• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Interested?

So glad to hear you've made such progress. Truly a work of art you and your son have created. Well I'd like to report similar progress on my truck, but definitely far from roadworthy at this point. But we'll persevere. As with all of us, life sometimes gets in the way of our projects. Matter of fact I still am interested in the miter box. Tractor hasn't moved an inch since our last correspondence, but the ideas I have for it are, I think, still the way I'm going to go. Just finished some engine work on car I bought to flip. So now it's the tractor's turn to come in the garage for a good lookover. I'll get it in and do some planning, and will definitely let you know if the miter box will work. Thanks so much for keeping me in mind.
Progress report ? Can I help in any
way?

20230224_131915.jpg20230224_131825.jpg
New pics in a better light. It's a 50/50
primer paint job. If you're half blind
and 50 ft away, it doesn't look too
bad. Bought the sound deadener
and a interior kit for door panels
and headliner.
Still waiting on the level 3 vin
inspection, but forsee no problems
there.
We need to be able to run this on
the road legally to get a few things
dialed in. Initial short trips around
the block indicate a massive amount
of torque.
Still have front and rear bumpers
to design and mount, along with how
we want the bed to look.
Paint is a whole different category,
as we'll disassemble the entire trucks'
sheetmetal to finalize the bodywork.
I truly wish I were 20 years younger !

Any progress? Very curious as to
how far you've got this going.
Yes, mainly on the drivetrain. Motor and transmission have been rebuilt. Need to finish metal fab on firewall and transmission tunnel. 440'

It's a 50/50 primer paint job. If you're half blind and 50 ft away, it doesn't look too bad.
:lol:

The truck looks awesome to me, so I guess I'm half blind (or maybe half dumb too?)!

Very nice work, keep after it you'll finish it! 440'

What a feeling you must have being able to make some laps with it.

I just caught this build for the first time. Two thumbs up!

1STMP I have the tractor in the garage, and have finalized the plan for the steering. When the weather improves (-30* Celcius here this week) I'll be heading to the local pick-a-part in search of steering linkage from a GM P30 motorhome or commercial van chassis. They use a type of bellcrank system that acts like dual idler arms of a sort. Google these for a look:

SUPERSTEER® SS3032-10D BELL CRANK ARM​

SUPERSTEER® P3032 BELL CRANK​

As this is just a acreage tractor I won't be needing these to be new, but the pictures should give you the idea of what they are. The bellcrank bracket with arm normally is bolted to the outside of the front frame rail (so 1 needed each side) because of the need to direct the relay rod steering force from ahead of the front axle, through these guys, which will then direct the steering force back to the steering knuckle/arm assembly at the front wheels. I'll mount these on the rectangular metal radiator surround; then I can push the effort back to the tractor knuckle steering arm. A GM Grand Prix steering rack will be used as the steering box/relay rod. It's a bit unorthodox and Kenworth-strong, but that's how I like it. The wonderful thing of this is I can cut steering parts apart and reweld as necessary because it's just a tractor and not a street-legal vehicle. When I can locate these items I'll be set. I'll keep you in the loop on the miter boxes. They will definitely work for me, but don't need them quite yet. And wow your truck looks so good!

1STMP I have the tractor in the garage, and have finalized the plan for the steering. When the weather improves (-30* Celcius here this week) I'll be heading to the local pick-a-part in search of steering linkage from a GM P30 motorhome or commercial van chassis. They use a type of bellcrank system that acts like dual idler arms of a sort. Google these for a look:

As this is just a acreage tractor I won't be needing these to be new, but the pictures should give you the idea of what they are. The bellcrank bracket with arm normally is bolted to the outside of the front frame rail (so 1 needed each side) because of the need to direct the relay rod steering force from ahead of the front axle, through these guys, which will then direct the steering force back to the steering knuckle/arm assembly at the front wheels. I'll mount these on the rectangular metal radiator surround; then I can push the effort back to the tractor knuckle steering arm. A GM Grand Prix steering rack will be used as the steering box/relay rod. It's a bit unorthodox and Kenworth-strong, but that's how I like it. The wonderful thing of this is I can cut steering parts apart and reweld as necessary because it's just a tractor and not a street-legal vehicle. When I can locate these items I'll be set. I'll keep you in the loop on the miter boxes. They will definitely work for me, but don't need them quite yet. And wow your truck looks so good!
Thanks for the update!
Post some pics of the process. Not
too familiar with GM's P30 chassis
as the RTS motorcoach doesn't have
a full frame. Those bellcranks look
pretty robust and should easily handle
the loads.

:lol:

The truck looks awesome to me, so I guess I'm half blind (or maybe half dumb too?)!
I wouldn't even begin to call anyone
dumb. It just ain't in me to do so.
Such a great bunch here, without
info provided I don't believe the build
would have gotten this far. Especially
with engine and trans issues. I can't
even begin to tell all how important
this project is to my sons' mental
and emotional well being.
It's been an honor with pride seeing
his interest held in completing this
truck.
Again, a special thanks here to all!
He reads your responses an thanks
for his military service.
Been trying to get him to sign up
to FBBO as info here is invaluable.

What a feeling you must have being able to make some laps with it.
Only a few times around the block at 25 mph.mainly checking oil
pressure, temp, and shifting points.
Have yet to really get on it.
So I don't even know yet if
the kick down cable is adjusted
correctly. She runs slightly warm at
200 deg, but have not engaged the
trans oil cooler, and the timing may
be a little too far advanced.
But all-in-all, the fact she's moving
is a great feeling.

Last edited:

As this is just a acreage tractor I won't be needing these to be new, but the pictures should give you the idea of what they are. The bellcrank bracket with arm normally is bolted to the outside of the front frame rail (so 1 needed each side) because of the need to direct the relay rod steering force from ahead of the front axle, through these guys, which will then direct the steering force back to the steering knuckle/arm assembly at the front wheels. I'll mount these on the rectangular metal radiator surround; then I can push the effort back to the tractor knuckle steering arm. A GM Grand Prix steering rack will be used as the steering box/relay rod. It's a bit unorthodox and Kenworth-strong, but that's how I like it. The wonderful thing of this is I can cut steering parts apart and reweld as necessary because it's just a tractor and not a street-legal vehicle. When I can locate these items I'll be set. I'll keep you in the loop on the miter boxes. They will definitely work for me, but don't need them quite yet. And wow your truck
I found another source for the miterbox. Let me know if you may
still be interested in using one
for your tractor. The source sells
new units to the public so you
may not have to go crawling
around under an old bus. Very
curious as to how you may be
able to incorporate one.

I had my son weld up sort of a
bumperett for the old truck, along
with some bed to cab close-outs.
Used some gravel screen I found
in the scrap pile. I used header flange
gaskets to cover the rough edges
from cutting holes in a square
pattern screen. Not to sure I like
this version yet, but I've never
seen this done before.
20230325_112119.jpg20230324_154249.jpg

Greetings All,
The project I've been working on and off
for 26 years is not your typical resto mod.
It's not a B body.
It has morphed into a tribute to my son
who served 9 years of hell in Iraq.
Army Rangers.
He suffers from a traumatic brain
injury and PTSD.
Keeping the garage organized is a major
challenge, as his cognoscenti abilities
are challenged.
Before I start posting pics and history
of the build, I would like to get a consensus
here of who may be interested. in a not
so normal build.
Thanks all....
I am absolutely in

That bumper looks great. I've had to lay off the tractor project for a bit, but I do have the finalized plan made up. Instead of using the P30 chassis/SuperSteer parts I'm going to fab up my own. I'll let you know when I'm back on it. Thank you again for your help.

Auto Transport Service
Back