• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And so it begins..... my new garage

Wish I could report progress, came home Friday to a flooded footer and had to shovel mud out that had collapsed in on it:BangHead:. Waited until Saturday afternoon when it had finally dried up enough to work on..... then the sky unloaded big time again:mad:. It's still a big mess but the weather looks good with only a small chance Wed so I'll see what I can do.

F******************************

bang head.gif

We need less dirtwork and more woodwork!!! Hope you got the shoveling done.

Rain is still being an issue but I got the first row laid in the trench, the block starts moving quick once that first row is in nice and true. Hoping to put a trash pump in it tomorrow with nice weather in the forecast so it can fully dry up while I lay 2 more rows at which time I'll burry the trench once and for all. Next weekend I think I have some help lined up to lay block so with any luck I'll make some headway...... I've got 100 block out of 700 laid:BangHead:. At least I'm moving on it.

Question for you guys that have done this type of work. Should I be worried about the dirt under the footer getting mushy causing settling issues from all this water sitting in it? It's a foot thick and I've been pumping the water out but you can't get it all, I stuck my hand down in until I felt the bottom of the footer and the dirt feels firm down there??? I plan on digging all of the mud out and letting it dry for a few days before filling it.

We need less dirtwork and more woodwork!!! Hope you got the shoveling done.
Almost, I'll be digging tomorrow but as long as the forecast is correct I should be above ground by Wed. Can't wait to start nailing! My lift should be showing up in a couple weeks too.... now where to put it?

Shoveling mud is just so much fun! Sorry to hear about your setback.
Just ask my neighbor, he says as soon as he see's me put a shovel in the ground he knows the rain is coming haha.

As long as you don't disturb the ground under the footer you will be fine. Just shovel out the muck that has fallen in and install your drain tile gravel and filter fabric.

As long as you don't disturb the ground under the footer you will be fine. Just shovel out the muck that has fallen in and install your drain tile gravel and filter fabric.

I shouldn't have to worry about drainage tile on this should I? The part I'm working on is on the downward slope and gets fully buried on both sides. It will only be 1 or 2 blocks above grade. Now on the other side I plan on putting in plenty of gravel, tile and a moisture separator also.

No you don't have to. I am just a better safe than sorry kind of guy. It is cheaper to put in some drainage when things are open and accessible than going back later if there is an issue.

I shouldn't have to worry about drainage tile on this should I? The part I'm working on is on the downward slope and gets fully buried on both sides. It will only be 1 or 2 blocks above grade. Now on the other side I plan on putting in plenty of gravel, tile and a moisture separator also.
I'm sure no drainage expert, but if the area stays wet much of the time and you have somewhere for for the water to go, laying drain tile in the trench wouldn't hurt anything. If you have plenty of fall on that side, it probably isn't needed.

I built a 24 x 32 single story in Georgia once and I put drains all around that thing, even though I didn't need to.

I'm sure no drainage expert, but if the area stays wet much of the time and you have somewhere for for the water to go, laying drain tile in the trench wouldn't hurt anything. If you have plenty of fall on that side, it probably isn't needed.
It's an area that will never be wet, because of grade everything will flow away plus it will be under roof once done. Right now because of the leveled grade for the floor all of the runoff runs right in, plan is to rent a compacter and pack it tight up to floor then install drainage tile all the way around it. I could install footer drains all the way at the bottom but the excavator left me a mess with no where to go with it and once done I don't think it's necessary or is it?

I built a 24 x 32 single story in Georgia once and I put drains all around that thing, even though I didn't need to.
It will but I'd like to do that once this footer is 3 ft under.

It's an area that will never be wet, because of grade everything will flow away plus it will be under roof once done. Right now because of the leveled grade for the floor all of the runoff runs right in, plan is to rent a compacter and pack it tight up to floor then install drainage tile all the way around it. I could install footer drains all the way at the bottom but the excavator left me a mess with no where to go with it and once done I don't think it's necessary or is it?
The way you describe it, I wouldn't think so.

Don't worry about the drain tile. Your not build anything below grade. You will be fine.

Auto Transport Service
Back