• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any recommendations on header back exhaust systems?

67charger440

Local time
2:28 PM
Reaction score
I’m asking specifically for a 66 charger with long tube headers. I’ve read that a lot of exhaust systems that claim to fit b-bodies don’t actually fit the 66-67 charger due to the gas tank. Anyone have any recommendations from first hand experience?

TTI mandrel bent full exhaust is quite nice. You would have to adapt at the front end if not using their headers however. I believe they sell a kit with pieces you cut and weld together for that.

Question 2.5" or 3"? Put a 3" TTI header back system with brand X headers. Fit great, I bought an H-pipe only issue was needing to add to crossover pipe. Crossover pipe was 2.5" went to parts store bought pipe slip over one end and go inside other end. X- pipe might not be as easy but don't know.
1965 Dodge 011.JPG

All the replies about TTI was why I asked about the brand of headers. I would go with the TTI system and adapt it to what you have.

All b bodies does not mean 68-9. There is also 66-67.
Contrary to popular belief ?

FWIW I would go as far as to blindly recommend the TTI system for your application. I have never owned the year in question but the several TTI Systems I have installed on 68-72 b bodies leaves no doubt as to the consistent quality of there products. My latest set of TTI's were installed on a 69 Superbee with a 440-512stroker and a 4 speed with a scatter shield Headers are 1 7/8 long tube headers and full TTI 2 1/2 x pipe system with Dynaflo super turbo mufflers. I had Zero clearance issues anywhere and of note is that my headers are wrapped and I still have ample clearance.

resto36a.jpg resto37.jpg resto38.jpg resto11c1.jpg

The TTI tubes are pretty good. Mandrel bends and a decent, fit in general. Not exactly a straight bolt on with my cars, usually took some triming and adjustment to get the fit I wanted, but most of my cars are not using the TTI headers.
On the '71 Charger, have the TTI 3" H-Pipe exhaust, and Hooker Super Comp headers on a low deck 400 block with raised exhaust port cylinder heads. Anyhow, I had to frim the H-Pipe shorter to fit. Car has the stock non-HP tail pipes that turn down, and they fit good.
On the '69 Coronet have the 2.5" X-crossover system with the chrome tips and I had to shorten the tail pipes for using the tips.

Exhaust shop quality varies, and usually the tubes are compression bent, not mandrel bends, but a good shop can get the fitment real good.

The TTI tubes are pretty good. Mandrel bends and a decent, fit in general. Not exactly a straight bolt on with my cars, usually took some triming and adjustment to get the fit I wanted, but most of my cars are not using the TTI headers.
On the '71 Charger, have the TTI 3" H-Pipe exhaust, and Hooker Super Comp headers on a low deck 400 block with raised exhaust port cylinder heads. Anyhow, I had to frim the H-Pipe shorter to fit. Car has the stock non-HP tail pipes that turn down, and they fit good.
On the '69 Coronet have the 2.5" X-crossover system with the chrome tips and I had to shorten the tail pipes for using the tips.

Exhaust shop quality varies, and usually the tubes are compression bent, not mandrel bends, but a good shop can get the fitment real good.
Your right I also had to trim my ends to install the tips I had forgotten..

Auto Transport Service
Back