• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone run a deep cycle battery in their car?

YY1

Local time
9:02 PM
Reaction score
I got stranded once, in my Satellite, and happened to be in a "Dick's sporting goods" parking lot.

I went in to see if they had batteries and came out with an Exide "dual mode" deep cycle/starting battery for only $70.

It has been one of the best batteries I've ever had. It's been in my Satellite for three and 1/2 years and has done time in my 440 powered D150 which used to have a hard starting issue.

My Dakota battery just took a dump. It's an Interstate and is newer than the Exide.

I'd love to get another Exide dual mode but apparently they only make that in group 24.

They have a group 27 that's listed as marine/RV, and has 675 CCA, but does not specifically say "starting".

What's the implication?

I also thought just getting another dual mode group 24. That's what I'm using until I find one I want. Dakotas are kind of car-like trucks anyway.....

I had a deep cycle marine battery in the Daytona for a few years...it was a group 27...it only lasted 3 years until I had to replace it

I'll stick with a standard car battery in the Interstate brand

I ran a yellow Optima in my R/T for about 9 or 10 years until it finally got weak. I still Charge it up and use it when I go camping. I have a 12 volt led light set up that lites up the campsite pretty well. They have gone up 70 to 80 $$ since I bought mine. Over 200 now but still worth it IMO.

If you get a good deal on a deep cycle battery I don't see any reason you can't use one. That said, IMHO a deep cycle battery doesn't provide enough benefit in regular automotive use to justify the extra cost. In my experience they don't last any longer than regular batteries, but I never let my batteries become badly discharged. A good quality maintenance charger will help a good quality battery last a long time. I just recently changed a Mopar battery that lasted 15 years. Not too bad.

I've got three Schumacher smart chargers, two are maintainers and one is a 10A.

The marine/rv and deep/starting are actually cheaper than the regular batteries from the same company!

An explanation I got from a pro mechanic fried is that a deep cycle charging cycle is supposed to be long and an automotive circuit may charge too fast.

I think I'll just keep running the deep/start dual mode group 24 that I currently have in there and see how it does. It's already past the year three mark, and as I said, has outlasted an Interstate group 27 and seen duty on a 440 that needed multiple starts to get going.

Auto Transport Service
Back