• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any leads on a front wheel hub for '68 Satellite?

RockinRachel

Local time
2:11 PM
Reaction score
The place in my front wheel hub where the outer wheel bearing race sits is completely worn out. I've done internet searches for a replacement and come up with nothing. Any suggestions?

I just replaced drums with disc brakes from a 72 RR on my project 68 RR, so I have drums available as well. I bought new rotors for the disc setup from Mancini Racing. Hop the info helps.

I just replaced drums with disc brakes from a 72 RR on my project 68 RR, so I have drums available as well. I bought new rotors for the disc setup from Mancini Racing. Hop the info helps.

It does, it is good to know that is an option for the future. We've had a lot of car drama the last few months, pretty much wiped us out. I just need to get the Plymouth back on the road as easily and inexpensively as possible. I was not aware of Mancini Racing, very cool!

Drum brakes? What size? I May have a pair of them

Sorry, the day before yesterday I went out and was doing some other work on the Plymouth. I have a major illness (MS) and all that really took it out of me, I just had to go to bed afterwards. And then, I don't know if you heard, we had a major earthquake in Salt Lake City early yesterday morning and several nasty aftershocks. Our 110 year old house has new cracks in the bricks and walls and our power was out for several hours. I just barely got my computer turned back on. This year has for the most part sucked! I feel like getting the Plymouth is about the only good thing that happened, this problem is disappointing.

Anyway, it does have 10" drums.

I just checked rockauto.com and they list replacement drums for your car

I had a similar problem on the inner race on my factory front DISC brake hub many years ago - race spun in the hub due to someone overtightening the bearing. Good used ones were hard to find and no one was making new ones at the time so I had a machine shop make a sleeve and that has worked fine for almost 30 yrs. I don't recall it being very expensive, but it might not be cost effective at today's prices, especially since new drums are available and used ones are not that hard to find.

Try a WTB add here and note your location.
You might find someone in your neighborhood with something laying around.

Sorry, the day before yesterday I went out and was doing some other work on the Plymouth. I have a major illness (MS) and all that really took it out of me, I just had to go to bed afterwards. And then, I don't know if you heard, we had a major earthquake in Salt Lake City early yesterday morning and several nasty aftershocks. Our 110 year old house has new cracks in the bricks and walls and our power was out for several hours. I just barely got my computer turned back on. This year has for the most part sucked! I feel like getting the Plymouth is about the only good thing that happened, this problem is disappointing.

Anyway, it does have 10" drums.

Crazy times in Utah ! I’m pretty sure I have what you need and can look tomorrow if you want me to, or if you want to pursue something more local to you that’s fine too. I’m in Alberta so shipping may be more than the lower 48..

Crazy times in Utah ! I’m pretty sure I have what you need and can look tomorrow if you want me to, or if you want to pursue something more local to you that’s fine too. I’m in Alberta so shipping may be more than the lower 48..

I made a WTB post, I've no clue what to expect from that. Any wild guesstimate as to what the shipping cost to send something like that?

I’ll see if Canada post has some sort of online calculator and get back to you

Someone in Mexico also has some hubs, so I put that info into the UPS online calculator and all of the shipping options came back over $100 dollars. I definitely can't do that. I'm attempting another repair (my first one failed). If that still doesn't work, I may investigate what Copper67sat suggested above and see if I can get a sleeve made for it.

Besides the rotors, what other parts does one need to convert to disc brakes? Spindles and calipers, no doubt. Master cylinder?

yes, spindles and calipers. of course new hoses. you can use your distribution block for front and rear brakes.
I will be upgrading to a new master as well. I'm going with manual brakes, so no booster. Oh and I used the bottom ball joint for the 68 setup. hope this helps!

yes, spindles and calipers. of course new hoses. you can use your distribution block for front and rear brakes.
I will be upgrading to a new master as well. I'm going with manual brakes, so no booster. Oh and I used the bottom ball joint for the 68 setup. hope this helps!
Thank you, that helps A LOT!

hubs are everywhere , drum brake b or c or e bodies interchange and drums from a pickup will have the same type hub . there are plenty of guys getting rid of their drum stuff , and drivers or passenger will interchange , just a stud change if you havn't gotten rid of your left hand lugs .

Auto Transport Service
Back