• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air Tools?

17WithaCoronetRT

Local time
5:45 PM
Reaction score
I have NO idea where to start when looking for the right quality air tools, i look on craigslist daily im just not sure what the best brand is, im about to start the project, we built a shed to move our garage stuff into and get the car into the garage :headbang: we got an engine stand and hoist and a craftsman toolbox for me, so that all was step one. gettin tools for the project and myself is step two, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Craftsman is good...Mac and snap on are the best...Ebay is a good place to get tools too..I got alot of mine there ..
Petty Blue 67 gtx

Were you at sacramento raceway on sunday?

as far as air tools go, if you dont want to spend the buck on snap-on i would stay with ingersoll-rand ... very good quality air tools. i have been using the same 1/2 , 3/8 impact for the last 5 years with no issues. keep them oiled and they are happy !! ... all my other pnuematic stuff is snap-on ( ratchets, drills, hammers, etc .... ) ... oh yeah, and i use them in a shop ALL DAY / EVERYDAY !!

I like Ingersol-Rand impact wrenches.
Model 231 (450 tq IIRC) is the "standard" and can be had used for fairly cheap.
I did my homework and found that model 232 (550-600 tq) is 95% the same as the newer "Thunder Gun" (630 tq), and bought one used on ebay for $50 (vs $250 new).
Only difference is cover, printing and tungsten alloy"hammer", which accounts for the tq increase.

I'd get a compressor that puts out at least 10CFM if not more, especailly if you will be using a sandblaster or having two people using air tools at the same time.
Mine is 32CFM (Bel-Air via craigslist) and I can sandblast to where it can barely keep up.
These are not the easiest to find for a good value, but can be done.
Mine retails for $3,000, but I paid $750 from a guy who was closing his body shop.

Get a good water seperator (maybe two), and put one farther down the line from the tank, so the air has time to cool, and more moisture will come out.

Last edited:
I like Snap on tools the best but Craftsman is as good as any reasonably priced tool... Don't buy any tools from Harbor freight!

I like ingersol rand i still have a gun thats 20 years old and if if not mistaken craftsmen and mac are made by ingersol. ihavent bought any air tools in a while but i was a truck mechanic for 20 years and ive had em all . never had much luck with snap on air guns .

As A retired line mechanic, I highly reccomend Ingersol Rand air tools. i got them from the Mac man.They hold up well. I rate them better than Snap on. Just sayin....

I like I-R impacts and ratchets, and am brutally possessive about my I-R die grinders. Hate to admit it, but for my "loaner" die grinders & impacts I buy HF- just with the understanding that I'll use them till they take a crap and then throw them away.
Just 4-5 drops of a GOOD air motor oil daily is all it takes to keep an air tool happy.

Last edited:
I use craftsman for hand tools, my air tools [depends on how much i'm going to use them] my 1/2 inch impact and da is ingersol,my cutoff,drill,body saw,angle grinder are harbor freight.I agree with RON73 don't buy harbor freight [unless your poor like me] the only H.F.tool that has been crap from day one is the body saw,all the rest i keep oiled and they are fine.I also agree with the compressor sugestion do yourself a favor get a big uprite right off with a good dryer system [don't be cheap a good one will last you a long time],i have a little 20 gal which sucks for any air tool you have to keep stopping and wait for it to catch up takes forever to do metalwork. Good luck with you project have fun it will be worth it when it's done.

I hardly ever use my air impacts anymore. I have 1/4" and 1/2" 18V lithium ion impacts that do almost everything I need to do. That said, I couldn't live without my air die grinder, I think it's a CP...about $40.

Just a word of clarification-

Chicago Pneumatic has been around for a long time and makes a great quality, professional grade air tool.
"Central Pneumatic" is a harbor freight sound alike brand.
HF also sells "Chicago Electric" to add to the confusion.
I don't see much "real" CP stuff anymore.
I wonder if the confusion is hurting business?

Chicago Pneumatic is still available thru Enco for one, definitely not to be confused with Harbor Central Pneumatic.

I sold tools in the Auto Parts business for 27yrs. Had direct accounts with most major air tool companys. Definatly Ingersoll Rand and Chicago Pneumatic were the best. With the lowest return for defect rate. I know Snap on has good quality also , but you are paying too much usually just for the name. Also Snap On is propietory , for thier dealers only. Generally cant be bought at Parts Stores. Go with I/R or C/P

Got a Craftsman 1/2" drive impact wrench as part of a 3 piece kit from them. The Impact cant even take off lug nuts!!!!! I had suspected it was weak, so I torqued the lug nuts to 100 ft lbs spec. The craftsman impact couldn't budge them! What a piece of ****!!!
Btw, last I checked Snap-On doesn't MAKE ANYTHING powered!!!! Just buys from others. Especially their rip-off welders!

Btw, last I checked Snap-On doesn't MAKE ANYTHING powered!!!! Just buys from others. Especially their rip-off welders!

maybe in the past, but they have a new line of air tools out and are made by them ... i have had the 1/4 , 3/8 ratchets for a couple of years now and they are awesome .... they also have a new 3/8 impact out, strong as hell ! BUT, matco still sells the IR impacts with matco bodies on them !

Im sick and tired of using our 4 sided wrench for taking off wheels, its way too time consuming, air tools would be a big help for me and my family as we have like 8 cars and we do work on 7 of them so im glad ive gotten so many responses! im looking currently for Ingersol rand as you guys all pointed it out as a great brand, ill keep my eyes out for any others that were stated on this thread, thanks again guys

Auto Transport Service
Back