• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone make a tool to remove Hemi plug boots.

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:18 PM
Reaction score
Asks the man who pulled the wire out of one of his? And yes, the boots and plug barrels were lubed with dielectric grease.

Mancini has a tool but they don’t seem to want to reveal the price publicly and shipping and tax will probably double it. But it looks like something similar might be home shop fabricated.

That looks like Mancini’s tool. At least I know the price now. Thanks

Can't you use needle nosed pliers to pull off? Assume it's down in the tube? You could make that tool. I probably have spare if something rips.

Fran, I used needle nose pliers to get the rubber insulator off the plug but of course it chewed it up in the process. But Classic has a rubber insulator/plastic boot replacement kit so I can salvage the wire. I just don’t like having to tug on the wires to get the insulators off. Even heavy application of silicon grease doesn’t seem to prevent their seizing. A tool that can be slid down inside the tube and hook under the rubber insulator seems like a good idea.

Well scratch that. I went out to the garage to see how much room there is in the barrel to slip something down past the plastic boot on the wire and there is essentially none - maybe 1/16”. So I guess I’ll keep on liberally greasing up the insulators, yanking on wires and stocking up on repair parts. I’ve tried in the past to use a set of rubber coated plug wire pliers to grab the plastic boot but that didn’t work either.

Ive had mine off and on a few times .

I always give them a good twist before pulling them up. Havent had an issue yet

I may have to try to do a better job of that. The plastic boot is down slightly in the tube making it a little tough to get a grip on it with my fingers.

The plastic boot should be up high enough the cap sits on top of it .
maybe pull the cap back a little and twist it by the tube / insulator

I run the msd hemi tubes and then add the stock tube seal to it. Much easier.

697BAC6E-FA67-4967-A6DD-A2368B12A8A7.png

The plastic boot should be up high enough the cap sits on top of it .
maybe pull the cap back a little and twist it by the tube / insulator

I broke my caps loose and greased them up some months ago so they slide on the wires pretty well but the plastic boots on these repro wires sit below the top of the tubes. I may just have to break down and buy a new set although these still ohm out OK.

I broke my caps loose and greased them up some months ago so they slide on the wires pretty well but the plastic boots on these repro wires sit below the top of the tubes. I may just have to break down and buy a new set although these still ohm out OK.

Slide the wire down inside the plastic tube a tad.( thus pulling the tube up a touch ) I have the repop dated wires on mine and the tubes are just high enough my top caps sit right on them

The only one I ever had a problem with is cyl #7 which has the rubber tube. And the issue I have is getting it over the spark plug at times

All my plug wires have been out for a few days now and after taking another look at them, I think my photographic memory may be failing me. :( I think the plastic boot tops do sit right at the top of the tube - even a hair higher - so they seat in the nipple in the rubber cap. But since the nipple is on the bottom of the cap I don’t know if the rubber cap can be squeezed down on the boot hard enough to twist the insulator loose or not. Guess I need to play with one of them and experiment before the grease goes (wherever it goes) and the insulator locks on the plug insulator and figure it out.

thanks

Agreed, not exactly factory looking but I use the same I just added the factory boot covers and cut the 90 degree portion off of the top.

View attachment 1257385

I run the msd hemi tubes and then add the stock tube seal to it. Much easier.

View attachment 1257222

I’m not sure I understand the MSD parts enough to venture down this road. What difference does the plug tube make with regard to getting the rubber insulator pulled lose of the plug? The MSD plug boots don’t appear to have a tube seal on them? Just unclear as to their benefit.

Would something like this not work? $30 at Harbor Freight.

41QZs+-kOcL._AC_.jpg

I’m not sure I understand the MSD parts enough to venture down this road. What difference does the plug tube make with regard to getting the rubber insulator pulled lose of the plug? The MSD plug boots don’t appear to have a tube seal on them? Just unclear as to their benefit.

They have a "T" handle design to pull them up from. As I show pictured on mine I added the boot covers.

Auto Transport Service
Back