• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another 340 cam recommendation thread, which ones to consider?

idrivemopar

Local time
1:11 PM
Reaction score
So, getting ready to send out the 340 for rebuild, its the original motor for my 73 Roadrunner, and i want to get a bit more performance.

I dont want to go to crazy as it will be driven on the street and the highway. Its an automatic car with 3.55 gears. I am also thinking about bumping up the compression from 8.5 to 1 to 9 to 1. Thoughts?

what cams should i consider with 8.5 or 9 to 1 compression?

Answer me this first, would you be willing to change the torque converter out for a higher stall unit.
Are your heads stock?

If the answer is no to the a ove questions, look at cams in the 220-226 @ .050 intake duration. Add 6 - 8*'s more duration for the exhaust.

Yes, already talked with the builder about the torque converter, and since i have a torque converter of unknown origin, yes, it will be changed and most likely based on the engine dyno results to see what power curve is. Yes, using stock heads.

I'd say Rumble has it right for a mild daily driver that will run forever. Just a little dab will do ya as the saying goes. I built a hot street 340 back in the 80's and ran the hemi grind cam with an LD 340 intake. The compression was approaching 10:1 and it was a 4 spd car (later to find out one of 43 69 Dart 318 4 spd cars!). It went high 13's on crappy Sears 78 series tires through normal turbo mufflers but with me driving because the owner would still be looking for second. The more cam you put in expect to change more components and that includes the drive train.

So, here is the proposed plan for the motor. It will be bored 30 thousands over, the crank will be 10 under.

Bumping the compression up to as close to 9.5 to 1, using Keith Black Hypereutectic pistons(KB 243), hope is to get into the range of 5 thousands over or under the block deck to achieve 9.5 to 1. Upgrading the connecting rod bolts and a Crane 272(693941) cam with 454/480 lift and 272/284 duration. This would put the power range between 1,800 and 5,400 RPM.

Anyone have thoughts or concerns with this setup? I need to get a decision to the builder tomorrow so he can order the parts.

Anyone, anyone...... Buller......Buller....Buller.....

Auto Transport Service
Back