with the build! When I was a kid there was a 68 Coronet R/T at the gas station at the corner of my street! It was a 440 4 speed car, and the guy grenaded the engine in it. I used to sit in it and row it through the gears like I was driving it! Lol The engine was so destroyed that I could see into the lifter valley through the valley pan! Pieces of cam and lifters everywhere! They put a 383 in the car from a 70 Newport!
Thanks. Not sure there is going to be a build any time soon. Going to start on repairs first. I learned the hard way that my projects sit and get stale if I can't drive them.

Funny you mentioned that your aren't sure you like the indications it's a red car.... I've never really been a red fan either yet currently own two red cars & one is a 68 Coronet R/T... If it's gotta be red at least it's a nice deep blood red not a orange/red tomato color...
IMG_6615.jpg

Thanks. Not sure there is going to be a build any time soon. Going to start on repairs first. I learned the hard way that my projects sit and get stale if I can't drive them.
It's a cool car, make it mechanically sound then take it to the next level! I have more of them than I will ever get to, but they all light my fire! I can see every one of them done!

20220925_200214.jpg

20221025_202746.jpg

20220509_194344.jpg

Solid looking ‘68. I’d have to agree being able to drive it while you’re working on it makes the project a whole lot more appealing IMO. Greetings and welcome to FBBO from western NY!

Auto Transport Service
Back