• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone running a electronic voltage regulator?

Heimedw

Local time
11:22 PM
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has upgraded there voltage regulator to electronic? I was wondering if this solves the alternator gauge bounce when charging?

Mine has the electronic version of the original regulator it was on the car when I purchased it.
Amp gauge is steady.
If everything is working correctly the old points style would not fluctuate the amp gauge either.

Check your grounds too. I have both versions of the electronic regulators. My Runner has the newer 70 and up style wired in and my Charger has the electronic version of the original black bigger box on the firewall from 69 and back. Both work flawlessly. I did have issue with needles bouncing and both got way better when I installed the ground strap on the engine to firewall. The runner's was missing completely and the Chargers was dirty as all hell. Anything on that circuit with bad grounds and crusty connections will raise hell with the gauge bouncing. Amazing what a good ground will get ya. That was eye opening for me with this situation.

I'm running an electric voltage regulator on my 62 Belvedere. It is the same style black box, only electronic components inside. I am running it in conjunction with a Pertronix II ignition and coil. Stock one wire alternator. Madd bypass done. The ammeter stays pretty steady but at hot idle it will dip down and bounce a little if the lights are on (you can see them dim).

I'm thinking about your '64?

I didn't even try my original points type and installed the look a like electronic. Bought it off of FleaBay. I did notice there were ones out there that didn't have the embossed letters.

So far it's worked flawless, no pulsing, flickering lights and it's charging proper voltage.
20170701_001750.jpg

That's the one I was getting ready to post. It has the gold anodized frame.

K/K do you remember or can you look up seller? Been using the blue regulator, think its eating batteries. 4/5 years and issues start.

I looked through my receipts and couldn't find the seller. Ebay won't keep records like they used to either. The one that threewood posted looks just like it and the price looks the same.

That's the one I was getting ready to post. It has the gold anodized frame.

View attachment 772126
I looked through my receipts and couldn't find the seller. Ebay won't keep records like they used to either. The one that threewood posted looks just like it and the price looks the same.

Half way down the page,bought from him,used my old cover,works perfect.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2639945/Searchpage/1/Main/218354/Words/+voltage++regulator/Search/true/voltage-regulator.html#Post2639945

P8080491.JPG

I went to a 70s style. The electronic version of the original was keeping the voltage too high with the new alternator. Probably a fine chinesium design.

I bought the one mentioned in the ebag link. My battery kept crapping out, parts store tested and warrantied the alt then batt.
Put the new vr in and charging perfectly and can easily adjust when accessories on.

I run the newer Mopar two isolated field wire alt and regulator which you can see in this pic. It works fine for me as I have run it since 2006. Ron

413957239.jpg

I purchased the vintage look electronic regulator from ebay, than found out it is only recommended for 65 amp or less alt. I want to use 95 amp alt. Any recommendations for electronic regulator that can handle higher amps? thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back