• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aftermarket transmission cooler

tom jaffeux

Local time
2:40 AM
Reaction score
Getting ready to install a aftermarket transmission cooler like to know is it best to bypass the radiator cooler all together or tie the aftermarket cooler to the radiator cooler
Thanks Tom

Just like the factory Hemi cars, from the trans to the radiator cooler, then out to the auxiliary cooler, and then to the rear of the trans!

Connect it in series with the radiator. The front tube from the trans is the outlet. Leave it in the radiator. Run a line from the remaining radiator outlet to the cooler. Then the return line from the cooler ties into the trans line that goes to the rear of the trans.
Im doing one this week. I'll post pics.
Doug

20231128_144504.jpg
20231128_144207.jpg

Connect it in series with the radiator. The front tube from the trans is the outlet. Leave it in the radiator. Run a line from the remaining radiator outlet to the cooler. Then the return line from the cooler ties into the trans line that goes to the rear of the trans.
Im doing one this week. I'll post pics.
Doug
What is the downside to a standalone cooler?

You might as well squeeze as much heat out of the trans fluid before you re-circulate it!
Just a stand alone cooler would have to be so much larger.

I always run them stand alone. Only been doing it that way for about 40 yrs.....
Couple of reasons:
- helps to keep the engine cooler by not feeding heat into the cooled rad coolant
- less fittings in the cooler cct, less chance of a leak

I run mine in parallel. Never an issue and I like the idea of having the radiator cooler warming it up on colder days. Mine are all 5/16 flare fittings.
20150921_163716.jpg

With a 9.5” converter and a 22” radiator, I didn’t want to introduce any more heat to the cooling system by plumbing the trans cooler in series. The GTX been running with a standalone cooler for 20+ years without issue. IIRC the cooler is rated for 30,000 GVW…

Auto Transport Service
Back