• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody doing any upgrades to their Race Cars over the winter?

Great looking wheels. I like the modern drag rims on an old racecar. I wish all of you a good succesful racing-season 2011 without any accidents or injuries.

[
The car does need some help with the rear suspension. I think it's got the stock leaves with the right rear biased by ~1", which annoys the fire out of me. Anybody got recommendations on the best rear set up to run these days?

The engine dyno'd at over 800 hp and almost 800 ft lbs at 7100 rpm, while making over 660 hp from 5000 rpm up. I'd like to hook it, if possible.

Southernman

If you don't plan to cut it up and install ladder bars or 4 link Calvert mono leaf springs, Caltrac bars and QA-1 shocks will do the trick. Call Calvert for the parts and excellent customer service.

Thanks Actionage. I've heard a lot about the Cal Trac stuff, but often times I hear the Cal Trac set up puts the rear suspension in a bind. Has that been your experience and if yes, did you try floaters or something else to reduce the effects ? What has been your experience with them ?

Southernman

Finally got the engine in my 64 Dodge Polara. I went with a '69 K-member, which put the engine back against the firewall (where it belongs); modified the trans X-member for set back; added frame rails and boxes from ART; all new front suspension and brakes; put a stout radiator in it (the '69 K-member allows plenty of room for upgrading the cooling system); just worked to make several overdue repairs to prepare for cruising this spring.

I've included a pic, and a link to a short youtube clip of the car. The engine had just been fired up in the video - with tuning still required.

View attachment 29702

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM7Pk1G7u_c

The car does need some help with the rear suspension. I think it's got the stock leaves with the right rear biased by ~1", which annoys the fire out of me. Anybody got recommendations on the best rear set up to run these days?

The engine dyno'd at over 800 hp and almost 800 ft lbs at 7100 rpm, while making over 660 hp from 5000 rpm up. I'd like to hook it, if possible.

Southernman

NICE RIDE!!!!! Sounds real good. How big is the motor? 800hp and 800ft lbs of tq it has to be big.

I agree with Ange, Ladder Bars would be first choice but if you're looking for the stock look. Cal Tracs is the best choice.

We haven't had any problems with binding. I've never heard that before.

Hey Kev
Eddy carbs are easy to tune. Remember all the fun Joey and I were having with 2 of them on my car at the Beaver? Best part NO FUEL to drain like a Holley. :glasses6::icon_hang:

I know they work... It's just, I've never had much experience with them.

Although what's not to like having $10.00 a gallon fuel spewing all over the intake and moping it up with rags??? LOL

Now that I think about it the Eddy carbs are kind of like "green carbs" because you don't have to spill fuel to change jets. Maybe the Obama administration will endorse them. You can get Obama Bucks back for every Edelbrock carb you buy. LOL

Thanks Actionage. I've heard a lot about the Cal Trac stuff, but often times I hear the Cal Trac set up puts the rear suspension in a bind. Has that been your experience and if yes, did you try floaters or something else to reduce the effects ? What has been your experience with them ?

Southernman

I haven't had any problems with binding. I've never heard that before regarding Caltracs.
However if you run leaf springs and ladder bars a floater system should be employed to eliminate binding as the spring and ladder bar don't get along good without one. They are operating in different arcs and binding will occur.

I know they work... It's just, I've never had much experience with them.

Although what's not to like having $10.00 a gallon fuel spewing all over the intake and moping it up with rags??? LOL

Now that I think about it the Eddy carbs are kind of like "green carbs" because you don't have to spill fuel to change jets. Maybe the Obama administration will endorse them. You can get Obama Bucks back for every Edelbrock carb you buy. LOL

Yeah Obama Bucks- that's the ticket!
But we'll probably have to pay a fine for burnouts for the air pollution LOL

I gutted out the entire electrical system and installed infinity box. Almost done. The switch panel was so tight to get out, I tore up the vinyl. I took it to Morris in Mesquite, TX for them to shave the padding and install some black leather. Has anyone ever experienced the black vinyl on their dash "leaking" some type of goo when the weather gets hot?

I gutted out the entire electrical system and installed infinity box. Almost done. The switch panel was so tight to get out, I tore up the vinyl. I took it to Morris in Mesquite, TX for them to shave the padding and install some black leather. Has anyone ever experienced the black vinyl on their dash "leaking" some type of goo when the weather gets hot?

Found my shaker hood this weekend. Now I am making a custom drop base & shaker scoop to fit the Dominators.

20180120_220926.jpg 20180120_220934.jpg 20180120_221005.jpg

I sent my stealth heads out to Modern for their full meal deal, and currently in the process of installing a roll bar.

Mine has at least another year before it on the track and i cant wait

Does color/paint count

still no jack-stands either

68 RR LL1 10-29-2017 #4a PS frt.JPG

Amazing this thread was brought back from the dead from a Texas IP:realcrazy:

Ehh getting close, New engine, trans and rearend. New wheels and wilwoods on all 4 corners. New 4 link out back and rebuilt front suspension. Might get it off the lift by may.

E345E392-E761-4ADE-89FB-DC33958AFC84.jpeg
07BA984D-1AD4-4860-801F-90B1FDD78738.jpeg
072BC037-1010-4F6E-9031-2F9AC76E8E90.jpeg
13544F74-946E-4839-AF30-77C31648A553.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back