• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ACME - Did you know?

Danny Boy

Secret of life is enjoying the passage of time JT
Local time
12:41 PM
Reaction score
I'd been wondering about Roadrunner cartoons and the use of the word ACME in Warner Bros Roadrunner cartoons and in names of businesses....

According to Merriam Webster.....

Did you know?
In Greek, acme meant a mountain peak, but in English we hardly ever use it in the physical sense. Instead we speak of someone's new job as the acme of her career, or of a certain leap as the acme of classical dance technique. In old Road Runner cartoons, the Acme Company is the provider of every ingenious device imaginable. But the word can't always be taken quite literally as a brand or company name; it's possible, for instance, that something called the Acme Bar & Grill may not be the absolutely highest and best example of a bar and grill. And don't confuse acme with acne, the skin disorder—even though both actually come from the same word.

Choose the Right Synonym for acme
SUMMIT, PEAK, PINNACLE, CLIMAX, APEX, ACME, CULMINATION mean the highest point attained or attainable. SUMMIT implies the topmost level attainable. at the summit of the Victorian social scene PEAK suggests the highest among other high points. an artist working at the peak of her powers PINNACLE suggests a dizzying and often insecure height. the pinnacle of worldly success CLIMAX implies the highest point in an ascending series. the war was the climax to a series of hostile actions APEX implies the point where all ascending lines converge. the apex of Dutch culture ACME implies a level of quality representing the perfection of a thing. a statue that was once deemed the acme of beauty CULMINATION suggests the outcome of a growth or development representing an attained objective. the culmination of years of effort

Decades before the Road Runner and Coyote cartoons.....

upload_2022-3-25_11-0-12.jpeg

I just went to Florida and dined at the "ACME OYSTER HOUSE",,, it wasn't toooo bad!!!

At one time ACME was the most widely-used company name in america - probably why it was used in the cartoon - nobody could sue for infringement. But since then its popularity has waned - probably due to most of the items used in the cartoon failing.

Funny and what a coincidence, just found this on FABO..

Here I have a reproduction skid plate which was made by ACME. I don't plan on using this anytime soon and it is just in the way. This is the 2.5" version and is 10.5"-12.5" wide and actually more like 2.375" tall. I would like $40 plus shipping in the US from Puyallup WA.
skid-plate-1-jpg.jpg
skid-plate-2-jpg.jpg
skid-plate-3-jpg.jpg

Back in the Day, using a Company or Business name that started with an "A" insured better yellow pages placement in the directory. Back then, the Yellow Pages was the biggest game in town for local advertisers to reach consumers. That may have been part of the appeal of using "Acme" in a business title.

If you do crossword puzzles, you will see it as an answer some what regularly.

Auto Transport Service
Back