• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator on A/C runner.

blue69runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:23 AM
Reaction score
Now putting A/C on this old runner. Some say I need a larger out put alternator. Is this true or not. I have the Classic air up grade seeing how I did not have the heater box or any thing when buying this car. I figured that the old alternator would run the fan motor for heater and the clutch on the A/C compressor. Should not pull that much power. So what do you guys think. Any info is appreciated.

Now putting A/C on this old runner. Some say I need a larger out put alternator. Is this true or not. I have the Classic air up grade seeing how I did not have the heater box or any thing when buying this car. I figured that the old alternator would run the fan motor for heater and the clutch on the A/C compressor. Should not pull that much power. So what do you guys think. Any info is appreciated.

On a Mopar of that vintage, it was likely that the origional alternator was a 2 groove sheave drive, round back, single field (only 1 field supply wire, the other brush grounded at the alternator) and 46 amp output. This will accomodate all electrical loads imposed. Your other concern will/should be the additional heat load generated by the inclusion of A/C. This will, or should, include the 26" wide radiator and fan shroud, and the water pump drive sheaves and pump impeller, along with the necessary crankshaft drive sheaves, and a thermal drive fan clutch and 7 blade fan, plus all the little pieces, parts, brackets, nuts and bolts. Its a fairly straightforward addition that, with some forethought, be very successful. Just my opinion of course. Others will have differing opinions.
BOB RENTON

I agree with Bob , make sure your cooling system can handle the heat from the condenser blowing thru the radiator, it adds roughly 20degrees to cooling system. Also the ac water pumps originally had less blades than the non ac cars. Alternator in 70 was bumped to a dual field 70 Amp, I do believe . Part number ended in 178 I think.. depending on your year and how want to go about look to see what oem was, add the correct alternator for ac, as the blower will still be on a 20amp fuse it won’t change. Also make sure you use the correct parts on the cooling system to keep it happy!

Not exactly sure what your imogee is suppose to represent???? What are trying to say....in English...please.
BOB RENTON
He used a fairly common emoji, Bob. It's a bucket of popcorn, generally used to indicate that someone is interested in the topic and is going to watch how it unfolds.

On a Mopar of that vintage, it was likely that the origional alternator was a 2 groove sheave drive, round back, single field (only 1 field supply wire, the other brush grounded at the alternator) and 46 amp output. This will accomodate all electrical loads imposed. Your other concern will/should be the additional heat load generated by the inclusion of A/C. This will, or should, include the 26" wide radiator and fan shroud, and the water pump drive sheaves and pump impeller, along with the necessary crankshaft drive sheaves, and a thermal drive fan clutch and 7 blade fan, plus all the little pieces, parts, brackets, nuts and bolts. Its a fairly straightforward addition that, with some forethought, be very successful. Just my opinion of course. Others will have differing opinions.
BOB RENTON
Thank You for your knowledge!

He used a fairly common emoji, Bob. It's a bucket of popcorn, generally used to indicate that someone is interested in the topic and is going to watch how it unfolds.
Are we going to get a scientific explanation for this to

There is a sticky or tech section already in the heating cooling section if one is really interested. Just look in the top of each section. A vast amount of information can be found if one is so inticed to look for it.

IMO...
In this day of social media, where, we, the occupants of this time and place, seem to be pre-occupied with conformity, and feel an overwhelming predilection, use these little cryptic symbols as expressions of oneself. Maybe, IF there was a dictionary of what these little symbols are suppose to represent or mean, i would understand their value. Personally, i prefer the one on one, real contact experience....where one can hear the intonation, expressions, intensity of the communication with a real person...not a cartoon representation. To that end, i see no need to text, snap chat, face-book, or any other of the social media venues....and I still use my 10 year old "dumb" phone.....with no intention of "up-grading" anytime soon.
BOB RENTON

IMO...
In this day of social media, where, we, the occupants of this time and place, seem to be pre-occupied with conformity, and feel an overwhelming predilection, use these little cryptic symbols as expressions of oneself. Maybe, IF there was a dictionary of what these little symbols are suppose to represent or mean, i would understand their value. Personally, i prefer the one on one, real contact experience....where one can hear the intonation, expressions, intensity of the communication with a real person...not a cartoon representation. To that end, i see no need to text, snap chat, face-book, or any other of the social media venues....and I still use my 10 year old "dumb" phone.....with no intention of "up-grading" anytime soon.
BOB RENTON
THAN you should thank Photon440 for educating you on this n you will know for next time???

IMO...
BOB RENTON
Again, thank you Mr Renton. I too do not text, snap chat, face book, and I also use a many year old flip (dumb) phone.

I got the smart aka dumb phone but have hit the point where I believe tech has ruined folks melons and all this spying on folks is ridiculous... I’m going backwards and liking it better.. stay true to what you believe !

IMO...
BOB RENTON
Well, fair enough. Not everyone wants to spend time keeping up...I don't have a "dumb" phone but until last summer I had no mobile phone at all. But there's no need to look for a dictionary, you have the internet. Do a search for 'popcorn emoji' and plenty of descriptions will avail themselves for your perusal, likely as quickly as could be accomplished by thumbing through an actual dictionary. You mentioned to ruffcut "in English....please", but one of the key points to the emoji is the universal language factor.

That aside, Bob, I do appreciate your invariably concise and well worded help; when you have a good answer you're often one of the early responders to someone's query and I'm sure I'm not the only one who enjoys your input. Just my opinion of course. :)

Well, fair enough. Not everyone wants to spend time keeping up...I don't have a "dumb" phone but until last summer I had no mobile phone at all. But there's no need to look for a dictionary, you have the internet. Do a search for 'popcorn emoji' and plenty of descriptions will avail themselves for your perusal, likely as quickly as could be accomplished by thumbing through an actual dictionary. You mentioned to ruffcut "in English....please", but one of the key points to the emoji is the universal language factor.

That aside, Bob, I do appreciate your invariably concise and well worded help; when you have a good answer you're often one of the early responders to someone's query and I'm sure I'm not the only one who enjoys your input. Just my opinion of course. :)
THANK YOU FOR KIND WORDS AND THOUGHTS.....I try....to be concise.
I'm not knocking the current trends.....just a little "tongue in cheek" sarcasm....perhaps too much but sometimes it seems we (the human race) are retrograding back to hieroglyphs or cave painting in lieu of verbalizing our feelings.....
Regards,
BOB RENTON

So appreciate the in put. Have a high flow water pump. Fixed fan no clutch. Went with a 3 core radiator. Bigger than what came in the car. I is a four speed so won't be cooling an automatic trans. Yes fan shroud and a 7 blade fan. Look's like the original fan with the big blades. I can take in all the info and it seems like I have covered all the basics. Just have to go over the alternator. I is a single grove pulley. With classic air it has it own belt and dose not contact the water pump. Thanks. blue69runner.

Auto Transport Service
Back