• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

a833 removal

streetstrip_ch

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:30 AM
Reaction score
quick question, should I detach the transmission from the bellhousing first, or detach the trans and bellhousing from the block together?

I removed all the bolts but it seem that the trans doesn't want to leave the bellhousing, so I decided to ask first before forcing.
IMG_20230517_180729_865.jpg

Thanks!

IMG_20230517_180656_246.jpg

IMG_20230517_180647_855.jpg

Just pull it out, it looks like it rotated in the bell so it should come out.

If the weight of the trans is hanging down it might bind up.
I usually have to wiggle it a little.

I see you got the removal taken care of. For myself, when the drivetrain is in the car, I like to remove the four bolts and remove the trans only first as I am a one man show with no transmission jack. Installation is a lot easier when reinstalling the trans to install the clutch first, then bellhousing and shift fork, and finally the transmission.

Sometimes the throw out bearing can hang up on the input shaft and make it a little tougher to get the transmission to slide out, but just wiggle, rotate a pull and it should pop out.

Just pull it out, it looks like it rotated in the bell so it should come out.
It didn't rotate, it is probably the picture angle, it has other bolt holes on the bell housing.

I see you got the removal taken care of. For myself, when the drivetrain is in the car, I like to remove the four bolts and remove the trans only first as I am a one man show with no transmission jack. Installation is a lot easier when reinstalling the trans to install the clutch first, then bellhousing and shift fork, and finally the transmission.
I only got the bolts out, it seem seized. I'm a one man show as well, I learned a lot of "do and don't" removing the engine, I will make one of those progress logs on the
"Member's Projects & Restorations".

Sometimes the throw out bearing can hang up on the input shaft and make it a little tougher to get the transmission to slide out, but just wiggle, rotate a pull and it should pop out.
I think the trans and bell housing are really stuck together.

If the weight of the trans is hanging down it might bind up.
I usually have to wiggle it a little.

Have something under trans, grab it by tailshaft wiggle and pull a little.

I'll try it tomorrow morning again, it is midnight here in Switzerland. The trans is really stuck together with the bell housing, it provably a bit and the metal is binding together, I might try warming it up a bit.

When you get back at it, consider that the parts between the engine and trans are in contact in 4 different places on a line. (If you’re still attached to the engine, can’t tell from pics.)

So any binding on that line will be a problem.

Kroil spray and a big dead blow hammer now maybe - rap it around the barrel of the bell housing.

Does the bellhousing move if you try to spin it just a little bit, if not spray it from the inside of the bellhousing with Liquid Wrench or WD40.

Last edited:
Would've been easier if you left bellhousing on engine IMO. Could've loosed PP. Your where you are, yes WD40 deadxblow hammer or block of wood and a regular hammer .

Would've been easier if you left bellhousing on engine IMO. Could've loosed PP. Your where you are, yes WD40 deadxblow hammer or block of wood and a regular hammer .
I thought that, but was afraid to damage something, so I figure let me remove both together.

Does the bellhousing move if you try to spin it just a little bit, if not spray it from the inside of the bellhousing with Liquid Wrench or WD40.
No movement, I'm soaking it with WD40, and will give it a try.

I would be a little concerned about the pressure plate too based on the unfocused view of it in the background. Looks like it may have a bunch of hot spots on it which if so, the flywheel probably needs attention too.

Auto Transport Service
Back