• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A pic (meme?) for the machinists on the board.....

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
A co-worker sent this to me today......well, a retired co-worker that now builds guitars. Maybe I should have started doing something similar as I wouldn't have a shop full (a shop that's too small) of cars and big machines! LOL

Messenger_creation_ed57f9ce-356d-4245-bbda-b5561343128b.jpeg

Odd how life can evolve, used to operate mills, and one beastly mill we had from the 40’s, still painted military green…Kearney & Trecker horizontal mill used for hog-cutting. Damn, never realized how much body-abuse I took lifting up 4” cylinder stock onto the table vice at chest height from a pallet on the floor from the left, turn it around for the other hog-end-cut, then back down to a pallet on the floor on the right. NO ergonomics then. These parts were huge screw-studs for ships…a repeat order for a hundred or so about every quarter from Falk Corp.

Go figure, less than a decade later, took a job with K&T reporting to a Trecker. Weaselly guy getting a cushy job as a descendent of Trecker. Some of the worst friggin days of my life there, but learned a few things to AVOID later on..

Cincinnati
Reminds me of the Cincinnati we had at work....it was kind of a pita to operate. Old and cantankerous as could be.
Odd how life can evolve, used to operate mills, and one beastly mill we had from the 40’s, still painted military green…Kearney & Trecker horizontal mill used for hog-cutting. Damn, never realized how much body-abuse I took lifting up 4” cylinder stock onto the table vice at chest height from a pallet on the floor from the left, turn it around for the other hog-end-cut, then back down to a pallet on the floor on the right. NO ergonomics then. These parts were huge screw-studs for ships…a repeat order for a hundred or so about every quarter from Falk Corp.

Go figure, less than a decade later, took a job with K&T reporting to a Trecker. Weaselly guy getting a cushy job as a descendent of Trecker. Some of the worst friggin days of my life there, but learned a few things to AVOID later on..
We had wall cranes all over the shop but sometimes it was much quicker to just use the old back. These days picking up 35 lbs will make my hurt.....

If you don’t have those heavy parts clamped well, those old hogs will pick them up and put em back on the floor pretty quickly.

If you don’t have those heavy parts clamped well, those old hogs will pick them up and put em back on the floor pretty quickly.
Had that happen when on a Bridgeport milling an angle on hydraulic blocks; glad I wasn’t in its path of flight. Another time pipe-tapping, wicked-large tap, the tap broke sending it on both sides of me and busted through the large window 25-ft behind me. I have a few more stories of avoiding a worse fate; counting my blessings...

Had that happen when on a Bridgeport milling an angle on hydraulic blocks; glad I wasn’t in its path of flight. Another time pipe-tapping, wicked-large tap, the tap broke sending it on both sides of me and busted through the large window 25-ft behind me. I have a few more stories of avoiding a worse fate; counting my blessings...
I've had a few close calls too over the years.....and is one of the reasons that I retired at 55. Figured after 26 years at the refinery was enough (luck about to run out?) not to mention the couple of years or so at 'rat' shops before hiring on at a refinery. Had a few minor injuries and somehow dodged some major ones. A long time friend of mine continued working the rat shops vs working for the bigger conglomerates. He hated the work atmosphere of them but man, the shop he was working in at 74 years old was horrible. It looked like rats had eaten holes in the roof and walls....and hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

Two separate pendant controlled cranes, two operators, no one underneath! Had a few close calls over the years
and glad I'm still here to think about it! Also glad I was careful enough to not lose any digits. When I punched in,
I played "Devil's Advocate" and always looked for what kind of trouble that I could get myself into. Thank God!

played "Devil's Advocate" and always looked for what kind of trouble that I could get myself into. Thank God!
Having to do many job-related accident investigations, including a few where the person injured wasn’t around to talk to anymore, your last two sentences would make for an excellent safety ‘talk’.

Auto Transport Service
Back