• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Plug wire connection difficulty!

493 Mike

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:07 AM
Reaction score
I was provided a set of MSD plug wires when I picked up my 540 from Muscle Motors back in 2016. They appear to be top quality but, I am having great difficulty getting them to snap onto the plug connection. I have them lubed right up with dielectric grease but, due to location and mainly my arm/ hand strength I have several wires that refuse to connect. Am I alone in this situation? Any advice? I did ask a friend for help but, if there existed some tool/ technique I do not know about that would assist me I certainly would like to know. Thanks fellas!
Mike

In some cases it's easier to use different plug boots to make them snap on. Try 90 degree boots or straight on some.

Was the grease only applied to the porcelain part of the plug? Have you tried using an uninstalled plug in-hand to get a better idea why it won't snap on?

Was the grease only applied to the porcelain part of the plug? Have you tried using an uninstalled plug in-hand to get a better idea why it won't snap on?
Oh, yes. I wouldn't have posted if I hadn't tried everything I could think of. I am greasing up the boot interior and the plug terminal.
Mike

Just a guess, but if there is any excess grease being pushed into the female terminal connector, the terminal may be trying to displace it and not allowing it to fully insert. I would try to remove as much grease as possible and see if it improves anything.
I am greasing up the boot interior and the plug terminal.
Mike

Just a guess, but if there is any excess grease being pushed into the female terminal connector, the terminal may be trying to displace it and not allowing it to fully insert. I would try to remove as much grease as possible and see if it improves anything.
No. I did not "hydralic" the plug boots!
Mike

I was provided a set of MSD plug wires when I picked up my 540 from Muscle Motors back in 2016. They appear to be top quality but, I am having great difficulty getting them to snap onto the plug connection. I have them lubed right up with dielectric grease but, due to location and mainly my arm/ hand strength I have several wires that refuse to connect. Am I alone in this situation? Any advice? I did ask a friend for help but, if there existed some tool/ technique I do not know about that would assist me I certainly would like to know. Thanks fellas!
Mike
take a spare spark plug and snap it in on the wire you are trying to snap on to the plug in the engine do this a few times to unspring the terminal

You are not alone. This can be a real pain on some hard to reach plugs.
I do what vance.dykes said.
Take a spare one and plug/unplug it many times to get a feel and also to get a new connector a bit more friendlier.
After that its time for the gymnast that lives inside you and climb into the engine bay.

Mike, you could change the engine to a Hemi, the plugs are easier to get at !!!

I had several straight boot plug wires I had issues getting on in my Abody for lack of space. I ordered 90° boots but was sent straights.
Here's #7 and a straight boot. Right up against the steering. Could not get it on until I lubed the boot and slid it up the wire. Got the connection made then slid the boot down around it. Could have waited for the correct boots ..........but I didn't, Lol.
A couple days later a full set of 90° boots the supplier sent showed up. Worked fine and dandy........
1700172468793.png

How much power would I lose doing that? I'm happy so far with 765/753#:).
Mike
Mike, it was in Jest only. I'm dealing with the Same "Vintage" Issues, like Many of Us !!!

Ok, could be too elementary and something you already did: Does the terminal connection loop snap onto the plug, sliding the boot back in order to view this? As posted using a mule plug could help you out.

Ok, could be too elementary and something you already did: Does the terminal connection loop snap onto the plug, sliding the boot back in order to view this? As posted using a mule plug could help you out.
I did use a plug to determine effort required to snap on and it was considerable. The silicone boot is also very "grabby" and just adds to the effort required. Rather embarrassing for a guy who once shouldered 465 lbs. in college. Oh well.
Mike

What about the upper a arm cam adjustment holes? Front one maybe won't help, but rear could.

What about the upper a arm cam adjustment holes? Front one maybe won't help, but rear could.
I tried those too. Just not quite the right angle. Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I think after performing the hot valve lash I will work each connector a dozen times with a spare plug to relax the spring tension and cross my fingers!
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back