• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And so it begins..... my new garage

Question #1
Seeing how the back wall will be at least 4ft under grade how much deeper do you need to go? I'm sure there will be times it could become freezing cold inside but wouldn't the dirt at that depth actually prevent freezing? The plan is a stepped footer to keep the footer below the frost line but to me that becomes grey in areas that are already 3 ft under externally.

Question #2
The 24X24 area down the hill will require some fill (24" at the most and just the edge) so my plan is to have the excavator build a bank outside of the footprint only to hold gravel from migrating. I'll dig the post holes 3 ft deep then fill whatever needs filled with gravel (need to research what size). Any tips for filling with no settling issues?

Last edited:
Full steam ahead! Looking good too.
Bustin *** to get it dried in before the cold???? When do y'all typically start getting bad weather?

Sept is usually pretty hot and dry, Oct brings the cool weather and rain and then just cold after that. I'm pretty confident I'll get it under roof before the cold really kicks in but the rain won't be much of a concern as long as I get the concrete work knocked out quick. Yes bustin ***....... when I'm not at work!

Based on the slope of the hill, I'd say that can't be Ohio; that state is as flat as a pancake.
You obviously don't know Ohio, if your on the western side yes it's flat but once you get to interstate 77 it's all hills. I've never cared for western Ohio, boring flat stretches of road with nothing to look at so next time your in state you'll have to check out the Appalachian area. Were I live it's not mountainous but rolling hills and farm land everywhere, beautiful country with excellent white tail hunting.

Last edited:
Here we go again, it never fails that I start thiking "what if" and it's always followed with more spending. So I'm looking at the site and start thinking what if I were to build it 2 stories? When we were kids we built a bridge connecting the upper floor of the barn to the rock and would park our dirt bikes up there??? If I added a 2nd floor I'd double the space and have somewhere to park the Can Am using a bridge off of the rock again. 2X12 floor joist completely filled with blow in insulation, I'd have run a beam down the center to pickup the joist but I'm really thiking about postponing the 24X24 section and just go another floor. Maybe tackle the 24X24 next year. What do ya think?

Decision made, going double decker... Got a lot of figuring to do on supports. I'll need a beam running across the back to pickup the load from the overhead wall then another down the center to pickup the 16 ft 2X12 Floor joist. Debating between steel or since I have height just building a trussed beam out of wood. Made the decision to go with a block foundation (can't afford poured) so now what style of block? I was looking at rebar block? Looks like they're designed to add rebar horizontally and to be easily poured solid, never used them...

20160824_144914.jpg
20160824_144927.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a picture of a rebar block. Looks like a good option with large holes for pouring and the open cross section with rebar pockets to tie them together horizontally.

Screenshot_2016-08-24-17-45-37.png

Hell ya, now your making me jealous! That is going to be awesome.
I think being able to drive the side by side up that rock into the upstairs will be pretty cool. Might have to start thinking about a zip line for the kids??

:BangHead: I came home to all that progress on the digging and haven't seen much since WTF! How do people make any money like this, his hoe is broke again! I picked the wrong dude for the job no question about it, won't do that again. Rarely answers his phone, doesn't ever keep you in the loop as to what's going on and obviously doesn't care about his customers schedule. I've even offered to rent a hoe so he can get it done..... On vacation next week to start the foundation..:(

he's on vacation next week? ....... I'd have someone else there doing the job, he had plenty of chances

he's on vacation next week? ....... I'd have someone else there doing the job, he had plenty of chances
I'm on vacation next week to start construction, he's just MIA!! Problem is his equipment is broke down right where the digging needs done!

Go rent a hoe and drag his junkpile out of the way and finish it yourself!!! Can't count on anyone else these days!

20160828_190620.jpg
Here's the footer plans, I love poured walls but for a garage I'm not paying the ridiculous price when block is a fraction of the cost. I'll use the rebar block on the areas that will be holding back the bank and likely regular block everywhere else (about 30% more $$). I'll rebar and pour the rebar block solid and at least every few feet of the rest with vertical rebar.

The garage door openings in the pic will be slightly above grade.

20160828_190636.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back