• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody doing any upgrades to their Race Cars over the winter?

20180301_122332.jpg
Been a slow process, broke the ring and pinion, that trashed part of the transmission, decided to freshen up the motor. got some parts powdercoated

Thanks Joe, hope to see you at the races

LOL... This is his son Kevin. We broke a rod at Norwalk last year... I would like to get out this year but it's not looking good... at least early on.
I did get a block which I was lucky, and I got the head fixed so that's a start. Now it's up to what my wallet will allow. I would like to be out before the end of year, we'll see how it goes.

Good Luck this year!

It's in and running, took it out today for test drive. Runs great!
20180316_131451.jpg

I went to freshen up. The list just keeps growing. Trans had 350 passes. Found some weird breakagge. A Super sprag tab cracked off and the reaction support ring grooves damaged. Clutches and bands like new. Went to do a compression test before replacing the valve springs and found a stripped spark plug hole. Checked engine bearings. Found a couple of mains that were borderline. Decided to pull the motor and get the crank checked out and fix the head. Pulling the motor plate I discovered the mounting face of the waterpump severly pitted on one side. Will have to mill it flat. Stated to clean the bottom of the car. Found a leaking front shock. Pulled all 4 shocks and took them to my shock guy. Rear valving is WAY off. Fronts need rebuilt, we're going to tighten the valving as well. Went back to cleaning and found a cracked LF frame rail. So now the K frame and suspension needs to come off so it can be repaired. It was running perfect at the end of the year. Just goes to show how important it is to keep up on maintaince.
Doug

Last edited:
Sounds like you have some work to do Doug, good thing you caught everything now and not during the race season.
Those "little air cleaners" actually only slow the car down .01 (1 hundredth), much rather run them and keep crap out of the motor. Very limited clearance with the crossram and factory height scoop.

Just got the call from the crank guy. hairline crack in the #3 main at the thrust. Ordering a new Molnar crank tomorrow. Good thing I won a fair amount of money last year.
Doug

Just got the call from the crank guy. hairline crack in the #3 main at the thrust. Ordering a new Molnar crank tomorrow. Good thing I won a fair amount of money last year.
Doug
ouch

Tex

Sounds like you have some work to do Doug, good thing you caught everything now and not during the race season.
Those "little air cleaners" actually only slow the car down .01 (1 hundredth), much rather run them and keep crap out of the motor. Very limited clearance with the crossram and factory height scoop.
that's interesting...do u race it with that stock PCV hose from the back of the intake to the passenger valve cover also? I was under the impression that because of all the possible vacuum leaks in these intakes..u want as many holes closed as possible..to make sure the carbs r the only source of vacuum..

Yes, race it with the pvc hose valve. This is an A&A intake, no leaks that I am aware of.

4E84A5D0-7AFD-4CC6-92B2-BD830F56C0F6.png

I went to freshen up. The list just keeps growing. Trans had 350 passes. Found some weird breakagge. A Super sprag tab cracked off and the reaction support ring grooves damaged. Clutches and bands like new. Went to do a compression test before replacing the valve springs and found a stripped spark plug hole. Checked engine bearings. Found a couple of mains that were borderline. Decided to pull the motor and get the crank checked out and fix the head. Pulling the motor plate I discovered the mounting face of the waterpump severly pitted on one side. Will have to mill it flat. Stated to clean the bottom of the car. Found a leaking front shock. Pulled all 4 shocks and took them to my shock guy. Rear valving is WAY off. Fronts need rebuilt, we're going to tighten the valving as well. Went back to cleaning and found a cracked LF frame rail. So now the K frame and suspension needs to come off so it can be repaired. It was running perfect at the end of the year. Just goes to show how important it is to keep up on maintaince.
Doug
---
Gonna be a busy and somewhat expensive spring Doug.

racing with air cleaners..makes sense,i guess if u r not looking for that last ounce of bottom e.t. then better to be safe than sorry..i was thinking of using a velocity stack base and wire mess and foam over it,something like in the pic...
63UnionGrove6091.jpg
any thoughts...

racing with air cleaners..makes sense,i guess if u r not looking for that last ounce of bottom e.t. then better to be safe than sorry..i was thinking of using a velocity stack base and wire mess and foam over it,something like in the pic...View attachment 584988 any thoughts...
——
There’s a great air cleaner / dyno test out there. Sure shows what works. The foam top didn’t fare too well. The top element on a velocity type stack was #1.

Auto Transport Service
Back