• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone here ever had Bells Palsey?

In my wife's case, she got BP in her 40's exactly the same way as you described. She'd had BP when she was in her 20's and it cleared up on it's own in a few weeks. However this time it stayed. She went to her doctor who prescribed steroids which didn't help. Then she went to a naturopath who had been successful treating our daughter's illness. The naturopath said it's often called a head stroke, effecting the nerves and recommended we try different treatment types asap as the recovery window is usually small. The only treatment that worked for her was acupuncture. Her recovery was hampered by the effects the steroids had on her. She's in her 70's now and her recovery is the same as Kern's sister. Sorry, also no photos, lol. Hope this helps.

Background: Bell's palsy is a rare adverse event reported in COVID-19 vaccines. Given the importance of neurological manifestations, the necessity to highlight and scrutinize the incidence of them following COVID-19 vaccination is needed. This study aimed to systematically review the reported cases of Bell's palsy following vaccination against COVID-19.

[/URL]
I had a bad reaction to a Covid-19 vaccination shot as well. I went from being a happy, well-adjusted guy to a nervous wreck. I couldn't sleep well, was anxious, depressed. I had a brain fog and a feeling of imminent doom. I went to the hospital by ambulance twice, thinking I was dying. The doctors there said I was suffering panic attacks. It was awful, feeling the cheese sliding off the hamburger. Scaring the crap out of my wife. My doctor put me on a prescription pill, something like Zimbalta, she said. I take it daily, and am mostly better. I now can't tolerate crowds, however. I made the mistake last year of going to Wal-Mart at Easter last year. I had ever seen the place so crowded! I got really anxious, and told my wife I had to leave and sit in our Jeep in the parking lot. This has happened a couple of times since. Indoor swap meets are kind of hard to endure. I no longer take the booster shots.

My Mom had BP back in 2007. She was sitting on her sofa, when my Dad noticed something very odd. He thought she was having a stroke and called for an ambulance. The EMTs show up and said they didn't believe it was a stroke, but it was BP, instead. The ER doc confirmed that, but he also let my folks know that BP can be a precursor to stroke, which I didn't know, nor did they. Mom had a devastating stroke in later,January 2009. So, definitely do whatever your doctor tells you to do concerning this.

Had a friend that had it a few times, just as you stated. It went away in about a month and he was fine. Wishing you a speedy recovery!!........... Ulli

Last edited:
Had a coworker that experienced this. Scary, but short lived with complete recovery. Stay calm.
I'm sorry, I fail to see the basis for often the response of suggesting "stay calm", when the possibility of stroke MIGHT exist and all that entails.
It sounds great, and maybe is good for a snake bite, but regardless, immediate attention is deserved based on the long-term possibilities.
I would be OK with "Don't panic", but it is potentially serious and until under Dr care, it needs prompt attention.
What somebody's sister from across town that a coworker worked with recovered from means nothing in the big picture.

I had a bad reaction to a Covid-19 vaccination shot as well. I went from being a happy, well-adjusted guy to a nervous wreck. I couldn't sleep well, was anxious, depressed. I had a brain fog and a feeling of imminent doom. I went to the hospital by ambulance twice, thinking I was dying. The doctors there said I was suffering panic attacks. It was awful, feeling the cheese sliding off the hamburger. Scaring the crap out of my wife. My doctor put me on a prescription pill, something like Zimbalta, she said. I take it daily, and am mostly better. I now can't tolerate crowds, however. I made the mistake last year of going to Wal-Mart at Easter last year. I had ever seen the place so crowded! I got really anxious, and told my wife I had to leave and sit in our Jeep in the parking lot. This has happened a couple of times since. Indoor swap meets are kind of hard to endure. I no longer take the booster shots.
This happened to a friend of mine I shoot pool with. He got exactly as you said. Only in his mid-thirties. I think he ended up on disability for over a year. Went out one night and ended up on the floor against the wall with chest pains and left by ambulance. They said he had a panic attack. He has then been sitting at home and could only go a certain distance from home and no where near people. Last week he came out for 15 minutes but stayed outside and talked as people went in but didn't go into the club. This past Tuesday he came into the packed Championship match and spent an hour 1/2 inside. He had enough was starting to feel weird so he left... He is now working every other day.

There was man on the news a few days ago that had 150+? COVID shots for no explained reason and reports no side effects, the researchers have him under study, for other than I suspect he has a few screws loose prior to COVID.
Me, I've had 7, and all my screws are still accounted for and still loose.

This happened to a friend of mine I shoot pool with. He got exactly as you said. Only in his mid-thirties. I think he ended up on disability for over a year. Went out one night and ended up on the floor against the wall with chest pains and left by ambulance. They said he had a panic attack. He has then been sitting at home and could only go a certain distance from home and no where near people. Last week he came out for 15 minutes but stayed outside and talked as people went in but didn't go into the club. This past Tuesday he came into the packed Championship match and spent an hour 1/2 inside. He had enough was starting to feel weird so he left... He is now working every other day.
Has your friend received medical help for his symptoms? My doctor put me on Duloxetine 30mg. I guess it is similar to Zimbalta. I have to take it every day. It takes about 4 to 6 weeks to fully work, but greatly settled me down. I hope your friend has an eventual recovery.
Dave

@Sahara , so how are you doing ?
I’m doing O.K., thank you.
Other then the initial terror of thinking I had a stroke or tumour it was more of an inconvenience with a bit of discomfort.
Drinking coffee or anything was funny as much of it would just run out the “frozen” side of my mouth. Ditto with brushing my teeth. I couldn’t close one eye so I had to use eyedrops to keep it moist, which smurfs up your vision for about five minutes. During the day I had to reach up and close my eyelid to blink, and if I was outside in the wind my eye dried quickly.
To sleep I had to sleep on my side and position my pillow to hold my eyelid shut.
Because I couldn’t completely control my mouth I sounded drunk when I spoke.
Otherwise it wasn’t so bad. Much like when wife had cancer and we found out that many people had cancer, having this brought out many people that had been through it and advised and assured me.
So here I am, one week into it. I have improved every day, last Saturday was the worst and today is not so bad. I can drink carefully without a mess, ditto with brushing my teeth, although spitting is comical as it is much like firing a shotgun. My eye is quite a bit better but blinking is still weak.
This was a wake up call. I’m sixty three. The next time may not just be Bells Palsey. It’s time to rethink priorities and goals. Time to get back to working on my wannabee.
I’m fortunate in that I am debt free and wife and daughter both know that they are loved. If this had been worse the biggest burden I would have left would have been cleaning out the mess of cool stuff out in the shop.

I’m doing O.K., thank you.
Other then the initial terror of thinking I had a stroke or tumour it was more of an inconvenience with a bit of discomfort.
Drinking coffee or anything was funny as much of it would just run out the “frozen” side of my mouth. Ditto with brushing my teeth. I couldn’t close one eye so I had to use eyedrops to keep it moist, which smurfs up your vision for about five minutes. During the day I had to reach up and close my eyelid to blink, and if I was outside in the wind my eye dried quickly.
To sleep I had to sleep on my side and position my pillow to hold my eyelid shut.
Because I couldn’t completely control my mouth I sounded drunk when I spoke.
Otherwise it wasn’t so bad. Much like when wife had cancer and we found out that many people had cancer, having this brought out many people that had been through it and advised and assured me.
So here I am, one week into it. I have improved every day, last Saturday was the worst and today is not so bad. I can drink carefully without a mess, ditto with brushing my teeth, although spitting is comical as it is much like firing a shotgun. My eye is quite a bit better but blinking is still weak.
This was a wake up call. I’m sixty three. The next time may not just be Bells Palsey. It’s time to rethink priorities and goals. Time to get back to working on my wannabee.
I’m fortunate in that I am debt free and wife and daughter both know that they are loved. If this had been worse the biggest burden I would have left would have been cleaning out the mess of cool stuff out in the shop.
Glad your better, I hear you on priorities,
Sounds like you have a great family.
At 66 I have made a few recent changes also.
Back to work on the car :thumbsup:

Just a quick update, then this will probably be my last post on the subject.
In case any of you go through this, here is how it went. I hope that if you get this affliction my post might help.
It started with a bad headache, like I’d been hit behind my ear. The next day half of my face went limp like it had melted. Couldn’t close half of my mouth, and couldn’t close one eye. The eye thing was the worst, but I discovered the problem too late. I fell asleep the first night, but my eye didn’t shut. Consequently it dried out. Completely. Eyes don’t like being dry. So for about three days my eye ran, constantly. It felt like I had sand in it. I foolishly just applied a cold wet cloth to it. Turns out eyes also don’t like straight water. Once I got some eye drops at the drugstore things got much better. If I had done this the first day my experience would have been much better.
The facial paralysis cleared up fairly rapidly. Mostly it felt like I had been to the dentist and had some teeth frozen.
There are many helpful web pages. The best one for me was one by a neurosurgeon in India. He explains what is happening in clear language. It was very reassuring.
From start to finish it affected me for about exactly two weeks. The first three to five days were the worst. From what I read that is the low end of the scale, it can last two months or longer.

I am sincerely happy for the OP's promising recovery.
But a one-person positive antidote that shares not a single indication of why these very similar symptoms were not a stroke is IMO a dangerous sharing.
The sad thing is, nobody wants a to have a stroke, and positive thinking on this subject really means squat regarding the outcome, and somebody can easily become partially paralyzed and or dead by an incorrect self-diagnosis.
Your reported good outcome could unintentionally kill somebody else.
The almost cavalier attitude here on this subject by many is hard to understand.
Too bad dead people can't share their experiences.

We will keep praying for your continued and complete recovery.
We have a fragile existence here and we often don't realize it.

Just a quick update, then this will probably be my last post on the subject.
In case any of you go through this, here is how it went. I hope that if you get this affliction my post might help.
It started with a bad headache, like I’d been hit behind my ear. The next day half of my face went limp like it had melted. Couldn’t close half of my mouth, and couldn’t close one eye. The eye thing was the worst, but I discovered the problem too late. I fell asleep the first night, but my eye didn’t shut. Consequently it dried out. Completely. Eyes don’t like being dry. So for about three days my eye ran, constantly. It felt like I had sand in it. I foolishly just applied a cold wet cloth to it. Turns out eyes also don’t like straight water. Once I got some eye drops at the drugstore things got much better. If I had done this the first day my experience would have been much better.
The facial paralysis cleared up fairly rapidly. Mostly it felt like I had been to the dentist and had some teeth frozen.
There are many helpful web pages. The best one for me was one by a neurosurgeon in India. He explains what is happening in clear language. It was very reassuring.
From start to finish it affected me for about exactly two weeks. The first three to five days were the worst. From what I read that is the low end of the scale, it can last two months or longer.
Very glad to hear the update and that your doing good.
Now slow the heck down a little.

But a one-person positive antidote that shares not a single indication of why these very similar symptoms were not a stroke is IMO a dangerous sharing.
The sad thing is, nobody wants a to have a stroke, and positive thinking on this subject really means squat regarding the outcome, and somebody can easily become partially paralyzed and or dead by an incorrect self-diagnosis.
The almost cavalier attitude here on this subject by many is hard to understand.
There was more to what I was relating. First off, wife works in this business. She was the one that correctly diagnosed Bells Palsey. It wasn’t a self diagnosis, it was done by a recognized expert in her field that is consulted by medical professionals worldwide. Nothing cavalier there, it’s what she has done for thirty five years.
There are other checks that a person makes; check strength in both arms, balance, vision etc.
There was no positive thinking. I was convinced that I had a stroke or tumour and was knocking on heavens door.

When I had this, I also freaked out. I went to the emergency room and the reception guy asked me to raise my eyebrows. He called it the spared eyebrow test. If the eyebrow is also effected, it is likely Bell's Palsy. If the eyebrow does move, it may be something more severe. I'm not a doctor or anything, but that's one thing to look for.

There was more to what I was relating. First off, wife works in this business. She was the one that correctly diagnosed Bells Palsey. It wasn’t a self diagnosis, it was done by a recognized expert in her field that is consulted by medical professionals worldwide. Nothing cavalier there, it’s what she has done for thirty five years.
There are other checks that a person makes; check strength in both arms, balance, vision etc.
There was no positive thinking. I was convinced that I had a stroke or tumour and was knocking on heavens door.
1. You have not shared the other checks before now
2. Nobody is exempt from confirmation bias.
3. Few afflicted live with an expert in the field
4. I believe medical professionals are not supposed to treat/diagnose their immediate family beyond emergency care
5, And yet with her above qualifications your still consulted with the internet at the time.
6. My interest here is no longer about your steady progress, but for the others who may face a similar situation and not be as lucky and maybe by being misled to the potential seriousness of their symptoms.

Auto Transport Service
Back