• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any seasoned Mazda Techs on the board

I guess what I'm hoping for here.. someone else has had the AT light flash and the trans go neutral and then hammer back into gear and go... and knows how it was fixed! AH... to Dream.. LOL
So that started happening shortly after the hubs were replaced?

Thank you , did a reread, up to speed.

Any Mazda TSB's out there for the trans issue?

Your on track, it probably staring at you just be patient. I’ve been in your shoes with squirrels chewing stuff up. Keep us posted...

Any Mazda TSB's out there for the trans issue?
The only mazda recall ever on these things was back up camera harness. Tsb... I don't know, no Mazda dealer here in town and I'll be damned and burn this thing before I give the artists at the dealership that have been taking her for msrp on parts and $142/hr for labour a dollar. I bought the rear hubs from another dealer. Her's quoted $385 each and 3 hours labour. I bought the same hubs for $255 each and free shipping and took 1hr -45 to swap them out. They charged her 3 grand to do her brakes in August. Rotors at twice what I can buy them for and pad kits at X 4!

Last edited:
The only mazda recall ever on these things was back up camera harness. Tsb... I don't know, no Mazda dealer here in town and I'll be damned and burn this thing before I give the artists at the dealership that have been taking her for msrp on parts and $142/hr for labour a dollar. I bought the rear hubs from a other dealer. Her's quoted $385 each and 3 hours labour. I bought the same hubs for $255 each and free shipping and took 1hr -45 to swap them out. They charged her 3 grand to do her brakes in August. Rotors at twice what I can buy them for and pad kits at X 4!
I expect shops to make a profit, they don't need to rip folks off....

And I'll add that was another Ontario Mazda dealer I bought the hubs from, where I'd never spent a dime!

Actually found a list of 355 TSB's and went through them. None with a complaint of a similar problem.

I couldn't link them all, but you could read all night about the issue.
Of course there's no real answers out there other than , new transmission.

I couldn't link them all, but you could read all night about the issue.
Of course there's no real answers out there other than , new transmission.
Yeah, just cause the internet has tons of trans concerns doesn't mean that's what going on here... His described symptoms point to exactly where he's looking.. Wheel sensors...

Yeah, just cause the internet has tons of trans concerns doesn't mean that's what going on here... His described symptoms point to exactly where he's looking.. Wheel sensors...
Still baffled how they also blink the AT light and throw it in neutral briefly though...

I too, hope an intermittent open in a wheel sensor circuit is making the trans pop in and out of gear. But it is a stretch.

Still baffled how they also blink the AT light and throw it in neutral briefly though...
Yeah, the AT light is concerning... I have seen a couple Fords go into neutral for sensors... Has to do with the stability/traction control...

Well I just talked to one of Mazda techs and he told me they really don't have many transmission issues but he has replaced a few over the past 5 years. He said they do have ABS wires that go bad and they must be replaced when you replace the sensor. I never replace a sensor/hub on a Toyota without replacing he wire too. The strands are just so fine they break with very little tugging or stretching. I had a few comebacks before without replacing the wires. He also said to check the wires in the kick panel junction connectors for moisture. Especially if this condition happens when the weather is damp or colder than normal. Sometimes the windshield will leak down there at the bottom of the A pillar.
If your new scanner has a function to isolate the 4 sensors that would really tell you the ABS issues.

Hope this helps.

Gus

Thanks Gus, I was on my head in there today and all looks good. LOL

My new scanner should be here tomorrow or Thursday latest and I'm praying it actually shows all sensors at the same time. It was 400 Canuck bucks so I hope so.

20240102_121800.jpg

Wayne, you are in the right track chasing bad grounds. I fought a very similar issue with a Jeep Liberty CRD a couple years back. After all of the ground were fixed, still intermittent problem. Turned out in the end it was bad contacts in the main power relay to the ECM. I had been checking for continuity and voltage with a multimeter, mistake, once I used an old school incandescent test lamp, the dim bulb showed up leading to the compromised relay. Showed correct voltage but the load of the test lamp pointed out the voltage drop. That plays all kinds of havoc with CAN BUS, or whichever protocol it uses.
Another thing I have run into with the ABS sensors is the insulation cracked where there is a wire tie. Can't even see it, but Canadian corrosion starts inside the insulation and you can get wonky ABS reading, even after replacing the sensors.
Good luck

A note on repairing the grounds, I prefer to use Nolox on the terminals as opposed to die-electric grease. Helps prevent dissimilar metal corrossion and enhances continuity.

Auto Transport Service
Back