• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

? Approx value of Hemi Swapped '63 Belvedere?

A purchase price only establishes value when the item is sold on the open market AND available for for a reasonable amount of time. I'm a Realtor, I know what's a comp & what's not. When someone gets a "Bro Deal" --- like I may have on this car--- it does not equate to Free Market value.

So I came here hoping to get a ballpark, rough estimate from the good folks more heavily involved in this vintage of B Body, & type of mods, than myself.

--------------- I have no knowledge in this arena! Thx, -----MM

so,what im getting from your posts is this.
youve bought a Hemicar!!
except..its just a 392 hemi...
the wrong year and size for your " a990 clone" or max wedge mobile.
you may not have known this or known how much it would affect the value,
when you bought the car at a Buddy deal.
i highly suspect that is why you are here now fishing for values.

the info we need,is what gear is in the rear,
whats the mods for Fuel,is it all stock stuff?
has the suspension been updated or stock
have the brakes been updated are they disc or drums/gasp
whats the interior look like and pics please.

and finally,what was your buddy deal price?
believe me when i say this,some of the smartest people in mopars are on this forum and can and will tell you what you have to the penny.
if you are truly looking for the bottom line,just be honest w these guys.

You can find market values on the net; however very broad brush and relate to the vehicle in stock condition classed by its condition, model, and engine. Resto mods, as your car is (and mine to a lesser extent as I view yours) are a crap shoot with value. Very well done resto-mods can bring surprisingly high dollars as you will find at auctions for those who want an old car but with modern upgrades to cruise and not store in a garage or museum to gawk at. There's no official classifications for these vehicles. The further you move away from stock the more foggy its value becomes. I've invested near to 50k in my car and realize I might get half that on a sale; but I, as other car guys have said they've done, build their cars for them - to their tastes - to enjoy it and don't give a rip about the value. If you're in the car hobby to flip and make big bucks, those cars are rare and highly desired...except if you buy one of those, you'll pay huge bucks to get it. And it's also about some buyer out there who just might be all giddy about the particular car you have and willing to pay more bucks for it.

not sure about the engine , but 392's are sot after engines . it should bring 10k just on its own , a bud just sold this stocker with his made manifold with four twin jet rocher's on for 13k .

DSC00995.JPG DSC00996.JPG DSC00997.JPG

ive seen them on the Swap shop for as little as 3500 to 5,000 running condition.
sometimes built up sometimes just a runner.
they are great for hotrods and ratrods.....

that intake sure is cool tho.

well that one sold to a guy in texas for 13k , he pick it up personally . that one in the car is a proven driver , it should bring more than 5000 , just my two cents .

In my humble opinion, early hemis dont belong in 62-65 mopars, they just dont look right.
IF that car was mine, this is what i would do (especially just to flip it).... I would look for a guy who wants a 392 for a street rod or gasser (very proper home for a 392), show him how well it runs, still in the car, sell motor and trans (it mates to the early hemis , not a 440, next suggestion).
Next i would find a decent running 440, throw on an A&A crossram (looks right, belongs on a 63) market it as a max tribute car . DO NOT TRY TO PASS IT OFF AS A REAL MAX!!! Anybody with enough money to buy a real max will know its a fake

OR... just keep it and enjoy it!!

The car is what we in the 1911 Pistol World would call a mixmaster. Various parts assembled to form a working gun with no concern for originality or matching numbers. And YES! I was sold the moment I rolled up to the car. She looked great, with just (to me) the right amount of imperfection. And the Hemi just sealed the deal. "Wrong" engine or not. It looks fantastic, sounds incredible, and makes plenty of power.

Plus I love the & Old Man style mods, like those leather Escalade seats. The seat's power adjustments work, the color happens to match the door cards, and they feel better than any 1963 Spring & Vinyl bench. They wouldn't have been MY choice, but the old guy dug them so I've decided to dig them too (after removing the headrests) in honor of him.

Btw, It's running 4 wheel drums! Like the supercharged, welded-diff 4 Speed Comet I once had: Fast and frightening. I'm going to make them work as well as possible & see how I feel at that point. Might hafta go front disc if it's still too scary. But I've owned plenty of crummy brake cars like my 1933 Buick. Ya gotta drive with forethought & long-range vision.

Flip it? Maybe, maybe not. That depends on how much I like it when it's sorted out. After purchase I had it flat-bedded straight to my favorite shop where Harold's been fixing cars since the 1950's. Once he's done with whatever it needs right away, I'll pick her up & delve in deeper to see exactly what the heck I have.

Thanks for your responses.

Well personally I think its a very cool car. Not exactly my preference, but I like the ingenuity and uniqueness of it. The 392 is very cool, I have a Desoto 330 in my 52 Dodge B3B and love it.

Well I like it. Could be that I'm biased. I got 2 63's.:thumbsup:

lol did you notice how everyone pretty much stopped after you finally answered ?
its because you didnt really answer much at all.
like how much you paid for it,which means you probably Are going to be flipping it.

the only detail you gave us was the car still has drum brakes which,more than likely,
means this is nothing more than a lipstick on a pig car.
normally,that term would describe a painted up rusty beater car,
but in this case its more of a old car that was sitting around with low miles,
we stuck some wheels on it ,some cushy front seats cause the mice ate the old ones ,
threw this older hemi in it and hey " that guy bought it"
more than likely,
Nothing has been upgraded but hey it looks good right.
( try to keep in mind we are Hoping that this Isnt the case and the car is Way better )

you should ask " Harold " to make sure they arent still running the " tiny " original fuel line as well.
you should also ask Harold what he Really thinks about the car.
you should ask Harold what he thinks of 33imps post as well,
because hes nailed it to the wall if you want to make money.

This car was NOT a Hemi-swapped lipsticked pig by a disreputable seller. Far from it. The fellow is a very cool guy but is physically not up to working on cars anymore.
He had the car at least back to '04 and built it to his taste. That's when the engine was done for him by a local shop, but he had no paperwork on the build.

So I contacted the shop & the man who built the engine is still there! He remembers the customer but that was many engines ago. All he could remember was, best he could recall, is that it had a Crower cam (no specs) and 10:1 compression. He said he would dig around for any records he could find. So I posted no info on the engine because I have none. It's clearly a strong motor but that's about it for known details, so far.

Yes, reselling the car will happen but WHEN depends on how much I like it and/or how much I like whatever else comes along. From what I've seen here & further poking around I think I got a good deal on it, but not an amazing one. "not hosed" is where I set the bar. Nobody likes getting hosed.

I got a plenty fair deal on my Lotus Seven too, and after 12 years I still like it. Yet an Ariel Atom could turn my head! My '70 Monte Carlo is.....meh. My affinity for it has tapered off over time. Will probably sell or swap it away. That's how it goes for a lot of non-Jay Leno type motorheads. A rotating collection because we can't keep them all.

Btw, I know this Belvedere has a rack & pinion setup which I think was needed to squeeze in the engine + an aftermarket steering column. The tach is under the hood but i'm going to move it inside. The wheels are exactly what I would have chosen, given the funds to do so. And I really like the IBM Keyboard beige color. No sparkle, flames, or skulls. It doesn't need that stuff.

The good news? Customs and their value are on the rise. Bad news. They are still by far the toughest to price. but if I had a gun to my head saying "Price it or die?" I would look at what I would pay vs what I would need to sell. (Bid vs Ask)

To start. If I ran across this car for $20k? I would have no problem paying that assuming description matches what I'm seeing. Selling? I know cars starting in the $60k are numbers matching or customs with higher end performance options. Not saying it couldn't sell for $60k+. Just getting less realistic. So the mean price between $20k and $60k? $40k?

I know this is a bit dumbed down logic. And there is likely variables that are not considered. But a "Off the cuff" answer? To an off the cuff question? Condition would dictate on which side of $40k? You mentioned body fill? Then price would tick down under $40k. Where you and the buyer shake hands? Well that's none of our business.

JMO of course. I could be wrong.

IMO this is one of the better things with custom cars over restorations or original cars is that custom cars tend to get priced on what they are worth as cars/vehicles and not as collector pieces. As much as I love Mopars, it is hard to fathom some of the prices being asked these days, I find it ridiculous to be honest and its only this way because collectors and investors pay it. Anyway, sorry for the hijack...

I agree. I've never been a Concours Numbers Matching Originality guy. Maybe because I'm not willing to spend the money that takes, or maybe because I just like modifying / improving things. Making a car better, to me, nets more fun than making it original. That's what hotrodding is about.

Btw, I was thinking about what a poster said about an early Hemi in a later car not looking right to him. I get that. But I think that on another level it IS "period correct" to rock an early motor because I think it's what many guys did back in the day. I don't think that many high school rodders in the '60's / '70's had the dough to swap a new 426 into their beaters. So like now, they just got the best junkyard mills their modest budget allowed.

I bet that nearly every Imperial & New Yorker in the boneyard surrendered it's engine to a motorhead. Same as now. Currently not many kids are buying Hellcat engines for their crappy Charger sedans. That takes SEMA Show money.

So I'm cool with the "wrong" engine because I think it's representative of the time. Except that the intake setup on this one is kinda Fancy-Pants. Once some guys were giving me crap about the Porto Wall "flappies" fake whitewalls on a 1926 Dodge rat rod I had. Then an Old Dude chimed in. He said "we all ran flappies back in the day. None of us could afford real whtewalls. Some of us even used white paint"

A 392 is nothing to laugh at, remember they were the top fuel predecessor to the 426 and they did pretty well. A hemi is a hemi and in a Mopar, virtually any Mopar they are cool.

My car is not and never will be a hemi car. It has a 2006 hemi in it and many look down on that and I get it. It was built for speed and comfort both. I have said before, to take a car like mine that might have had a 383 or a hemi and swap a modern drive train in it is a sin. It's still a blast to drive and at the end of the day, that's what I was looking for.

My car is not and never will be a hemi car. It has a 2006 hemi in it and many look down on that and I get it. It was built for speed and comfort both. I have said before, to take a car like mine that might have had a 383 or a hemi and swap a modern drive train in it is a sin. It's still a blast to drive and at the end of the day, that's what I was looking for.

Anyone who would look down on it is an idiot, sounds like an awesome car and truthfully so long as you like it, thats all that counts. Anyone who says anything negative or critical about any of my cars I respond with "good thing your name isn't on the title"... Don't get me wrong, I am very open to constructive criticism and advice, but some people are just haters and want to talk crap most of the time about something they don't know anything about.

Nice car. Still don’t know what was paid for it.

That's between me & the DMV. This isn't my first rodeo, I know how things go on online forums. If I disclose what I paid some folks will mock me, saying I'm a sucker that got ripped off, some will say I ruthlessly stole it, and others will say that somehow it's market value is affected by my purchase price. But it does not.

So I'm not going to open that can o' worms. I'll just say that some folks here would have bought it & some would have passed.

Don't like people asking what I paid for anything
I own.
If I want to disclose that's another story.

Auto Transport Service
Back