• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And Another 383 build

1970lynch

Local time
12:56 AM
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I am starting to rebuild my first engine and look for an advise.
What I have:
383 B block #2468130-2
heads from 400/440 #4006452
stock pistons
stock crank

It was a decision made to bore the block to 4.280 after taking all the measurements.
That makes me to buy a set of new pistons and here is the question.
And at this point I started to think like it is a good moment to raise compression ratio on this combo.
So the main question is:
What way of increasing compression ratio would you recommend: reduction of the combustion chamber by cutting the heads surface or (if that is possible) putting dome pistons. Not sure if these ways might be equal by the output.

I know that might be written totally stupid but would appreciate if you can give me some direction to move.

Since you need pistons anyway the smart choice would be the correct piston. The trouble is that the available selection for 383 is limited. Before you buy anything. Decide what your goal is. Heads, intake, cam, converter, gear, intended usage and budget.
Doug

First thing is to be realistic about how this motor will be used, how much work the rest of the car needs to support more power, what gas do you plan to run (pump premium, non-oxygenated, race 110 or??). Like dvw said what are the other motor parts(cam, valve train, intake, carb, ignition), consider RPM limit (high RPM takes expensive parts). You probably want to mill the heads to flatten them, I wouldn't plan on making major CR changes by milling the heads. Other members can give suggestions on pistons. Good luck, think through the plan.

Yep i got it.
So what else do i have and what i am looking for:
-Still waiting info on cam I have, it is in a workshop at the moment. I know it is a purple shaft. No specs at the moment.
-I have a 727tf with TCI torque converter #141200 with 2400 stall speed.
-I have Edelbrock Performer RPM intake.
-Ford 8.8 rear end with 3.73 gear ratio.

For the beginning I want to build mild street car running on regular gas. Not a strip car at the moment. There is almost no drag events and strips here in Russia:))

Last edited:
After some information digging i looking for a KB400 pistons with 0,20 dome height. If crank shaft and connecting rods will stay stock, do i have to make rotting assembly balancing as kb400 have different weigth

how good is your gas or do you export all the good stuff :)
so what compression are you shooting for ?
post the weights you are considering
your 452 heads have hardened seats --if they have not been reground excessively - valves sunk
check for any taller syems
you will have no quench so I'd aim for a true 9:1 and cam accordingly for regular gas
I do not know (IDK) where the domed pistons will get you

how good is your gas or do you export all the good stuff :)
so what compression are you shooting for ?
post the weights you are considering
your 452 heads have hardened seats --if they have not been reground excessively - valves sunk
check for any taller syems
you will have no quench so I'd aim for a true 9:1 and cam accordingly for regular gas
I do not know (IDK) where the domed pistons will get you
I decided to go with stealth heads instead of 452. So now the question is will KB400 work with these heads and do i necessary need to make a rolling assembly balancing as we dont have such machine shops here in russia... hope our gas is ok. I think we have something similar to yours 91.

Auto Transport Service
Back