• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum heads

Tony 69

Local time
7:06 PM
Reaction score
I wanted to ask you guys, from experience what brand heads do you like the most?
Out of the box bolt on. Which one has the highest cfm flow? Thanks

Which one has the highest cfm flow
Indy 440-1's
NOT what you would want for most street cars. Probably better off with Edelbrocks. Some may say Streetmasters, but I hear a lot about issues.. Any heads you get should be checked out by your machinist, and not just bolted on.

I’m wondering if I should have mine flow tested because I do t know what they are. But I was told I will only get 2hp per cfm. So 200 cfm will not produce over 400 hp. Does that sound right ?

Trick Flow 240s get high praise here.

I have a set of CNC ported Stealth heads that run very well.

Trick Flow 240. I'm using them on a street driven 512 and I really like them. Make lots of power. The others I have on different engines are Indy SR's opened to Max Wedge and fully ported. And the TF 240's I think make more power. The others I have on a 500 cubic inch with 13 to 1 comp are Indy 440-1 with 2.25 intake valves and are fully ported. Not street driven. ruffcut

Sounds like trick flow 240 is getting some nice reviews! I’ll check them out.

For out of the Box bolt on, I'd say the Trick Flow heads as they are CNC ported (flow as advertised out of the box) and come with a selection of springs / retainers that you can select to usually match your cam.
Just about all will need the reduce wrenching head bolt kit.
I don't know about using stock rocker arms on the Trick flow heads? I used the recommended Harlan Sharpe roller rockers, but the price of them are really expensive now days.

I have never used an Edelbrock E-street, and not sure how they differ from the RPM heads. The RPM heads are pretty common as a "bolt-on" head, but like most of these, it is best to have then checked out before using them. Most of these as-cast non-CNC heads usually flow less than advertised and need port cleanup and valve job to get them to flow as advertised.
I think there are some off-shore knock-offs of the Edelbrock Heads (streetmaster, procomp?), but again, never had any of those.

I do have 440 source stealth heads on the 505" stroker, but I tore them apart, and did some bowl and port cleanup, multi-angle valve job and replaced the springs and retainers, so not really a bolt on for my use, but they do look closer to factory than the other aluminum heads.
I recently got a set of the CNC ported 440 source stealth heads still in the box. I will check them out. I am hoping all i have to do is replace the springs and retainers for the cam I use.

Edelbrock RPM heads bolted on out of box have never let me down, I've ran several sets on different cars and currently still running them. I would stay away from E-streets. For just street performance and no hassle quality out of the box and decent price hard to beat Eddy RPM's, jmo. Plus the angled plugs on Eddys work great with Doug's Headers.

Last edited:
I love my Edelbrock RPM heads but I am running the old .509 purple shaft
I don't need the flow at .600
Note that they were not perfect out of the box
I had them checked by my machine shop and they had some tight guides & need some clean up in the bowls
He also changed the valve springs out to better match my cam
I also had the Valves unshrouded as well
75cc heads with the old Speed Pro L2355 .030 gave me 10.7:1 Compression

videos of my 3800 pound car running the 1/8 mile 7.604 @ 90.74

My car has the Stealth heads,
Was told approx. 9.5 comp, the repop sixpack style cam and stock HP manifolds and TTI 2.5" exhaust.

I'll be honest. I don't have a lot of details on the engines build. But I do know the car runs Good, REAL good.

341907396_753247449602124_6234500620271586027_n.jpg

I’m wondering if I should have mine flow tested because I do t know what they are. But I was told I will only get 2hp per cfm. So 200 cfm will not produce over 400 hp. Does that sound right ?
The hp/cfm applies to everyone. So " in theory " a stock bigblock head might be in the 230 range - 460 hp.
A decent 300cfm should be in the 600hp range.
Of course that doesn't necessarily mean you'll instantly make that power,,
It means they're capable of the power if all else matches the build

I dont buy the 2hp/cfm. Way more to cylinder head efficiency than flow numbers. The heads on my car flow a little over 380. Thats 760hp. It's been 150@3350lbs. That takes close to 900 uncorrected HP. Ive built several street cars with Eddy RPM heads out of the box. They all were fine. A few were raced as well. One ran 10.90's, the other 11.40's. So potential is there with the correct setup. The 11.40 car runs pump gas and drives on the street very well. All that being said, if the Trickflows are available they'll be even bettter.
Doug

I don't recall where the 2.2 HP / CFM was published, but I think Superflow was part of it, and was based on a 10:1 compression V-8 wedge engine?
Flow is an indicator, but without velocity, it is hard to figure port energy.
With higher velocity you can delay the intake closing point without reversion to capture more air/fuel.
This is sort of where the Mcfarland formula comes into play which looks at port cross section area to estimate port velocity and approximate the engines torque peak RPM.

The Charger has the Hughes Engines CMC ported Edelbrock Victor max Wedge heads that flow 400+ cfm, but they are also a pain to setup a reliable valve train if trying to run 0.750+" valve lift.

On the trick flow I see 3 options for valve spring size (diameter). What does this mean? The numbers seem to be really close.

Auto Transport Service
Back