• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

any electricians or builders / remodelers on here ?

jprather

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:15 PM
Reaction score
does anyone know how to hang a fixed style light from a sloped / cathedral ceiling so it hangs level ?

i sketched it out the best I could, i hope it makes sense. I really dont want to cut the ceiling open to replace box.

ya ya i know, way off topic for this forum !

Untitled.jpg

thought of that , but a chain wont work on this light

Is this a ceiling fan with light or just a particular light you want? If it doesn't have a ball post or a chain extension feature, I'd think it's going to sit parallel to the slope. Maybe post a photo of the fixture. The lights I installed on our cathedral ceiling are recessed and have a ceiling fan extending down from a post hanging plumb.

does anyone know how to hang a fixed style light from a sloped / cathedral ceiling so it hangs level ?

i sketched it out the best I could, i hope it makes sense. I really dont want to cut the ceiling open to replace box.

ya ya i know, way off topic for this forum !

View attachment 1553026
:xscuseless:

Photo of the problem please.

You may have to construct a piece of wood that fits the base of the light fitting, and is angled to the ceiling to give a level underneath surface.
(I described that as best I could, I hope it makes sense)

its the black light fixture.

Resized_20231107_133220.jpeg
Resized_20231107_134041.jpeg

Ceiling fan/lights usually are hung with a ball socket bracket that makes it self-level itself.

I would see if an engineer or metalworker could make a tapered tube out of light gauge aluminum for you. Paint it black...or white....to blend in the ceiling.

That's a tricky ceiling to work with.

As posted, that would be remedied with a linkage or ball socket, (with a hole for the wiring) I could see making one with a link pin or key for that out of round or square black plastic or steel stock painted to match. Saying as not sure if the post is square or round. Have to factor the length so the fixture bulbs are low enough to clear the sloping ceiling.

To add, perhaps rotating the offset fixture so the longer part is turned to the left viewing the photo and centering the light spread in the room. A shorter extension would then be possible.

Nice! You could do this instead.

Even if that fixture is made to hang straight, it will still need a longer down tube. @dadsbee sloped box would work but fixture looks like it will hit the ceiling without longer tube.
Correct .....need to know the angle of the dangle, then the length can be determined.

Correct .....need to know the angle of the dangle, then the length can be determined.
Wow - I was NEVER able to figure out the angle of my dangle...and just gave up..

Auto Transport Service
Back