• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And so it begins..... my new garage

All in all, the tubing is relatively cheap - it's the foam board that is a little salty.
I have hydronic heat in my shop and it was the best decision I've ever made.
Same here. I agree 100%

The term you are looking for is purlins, not perlings. Just busting you balls a little. House wrap over the purlins would help with draft. Skip the kraft faced insulation and run a 6mil plastic vapor barrier on the inside of the studs. You never want to install kraft faced insulation on the face of the studs, only on the sides. If you overlap it on the face of the studs, it makes it hard if not impossible get the sheetrock tight to the stud. Eventually this leads to the screws and nails "popping" after it is mudded. You are right with your thinking on getting a good tight envelope to seal the building. If you have any questions feel free to PM me, I've been doing this stuff for a long time. Jason
Thanks and yes I spelled purlins wrong :rolleyes:. Hmmmmm I always put the paper over the studs and guess what I've got some heads popping in my house, I'll remember that for sure. I'd be expecting a PM once building commences. Thanks

I haven't posted pics because there's not a lot to see yet but here's what I've done so far. This is the barn that had to come down, the tall section is a typical barn made from Chestnut, the addition was just poll barn construction. I saved the Chestnut, scrapped the siding and burned the rest. My excavator has proven to be very unreliable so who knows when he'll get done, he's digging at the moment.

IMG-20160710-WA0000.jpg

20160815_194403.jpg

20160816_174252.jpg

I hate hiring people........ I'm 2 weeks past my excavators original estimated time for finishing this, he shows up as I'm leaving (10:30) and I come home at 5:00 to a hole I could've dug by hand!!:BangHead: I don't get it, he's got a backhoe and a truck so hows he making money if his equipment is here doing nothing?

I hate hiring people........ I'm 2 weeks past my excavators original estimated time for finishing this, he shows up as I'm leaving (10:30) and I come home at 5:00 to a hole I could've dug by hand!!:BangHead: I don't get it, he's got a backhoe and a truck so hows he making money if his equipment is here doing nothing?
Now you know why I do EVERYTHING myself. It usually turns out better than most of the work I've paid for.

Now you know why I do EVERYTHING myself. It usually turns out better than most of the work I've paid for.
Same here but when it comes to running a hoe it would take me forever to get back in the swing of things. These guys can knock a job out quick...... WHEN THEY WORK. This will be the only hired worker on the garage.

You need a better excavator.
I could have gotten a better one but the guy doing it is an ex Marine (door knocker in Iraq) that's seen more than one should. Paying my respect I guess you could call it, good guy just bites off more than he can chew at times.

I could have gotten a better one but the guy doing it is an ex Marine (door knocker in Iraq) that's seen more than one should. Paying my respect I guess you could call it, good guy just bites off more than he can chew at times.
Get in the thing and figure it out, at this point, you could probably figure it out faster. ... Course that's water under the bridge now!

If it was a rental I would but it's his equipment and you don't touch another man's toys. I'll just make the best of it and do some tree clearing while I wait. Next weekend is the deadline, I'm pulling the plug if it's not done.

America.jpeg

Finally some progress:D. Woke up Sun morning and stacked a load of fresh cut Poplar then worked till 8:00 on cutting down trees and burning all the tops. Thanks to my brother in law it all got done because without his help I doubt it would have. The excavator busted butt today and mostly got the whole area leveled for construction to begin. No surprise he hit one small spring but a small spring this time of year typically means a healthy spring in the Spring so that'll need addressed. Looking good, got next week off so hope for some progress.

Here's the Wormy Chestnut I saved from the barn, really cool getting my hands on a wood that's non existent anymore. Got plans for building a kitchen table, chairs and more out of it.

20160822_195058.jpg

This is after the trees were cleared, liked it better before but trees rooted in the thin soil on a rock is bad news not to mention the mildew that the garage would grow with no sunlight

20160822_200054.jpg

Can't believe this mammoth mound of dirt. Great.... the yard is getting bigger meaning more mowing!

20160823_193734.jpg

You can see the notch where the garage will go finally, looks like about a 4ft concrete wall will be needed.

20160823_193805.jpg

And this is no surprise to me at all, I live on top of an oasis! I swear every time I dig a hole I find water.

20160823_193832.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a better shot from on top of the rock, I've got cement blocks roughly marking the footprint. You can see the space restraints I have here because of the driveway's.

20160823_194055.jpg

This should be enough rough cut poplar to build the whole thing minus the post for the 24 X 24 section, can't order them until I see the final grade if I want the wall heights to match.

20160823_193925.jpg

nice looking piece ground........ what part of the state is that?

Full steam ahead! Looking good too.
Bustin *** to get it dried in before the cold???? When do y'all typically start getting bad weather?

Auto Transport Service
Back