• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And so it begins..... my new garage

Good progress, great pictures. Keep them coming. I see you your priorities straight, lift is in, roof next.

Almost made my goal but close enough to put a smile on my face. Took longer than I thought tidying up the upstairs framing, adding bracing, installing the top sill and squaring it up but got it done. We got about half the trusses set but anybody who's ever laid trusses knows the first couple are the hardest, it's on now! Got a better pic in the daylight too. Gotta admit it's looking more like an apartment lol. Honestly thinking the upstairs will be best served as a game room, pitching machine and pitching area set up for my daughter so she can practice during the winter and maybe a ping pong table, pool table, etc but still parking for the Can Am.
20161114_132818.jpg

20161114_151616.jpg
20161114_151635.jpg
20161114_154329.jpg

Need to start thinking about the bridge, you can see the span in the pic with my dad standing on the rock. Going to keep my eye open for an old mobile trailor frame or something along those lines to start with. My coworker who attends flee markets and auctions sold me an insulated 9ft X 7ft garage door for $100 still in its wrapper so I'm good there now.

Question for you guys, the metal supplier for the siding is pushing hard for me to install bubble wrap or some sort of moisture barrier for under the tin on the roof? It's going to be all open, no ceiling, insulation or anything so I can't see the benefit. If I do end up heating it down the road I'll insulate the ceiling but have a lot of airflow in the attic so again I don't see any reason for it..... seams like somewhere to collect moisture?

Looks like the guy next door has a sweet Charger..... :rofl:

20161106_163059-jpg.372269

J/K - I know it's yours. :thumbsup:
I'm just tickled to death that I'm still driving it in November, with the weather we're having I'll be driving it on Christmas day!!! A bit cold in the morning though, this was this morning taking the kids to school.. 29 degrees and the race carb with no choke fired right up:thumbsup:. Wearing a T shirt by 1:00!
20161114_080224.jpg

Question for you guys, the metal supplier for the siding is pushing hard for me to install bubble wrap or some sort of moisture barrier for under the tin on the roof? It's going to be all open, no ceiling, insulation or anything so I can't see the benefit. If I do end up heating it down the road I'll insulate the ceiling but have a lot of airflow in the attic so again I don't see any reason for it..... seams like somewhere to collect moisture?
Hmmm.rain will sound less like gunshots. Snow will slide off instead of freezing to the roof. If the product u use has a moisture barrier on the top side a leak will run down and out.

Honestly, I'd recommend 2.5"-3" foam insulation on the outside, under the roofing material. It will keep the heat out in the summer. It's also the most efficient way of insulating. I replaced the roof on my building about 5 years ago. The attic is not heated and the walls are not insulated. So I waffled on whether I should insulate the roof or not. I'm so glad I did. In the summer, the attic is only what ever the outside temp is, no hotter. You could feel the distinct difference while we were putting the insulation on. Unfortunately it's not cheap.

Question for you guys, the metal supplier for the siding is pushing hard for me to install bubble wrap or some sort of moisture barrier for under the tin on the roof?
Over here we lay bitumen impregnated 'building paper' under the roof - even long run iron, or corrugated etc. A lot of people also use it under concrete tiles. It has been standard practice here for decades. Keeps the condensation under the roof away from falling to the ceiling, and it basically runs downhill to the external guttering.
paul007_1-roof-underlay.jpg

home4.jpg

213_01.jpg

Hope that helps - or answers your question. :thumbsup:

Yeah, you should put something under the roofing, whether it's roofing felt or reflectix. We have a couple of metal roofed buildings that sweats pretty bad this time of year and in the spring when it frosts. These buildings have crushed stone floors which doesn't help any. Your concrete with a vapor barrier will make a lot of difference.

My old building didn't have any bubble wrap under the roof and it would drip constantly when the temps would change. In my new building I had the bubble wrap installed and no dripping now. I think you will regret not using bubble wrap.

Yes you definitely need some kind of a vapor barrier. Especially since you will be heating the first floor of the building. Bubble wrap is ok, a rigid foam would be even better.

Boy was I off on the cost!!!! After figuring up bills and the priority items left to be bought I was very disappointed.... it's time for some bargain shopping now! I really wasn't to surprised seeing how there's been a whole other floor added, thicker concrete and the decision to not use Amish siding this time. The Amish have a press where an Amish stands on both sides with a tape measure and marker stamping every rib one at a time so it gets off and can be a bear to lay not to mention there's no ribs in between so it warps easily. I found a local guy that rolls it out any length you want and pretty cheap too with much better color options.... much better quality. Ordered and had it within a couple days!

Been shopping for garage doors and got a good deal on 12X8 Haas 2000 series doors for $719 each, of coarse that's no windows and me installing them but like I said... time to start bargain shopping. Might buy the window panel later and add it but for now it's not in the budget. The doors are 2" thick and R17.66, really nice doors! Hoping to wrap up the trusses and purlins this weekend so I can move onto siding.

We have a roof..... kinda! Another *** busting weekend of squeezing the trigger of a nail gun and the roof is ready for metal finally. It didn't come easy, woke up Sat to cold wet weather but pushed threw the rain then it turned to snow which eventually made it get dark early but good progress was made. Woke up this morning to more freezing temps and quite a bit of snow on the second floor deck errr.

This garage is scary tall for me and has me debating spending a couple hundred dollars to rent a lift for the weekend to knock out the siding asap????? It's 22-26ft to the eves and 27ft to the gable end!! I don't like heights at all!

I should only be a week from being closed in minus garage doors which may take 2 weeks so it looks like I'll make it in time for the nasty weather. Pretty darn happy with the way it's coming out.

20161120_123716.jpg

Last edited:
great progress. It sucked going from 72 degrees Friday to 40 on Sat and 32 today. Glad you pushed through and got done what you did. Guess I'm lucky, the heights don't bother me a lot. I do get nervous near the 2 story roof edge when I'm putting up the christmas lights. You can do it, look what you've accomplished so far. Keep UP the good work. pun intended. :lol:

great progress. It sucked going from 72 degrees Friday to 40 on Sat and 32 today. Glad you pushed through and got done what you did. Guess I'm lucky, the heights don't bother me a lot. I do get nervous near the 2 story roof edge when I'm putting up the christmas lights. You can do it, look what you've accomplished so far. Keep UP the good work. pun intended. :lol:
Putting some long Johns on and a toboggan was all it took to make it a comfy day of work but yes I liked the 70 degree weather much better.

I'm actually doing pretty good up there, once I start getting things to wrap my legs and arms around I get more comfortable so it's good. Still not getting on that edge!!

Auto Transport Service
Back